So what city-states are you missing?

Some suggestions from Eastern Europe:

Gdańsk/Danzig - important port city in northern Poland and member of the Hanseatic League, was fought over by Germany and Poland. Pomerania was also a target of Swedish conquest, although I believe they never went as far East as Danzig.

Prague - Now the capital of the Czech republic, it was an important city in Bohemia and the capital for the Holy Roman Empire.

Dubrovnik - In modern day Croatia, it was a city-state and commercial rival to Venice in the Middle Ages. Between the 14th and 19th centuries, under the slavic name Rugosa, it was ruled as an autonomous free state, though under different powers.

Bratislava/Preßburg - Modern capital of Slovakia, was once the capital of the Kingdom of Hungary.

I bet all of those end up either as Ottoman or German cities, since Germany seems to mean "Holy Roman, Prussia, and modern Germany all at once". Weren't the Janissaries originally Slovakian, and joined the Ottomans after they were conquered? Or was it Serbians?

Also, I noticed there are no Spanish or Portuguese city-state names, does that mean a Spanish civilization will be worked on as an add-on? Obvious suggestions would be Madrid, Barcelona, Lisbon.

I'm also assuming Cardiff is already being used in one of the civs.. also Sardis, probably by the Ottomans.

Cardiff may be an English city, but it'd be the first time that I've ever seen.

The Spanish and Portuguese were both too powerful at their times not to include, I'm expecting at least one to be in the first DLC.

I don't really think Helsinki should've been a city state in the first place. Maritime fits it best, though, since I don't see the Finns launching crusades or conquering foreign peoples or anything.

Aren't Finns to this day the most armed people on the planet?

Just like theres no Spanish city-state. I suggested its to leave open the possibility for additions.

(Also I'd have suggested Antwerp instead of Brussels)

And to top that Ghent and Bruges were commercially seen more important too. ;)
Anyway, Brussels is an interesting choice because it was the principal city in the low countries during the Spanish era.

Aren't Finns to this day the most armed people on the planet?

I don't really think Helsinki should've been a city state in the first place. Maritime fits it best, though, since I don't see the Finns launching crusades or conquering foreign peoples or anything.

The Finnish troops made some of the best regiments in the Swedish army. Together with the Swedish, the Finns indeed conquered and launched crusades. During World War Two, Finnish armies stood far into Russia during the War of Continuation 1941-44. It was a war of conquest, intended to create a Greater Finland.

Today the army holds a strong position in Finnish society and we all do our military service as well. The Defence Forces indeed see to it that Finland today has the strongest army in Northern Europe and we are armed to our teeth.

But naah. Helsinki shouldn't have been a city state.

Christchurch?
Who would even say such a thing? If you're going to have a New Zealand city (and I don't really think you should) it'd be Auckland (where almost 1/3 of the population lives) or Wellington (the capital) not Christchurch (most boring city in the southern hemisphere).

Also:
Antwerp and Flanders. And Luxembourg and Navarra.

I also don't white agree with Edinburgh being counted as militaristic either, it was an intellectual center in England so should be regarded as cultured. They also constructed a big wall there for protection against English attacks.

Edinburgh is in Scotland. It was an intellectual center in Britain. Scotland as a whole could be considered militaristic though.

This whole capitals of modern nation-states as city-states is some BS. I'm only keeping a handful of the 28 in the game. Here's some I will add:

Teotihuacan, Tlaxcala, Monte Alban, Moche, Tiwanaku, maybe Huari and Chan-Chan, Great Zimbabwe, Kongo, Kilwa, Zanzibar, Benin!, Oyo, Ife, Kano, maybe Napata, Byblos, Jerusalem, Palmyra, maybe Hattusa, Malacca, Angkor, Pagan, maybe Majapahit, Zurich, Ghent, Antwerp, Kiev, maybe Krakow, Naples and Riga

Cardiff may be an English city, but it'd be the first time that I've ever seen.

I'm 99.99% sure it won't be. They probably just felt the British Isles (England + Edinburgh + Dublin) were well represented.

There are some ancient cities that can be included:

Pessinus -- city of Phrygian empire which was ruled by King Midas.
Knossos -- Minoan city , I don't remember if its a Greek city in the game, I doubt it

Also for the middle east:

Jericho

The Finnish troops made some of the best regiments in the Swedish army. Together with the Swedish, the Finns indeed conquered and launched crusades. During World War Two, Finnish armies stood far into Russia during the War of Continuation 1941-44. It was a war of conquest, intended to create a Greater Finland.

Today the army holds a strong position in Finnish society and we all do our military service as well. The Defence Forces indeed see to it that Finland today has the strongest army in Northern Europe and we are armed to our teeth.

But naah. Helsinki shouldn't have been a city state.

But you just totes justified them being a city-state. I don't actually know anything about WWII other than what was in Cryptonomicon, but it seems like the Finns managed to infuriate and play every superpower against each other and come out with only modest scratches and cool machine guns.

Whether they should be Maritime or Militaristic is really a question of time frame.

I suggest some for America.

Chichen Itza - Was one of the most important Mayan city-states

Mutal - Another important Mayan city-state

Panama city - Important because of its channel.

Bahia - Was the first Portuguese city founded on Brazil.

Bogota - Since we won't have a Gran Columbian civ.

San Juan - the capital of Puerto Rico.

Honololu - Capital of Hawaii

But you just totes justified them being a city-state. I don't actually know anything about WWII other than what was in Cryptonomicon, but it seems like the Finns managed to infuriate and play every superpower against each other and come out with only modest scratches and cool machine guns.

Whether they should be Maritime or Militaristic is really a question of time frame.

ski warfare

I suggest some for America.

Chichen Itza - Was one of the most important Mayan city-states

Mutal - Another important Mayan city-state

Panama city - Important because of its channel.

Bahia - Was the first Portuguese city founded on Brazil.

Bogota - Since we won't have a Gran Columbian civ.

San Juan - the capital of Puerto Rico.

Honololu - Capital of Hawaii

I expect the Mayans and the Incas will both be getting some love in the DLC.

Panama is also a giant financial center, as lots of companies have second headquarters there to monitor their supply chains.

Honolulu is going to be part of the US's list, I bet. San Juan will never receive the love it deserves.

Just gona throw this out there but shouldnt Vatican City be in there? Cultured and Irrational.

I expect the Mayans and the Incas will both be getting some love in the DLC.

Panama is also a giant financial center, as lots of companies have second headquarters there to monitor their supply chains.

Honolulu is going to be part of the US's list, I bet. San Juan will never receive the love it deserves.

Bogota has nothing to do with the Incans so why shoulnd't it be included. Also for Africa I belive Great Zimbabawe could be a city-state. Others could be Ceuta - an important trading center on the North of Africa that was conquered by the Portuguese in 1415 and later wrestled by the Spainish. Oran - in modern Algiers. Rabat - In Morrocco, Tunis and Zanzibar.

Top Bottom