Some questions about sight

Athenaeum

Prince
Sometimes my units can spot enemy units (usually barbs) that are three tiles away, even though the enemy units are nowhere near my borders and I don't have any sight promotions with them. I thought normally the maximum sight is 2, and only provided that there are no obstacles like rough terrain.

Is there some rule where your units can see certain things that are 3 tiles away?

Also how close do you have to be to a city-state or its borders in order to officially "meet" it?

1. When you are on the hill you can see 3 tiles away, and you can see hill which is 3 tiles away from you.

2. You have to enter border tile, or meet city-state unit. (there is a bug: you can meet city-state
which is in the middle of unexplored area, but I do not know what causes this)

If the CS has a unit on a tile, you meet the CS by spotting the unit (so, with a hill, this could be 3 tiles away). Like Dedrytus wrote, otherwise you have to walk right up to the border. Meeting a CS which is in the middle of unexplored area happens when you come across one of their units -- usually a boat of some kind.

That 'bug' can also be caused by something else linking you to the city-state like them being allies with someone who declares war on you. They have to declare war too and you can't be at war with someone you haven't met.

1. When you are on the hill you can see 3 tiles away, and you can see hill which is 3 tiles away from you.

2. You have to enter border tile, or meet city-state unit. (there is a bug: you can meet city-state
which is in the middle of unexplored area, but I do not know what causes this)

1.)You can see units which are on a hill that are 3 tiles away. Being on a hill does not increase YOUR sight range for some reason. It only allows you to see over forest and jungle not on a hill. It also allows you to see mountains/mountain wonders that are very far away.

2.)To meet a CS you need to see one of its units or touch its border. If you are 1 hex away and its border grows to your unit that does not meet the CS. You can see where a CS is if you get a map but that map does not make you meet the CS. It's not a bug. The same goes for other civilizations. you can see their cap with a map but have not met them yet. Also, if you go to war with a civ, every CS they are allied with will declare war on you regardless of their location on the map. This reveals them to you.

Top Bottom