Something I thought as weird: Why is there no Civ IV domination victory?

gigaagig

Chieftain
Hey guys. I was just wondering; do you know why Civ IV's domination victory [control 2/3~ landmass and world population] was not implemented in Civ V? At first glance it seems like it'd make Civ V's domination less tedious on some maps [example, maps with dozen+ capitals].

I don't see how controlling that much would ever be less tedious than sniping the opponents capitals.

Part of the point, I suppose, is to test your military might against everyone and not just some.

Although I think they borrowed from CivRev.

The Civ5 system has led to some actually challenges where a final capital is particularly difficult to capture. With Civ4, it was always "oh thank god, I've got enough of the world." The moment of victory was never all that impressive.

On the other hand, I miss being able to raze capitals, so I guess that evens out.

Vassals land counted for 1/2 too right? so it was even easier than it sounds.

It was either 1/2 or 1/3, but yes, it made things a lot more plausible.

Really, the X-Com is BNW's answer to how to make finishing a domination game less tedious: rather than painstakingly moving a number of units across an ocean or a landmass and having to re-plot the route when some random AI unit gets in the way, X-Com's allow you to jump right to the capital (assuming you can see it via spies or whatever) and save many turns of movement. This way, that last out-of-the-way capital in a puny AI civ is much quicker to take.

Moreover, I never exactly liked the idea that I or an AI could win a military victory (or, worse, lose the game) without facing each other. In the current system, I am safe from losing a domination game so long as I can defend myself; in the old system (civ 4), I could have a decent military and still lose because I happened to start on a smaller continent than the eventual winner and was too busy fighting a stubborn warmonger neighbor.

Top Bottom