[Speculation] Italian States/Papal States/Venice

In what way is simplicity a problem? A scenario isn't a full game, so they're inherently simplistic (a feature, not a flaw). And insomuch as Civilization isn't a painstaking historical recreations, but an excursion into alternate history, scenarios are often "wrong" in many areas as well.

Well, I didn't mention any of those. They'd probably exist as city-states, if at all. I'm thinking it should really just be the powerhouse of Venice, Genoa, and Florence that are playable, with their "republic" consisting of about three cities, and having to expand from there.

Their status as city-states or "full-blown states" is pretty moot as far as a secnario goes. In the Fall of Rome scenario, you can play Rome or Persia, or you can play barbarians like the Vandals or Goths.

The problem is that Genoa was crushed around the 14th century and was ofttimes a vassal of Milan, if a quite rebellious one. Milan that was, between the 14th and the 15th century, THE powerhouse in North Italy, almost unifying the kingdom of old before its rules fell to the plague, leaving a disputed succession and an imbecile son that all but pulverized the whole duchy. Tuscany was not extremely involved in trade, and Naples occupied a full half of the peninsula by itself, up to Rome. You can ignore them, but it is like leaving Poland, Italy and Spain out of a WWII scenario.

It should be alright IMO:

This is great!:goodjob:
I love it, it's unique and looks very fitting for Italy. It's also easily distinguishable from England's and Sweden's crowns.

It's unique enough, but not as good looking I think...

The crown would be better for a Renaissance Italy too. (The star icon reminds me of Heineken for some reason)

Very nice icon, but I don't like it as much as the other one. It reminds me either of San Pellegrino or some Communist African country(probably because of the dark green).

The gear reminds me of Angola. Given the color choices remaining, that red and green make the most sense, but I agree there's something slightly off.

But Angola also has an awesome machete! XD

Besides, I just found my old mod for vanilla civ5:

It had Italy with Garibaldi as the leader.
The trait was "Renaissance communes" that was giving -25% culture needed to unlock social policies and +50% culture required for border expansion.

UU was the "Humanist", who was a great artist replacement and could also bulb a tecnology like the great scientist.

UB was the "Piazza" which replaced the circus, didn't require horses and increased GP generation by 15%.

Originally it had the "Alpino" as a UU, with mobility and bonus combat on rough terrain (do not remember the name...drill?), but I felt it was not enough unique in the end.

Probably not really balanced, but it offered a fun gameplay :D

Without the brickwork, the mural crown can easily be mistaken for a regular crown at a glance. Might help to invert the colors, as the darker blue serves as negative space against the brighter yellow. But I suspect this was intentional design so I guess a yellow crown winds up looking like somebody else...?
It's a combination of factors; the yellow on blue is a tad reminiscent of both Sweden and France. I also decided on this particular color combination because of the Medici coat of arms.

I really love the star-on-cog design, sans laurels, as it evokes Italy distinctly. I'm partial to the red-green color scheme as well.
A part of why I dislike it is that it reminds me more of the Italian Republic than the Renaissance Italian States, which is what I'm hoping this civ might represent, the color scheme also feels less European than I'd like.

Another consideration is that the mural crown was in use by other powers as well, and it's more inidicative of a link to Rome than the identity of Italy.
Alternatively we could use the Crossed Keys of the Papal State, Saint Marks lion from The Most Serene Republic, or even the Medici Coat of Arms. I even considered the Vitruvian Man, but that'd be horrible if it wasn't line art.

If Italy isn't in I just hope my UA is modable (Men of the Renaissance; All Great People can produce Great Works. Great Artists, Musicians and Writers may be expended to create extra Great Work slots), I think that'd be cool.

If Italy isn't in I just hope my UA is modable (Men of the Renaissance; All Great People can produce Great Works. Great Artists, Musicians and Writers may be expended to create extra Great Work slots), I think that'd be cool.

:thumbsup: "L'uomo Universale" was what they called that back in the day: "The Universal Man".

Well, I gotta say after hearing about how France is slated for a culture/tourism revamp, I get the feeling that the chances for Itly sink lower still.

:thumbsup: "L'uomo Universale" was what they called that back in the day: "The Universal Man".
Thank you for the info!

Well, I gotta say after hearing about how France is slated for a culture/tourism revamp, I get the feeling that the chances for Itly sink lower still.
We still haven't seen a single Italian City State yet, have we? Suspicious if you ask me. But yeah, the France revamp makes Italy slightly less likely.

I gonna continue hoping I won't get to use this:
Spoiler :

O_O that is incredible sukritact!
Thank Ubisoft!

I hope that if Italy is in this expansion it's going to get this music for the war theme XD
Even a DLC later would be nice. Shame no one's figured out how to add new audio. Then we could find someone to record some lines in Italian and a DOM Speech, add some music. Then we'd have everything but an animated leader...

Ed mentioned in an interview that there's going to be multiple culturemongers in BNW. We can still keep hoping that Italy is one of them.:worship:

...or keep hoping it is not. :gripe:

Ed mentioned in an interview that there's going to be multiple culturemongers in BNW. We can still keep hoping that Italy is one of them.:worship:
Continuerò sperando! I'm really hopeful, since we've gone so long without seeing either Venice, Genoa, Florence, Milan (are there any more?)

yes buddy im with ya. Blatant overlap with Rome and just another european civ.
It's probably not my place to ask (and I suppose this is the correct place for you to post it), but could we please keep Italy bashing out of this thread at this point? We've gone through all the tired and repeated arguments by this point. All anyone can do is repeat the same stuff over and over. Overlap with Rome, Covered by City-States, etc.

O_O that is incredible sukritact!

I hope that if Italy is in this expansion it's going to get this music for the war theme XD

This music would fit great with Italy. I could imagine it as Lorenzo´s or Cesare´s theme. Forza Italia! There are still strong posibilities.

Top Bottom