still not a word about my allied CS getting attacked

gettingfat

Emperor
I threw in 8 envoys on Carthage to make sure nobody can challenge my suzerain status. Suddenly it was conquered and a dozen of my trade routes got disabled. Not a single warning, nothing shown up in diplomacy. Hey, this is under my protection ! What was my annoying was that CB that allows no warmongering for liberating an allied CS was not available. I had like 25 cities and was not going to monitor the status of CS all the time. This is quite annoying.

I threw in 8 envoys on Carthage to make sure nobody can challenge my suzerain status. Suddenly it was conquered and a dozen of my trade routes got disabled. Not a single warning, nothing shown up in diplomacy. Hey, this is under my protection ! What was my annoying was that CB that allows no warmongering for liberating an allied CS was not available. I had like 25 cities and was not going to monitor the status of CS all the time. This is quite annoying.

Did you have delegates out at the other civs? Are you sure you did not miss a notification in the sidebar? I see a notification on the sidebar anytime anyone goes to war with anyone (including CS even if I am not suze). I even get a notification when a CS declares war on another CS (because it became suzerain of a civ at war)

Yeah, for me constantly. I agree with OP that this needs to be made more obvious.

Well actually he said there was not a single warning. That is a lot different from needing to be made more obvious. Crossed swords on the sidebar seems like sufficient warning to me. Just gotta take the time to read who is going at it. IF he indeed did not receive a notification then it could be a bug. But if you don't take the time to read the notifications on the side then that is user error.

Perhaps I missed the sidebar which I can't be sure, but I agree that they should make it way more obvious. On a huge map so many things going on and it's really hard to pay attention to one sidebar sign. The lack of diplomatic means to warn the agressor you are touching something under my protection imho also leaves a lot to desire.

I am pretty sure the CB for liberating an allied CS was not activated, and this is not the first time.

I also realized sometimes after liberation, the suzerain bonus tends to disappear even I am clearly the suzerain. This happened most to Auckland, or maybe just because losing Auckland's bonus is just too obvious.

Incidentally, this is where diplomatic visibility works good on paper but is terrible in practice when you get utterly spammed with useless message about people building granaries in obscure villages.

Certain messages like war should probably gain prominence on the screen as opposed to other crap which should be in the side bar.

Civ V's notification system was way better. I don't even know when i complete quests in 6.

I was really annoyed when a civ I had an alliance with attacked a CS I was the suzerain of. That should not be allowed.

Actually, I think Beyond Earth handled the notifications really well - and communication with the AI in general.

Everything showed up in a list that you could click on to read anytime during your turn, and instead of interrupting the end turn with pointless "you are so weak" or "you are such a great leader" messages, these came up as communications that you could review during your turn. I think this was a much better way of doing things, and I'm confused why the Civ 6 interface is less polished.

That now reminds me of this:

Works for me. Sure I must admit that the notification could be better. I got a notification that I had earned a Protection CB against Germany. Lucky me there was only two CSs near Germany so I didn't have to go through the whole list (would have been better if it was listed under Germany which CS he was at war with). And so far that I remember, this have worked. When it comes to notifications, they are easily missed, especially those that are grouped and if you missed them (by clicking end turn), you really missed them. Some notification linger until you remove them, others don't. Although, what CBs you have can always be checked.

CS vulnerability remains one of my favorite bones to pick with Civ 6. Notifications are part of it. New patch makes AI seem even more likely to seize all neighboring CS's. Surrounding CS's with my own troops is not an option, especially early game. So there has to be a way to help defend CS's, especially distant ones. Just taking over their military is not enough because half the time, their military is already worn down to a nubbin. Hopefully this will be addressed in whatever expansion the game receives next.

Besides not allying with remote city-states potentially in the path of someone else's military what could be done to prevent this? If you had noticed the notification you would have sent soldiers all the way over there?

Game needs more diplomatic depth and options, among other things.

I was in the diplomatic panel last night and noticed I had a Casus belli on a faction because they'd attacked one of my city-states.

But I had no idea that city-state had been attacked.

Yeah, notifications could be better.

In one game I used a liberation CB to free a CS and peaced as soon as possible. After the peace treaty was over I noticed that i still had the liberation CB on Poland even though i „fixed” that in the previous war . Basically i had a free no warmonger penalty casus belli against Poland for the rest of the game without Poland having any othe CS. So many things could be improved with CSs...
And to be on point I had no idea when Poland attacked it , I didnt notice when it was captured(the CS) . I didnt even remember being its suzerain.

I really miss the option from earlier versions to gift military units to city-states. Wish that was still available.

Once you get the civic allowing Protectorate War casus belli, it is available IFF that civ has denounced you (or visa versa). You can also check the CS to see if it is at war with a major civ since the patch.

Once you get the civic allowing Protectorate War casus belli, it is available IFF that civ has denounced you (or visa versa). You can also check the CS to see if it is at war with a major civ since the patch.

How do you check to see if the CS is at war with another Civ? I've looked at the city-state screen and didn't see it anywhere.

Click on the individual CS, either on the CS screen or on the map.

Top Bottom