Strategy objectives- Long term

Jimmy369

Warlord
All right. Start the long term scheming her so that we know what we want. For the stuff in between now and then use either the current tactics and strategy thread or resurrect the currently unused Strategy objectives- Mid term thread. Myself, I want to win in an industrial age conquest. I would like one ally and the best tech rate.

Conquest against good human players is very hard. We need to assume that other teams are as good and propably better than us, they will not be run over so easilly.

My feeling is that either domination, space or cultural will win this game...with space being the most likely.

If we are going to defeat another civ it will have to be with the help of an ally. I doubt we will be strong enough on our own to overwhelm another opponent and a long, drawn-out war of attrition will weaken us more than any gains from victory.

Conquest against good human players is very hard. We need to assume that other teams are as good and propably better than us, they will not be run over so easilly.

My feeling is that either domination, space or cultural will win this game...with space being the most likely.
You are right of course, a "conquest" victory is unlikely. I should have been more precise and said that a war with our most powerful opponent, assisted by the next most powerful ally is the way to win IMO. If we cripple out our toughest competitor, we should be able to get hopelessly ahead and win. The type of victory, space, domination, or cultural, I'm not sure which one to go for... I am just thinking that we are going to have to fight a war or two (or three) to get it. That's what I meant by conquest, poor word choice ooops.;)

I wouldn't go for cultural win as it's the easiest to stop. People will see that we are going for a culture win long in advance and all that needs to be done is to take out one of the culture cities to effectively ruin our plans. Going for culture also probably means running some :culture:% and slowing our tech rate at just the time people will want to kick our ass.

That will be fun... I just want to make sure that we are all on the same page here with no delusions... we are going to have to kill those other guys, one way or another. What if our scout were to discover another civ in the center of the mountain range? Are we ready to stomp them into messy paste?!? I think not... In fact, any opponent could wipe us out, right now with three archers:eek: We need to wake up, I say.

The key will be diplomacy. There are five teams. We can expect two solid pairs to form. The fifth will be crushed by one pair or the other unless it joins one of the alliances against the other. Contact is very important as those who meet first have the chance to form the bonds necessary to avoid being the odd team out. I expect much fighting as the game progresses.

Ok, so we have an alliance with Team Cav. We are both exploring with workboats in the opposite direction. If the map is a wheel then where do we want our third partner to be? Three possibilities (not counting no third partner which would be bad):
  1. If the civ we meet becomes our third partner then we are between our allies. Good for defense as long as the alliance lasts, bad to be in the middle when it breaks.
  2. If the civ Team Cav meets becomes our partner then we are on the flank of the alliance.
  3. If neither of these enters our alliance and the fifth team joins us then the three of us are balanced, each of us between two rival civs.
This last one appeals to me most though I realize there are other factors to take into account. One of the other factors is which team do we want or not want? I've already stated my opinion that I think SANCTA is strong and therefore dangerous and should be isolated. Provo has indicated that he sees the Mad Scientists as unstable and weak and therefore not a good partner. What do the rest of you Kazaks think of these points?

I think with Husch, in many ways inept as the Mad Scientists leader, we would be better off without working hard to cooperate technology plans and so on with them. I foresee massive coordination problems with the aptly named Mad Scientists. We need to consider between Sancta and Saturn, depending on strategic positioning.

Mad Scientists would make a good 3rd partner because they would be easy to discard or use against Team Cav when we are down to 3 teams.

It is very simple, if that team does not earn Niklas trust, he is not letting it happen. So I disagree about finding a weak satellite as a third partner.

It is very simple, if that team does not earn Niklas trust, he is not letting it happen. So I disagree about finding a weak satellite as a third partner.

Provo, how in the heck can you tell at this point in the game who Niklas will and won't trust? :confused:

He was not happy about the speed of Mad Scientists in handling their turns, and worry about their score.

We need an army...

Now that we are getting close to our triple threat alliance, we need to think seriously about who will be responsible for defending it and how.

The answer can't be... "Each team will have its own small defense force and will come to each other's aid if one ally is attacked." If that is the strategy then we might as well :suicide: ourselves now, because there is no way that Cavalieros could help us if we were attacked (We can't help them either... we don't even know where they are:() Even once we locate them, no-one is going to want to empty their cities of defenders in order to go rushing to an ally's aid... What if you get backdoor attacked by another force? I worry that all nations will maintain minimal troop levels in order to maximize tech, thinking "We will just out-tech S-S, and they will sit back and let us win space race." :scan:

One country should have a large defensive force, with the others compensating in terms of research. That nation can maintain stop-gap forces in each partner's nation so that the partners can focus on tech, etc. This does not mean that partners will have NO army, just that they can focus on it less...

We are deluding ourselves if we think we can keep this "one city-one warrior" (or no warrior :eek:) approach up for much longer. If you have time, please vote on this thread, as to what year you estimate S-S alliance will first declare war on CavKazMs (sounds like orgasms:D). As a matter of fact, this would be a good thing to poll since it has little in-game impact. I am thinking somewhere in the 1000- 500 BC range but I will run a couple tests and give an exact year prediction later.

The team that is most responsible for "defense" of the alliance will be in the best position to dictate who gets :backstab: later on. Also, that team will have a head start in the eventual "Well it's just the two of us left..." situation at the end. :nuke:

Smoke WDYT? Do I have permission to poll the issue of what year we will be DoWed?

If I were in the presumed S-S alliance, I would want to destroy one of the Tripalliance Partners AS SOON as I became aware of the alliance, to even things up before I got too far behind. The teams are weakest at the beginning (no military, infrastructure, etc.), so they will never have a better shot at killing someone off early in the game. Since MS and Kaz are on the "outsides" of the alliance, we are the two that are presumably closer to S-S, which means we will be on the recieving end of the landing party when the time comes...:viking:

We also need to start thinking seriously about REXing to grab up more land. When Iron appears on some desert hill near the hub of the wheel, I would like it to already be in our borders, so we can hook it up quickly, rather that have to found some remote city to get it. :scared:

We should research COL, obviously, as we are by now guaranteed to get it first.

We should let Cav research as well as getting Sailing, which we need imminently and then math, to max out chops and make currency cheaper.

Metal casting and forge is another story.

We need an army...

Now that we are getting close to our triple threat alliance, we need to think seriously about who will be responsible for defending it and how.

The answer can't be... "Each team will have its own small defense force and will come to each other's aid if one ally is attacked." If that is the strategy then we might as well :suicide: ourselves now, because there is no way that Cavalieros could help us if we were attacked (We can't help them either... we don't even know where they are:() Even once we locate them, no-one is going to want to empty their cities of defenders in order to go rushing to an ally's aid... What if you get backdoor attacked by another force? I worry that all nations will maintain minimal troop levels in order to maximize tech, thinking "We will just out-tech S-S, and they will sit back and let us win space race." :scan:

One country should have a large defensive force, with the others compensating in terms of research. That nation can maintain stop-gap forces in each partner's nation so that the partners can focus on tech, etc. This does not mean that partners will have NO army, just that they can focus on it less...

We are deluding ourselves if we think we can keep this "one city-one warrior" (or no warrior :eek:) approach up for much longer. If you have time, please vote on this thread, as to what year you estimate S-S alliance will first declare war on CavKazMs (sounds like orgasms:D). As a matter of fact, this would be a good thing to poll since it has little in-game impact. I am thinking somewhere in the 1000- 500 BC range but I will run a couple tests and give an exact year prediction later.

The team that is most responsible for "defense" of the alliance will be in the best position to dictate who gets :backstab: later on. Also, that team will have a head start in the eventual "Well it's just the two of us left..." situation at the end. :nuke:

Smoke WDYT? Do I have permission to poll the issue of what year we will be DoWed?

If I were in the presumed S-S alliance, I would want to destroy one of the Tripalliance Partners AS SOON as I became aware of the alliance, to even things up before I got too far behind. The teams are weakest at the beginning (no military, infrastructure, etc.), so they will never have a better shot at killing someone off early in the game. Since MS and Kaz are on the "outsides" of the alliance, we are the two that are presumably closer to S-S, which means we will be on the recieving end of the landing party when the time comes...:viking:

We also need to start thinking seriously about REXing to grab up more land. When Iron appears on some desert hill near the hub of the wheel, I would like it to already be in our borders, so we can hook it up quickly, rather that have to found some remote city to get it. :scared:

there is no need fighting ghosts...Soon we will have chariots and we will send a couple to scout and see where the closest opponent is...In the meantime all we need to fear is barbs. As we can also see from demographics that noone is making army.

Top Bottom