Streamlined civ?????

smaller maps i imagine, lower tech costs..It might even have easier attainable victory goals..

I suspect they've drastically cut out a lot of the single-player by-yourself kinds of features. E.G.: city management is much more minimal, with more focus on interaction -- mostly war. If you've seen a game like Age of Empires, you've seen a game that spans a lot of history in a short play-time.

Yea, that wouldn't surprise me.

I noticed in one of the screen pics that democracy was in the same ranks as currency and astronomy, sooo....

On the topic of astronomy, I gotta wonder how wicked cool the Galleons will look!

I think even city positioning might be out..

There's a video about it on Gamespot from the Leipzig convention last month where they show various bits of the game (including how nukes work) while one of the designers talk about it. He said that the ways they went about streamlining it was to make the maps smaller (really smaller from what I could see, about seven tiles away from Rome was the Egyptian capital) and to cut out many of the more obscure techs from the tech tree.

I have to say, I was way more excited about this game before I saw that video. I like the complexity of Civ, I like the speed it goes at and think that it's best the way it is in Civ IV where you can choose the size of your maps and the speed of the game. Forcing small maps and fast games on people just doesn't seem like a good idea.

I'll probably still buy it though, just to keep my Civ collection complete.

I think they're trying to make a very multiplayer friendly version of Civ. Hence the need to keep games shorter. I don't personally like it, but I think it might be smart business. MP games just tend to sell better. Plus console gamers just want different things.

Top Bottom