Succession Game - Hot Culture Day

A Cultural Dragon, Part 3
Spoiler :

Played a very short and uneventful set because I see all kinds of things we need to discuss and become more focused on.

Turn 135 Looked around.

Turn 136-140 Continued military building out of MC. Units are heading up north.

Turn 141 GA in Delhi. Sent to settle in Bombay.

Turn 143 Alex wants us to war with Rosy. I said No.

Turn 144 Construction completed.

Here are my comments.

Once Bombay finishes with temple it needs to continuously build workers. We need at least 5 more.

We need to focus on our southern cities before heading up north. Delhi is working too many unimproved tiles. Plus, we need to lay down riverside grassland cottages in preparation for Universities & Oxford. MC needs chain irrigated farms so it can work more hills or workshops.

I queued up Civil Service. We could use Bureaucracy in capital and so we can chain irrigate farms to make MC and Bombay more productive.

We need to spread every religion to every city for both culture, happiness, and research.

We need HBR for Elephants.

Attachments

• civfanatics.com AD-0680.CivBeyondSwordSave
    177.1 KB · Views: 77
Ok, i took a look at log. I am short with time right now, i will comment tommorrow when i take a look at a save.

Delhi isn't working any unimproved tiles, as far as i can see.

Yes, we need more workers. Only 4 workers on 7 cities, thats really not enough. I see that you've put some marks for future farms, i agree with locations.

I will continue researching Civil Service for Bureaocracy.

Yes, we need to spread religion. Maybe, just maybe, we could convert Alex, what do you think?

I'll queue HBR after Civil Service is done.

Gonna play after i see what you think 'bout converting Alex.

In my past experiences it is difficult to convert the AI. We would have to spread our religion to more cities than already has his chosen religion then pay him techs/gold to convert. Or shift all our EP's to him and have a spy lurk in a city for several turns to do the swap. It may be difficult but is always worth a try.

No log this time, just the save.

Attachments

• civfanatics.com AD-0880.CivBeyondSwordSave
    190.9 KB · Views: 80
A Cultural Dragon, Part 4

Spoiler :

Turn 154
Whip Monument in Agra and MM'd a few cities tiles.

Turn 155
Received a GA in Delhi. Settled there.

Turn 156
An event to help our relation with AC but no gold.

Someone else got the random barb event so 4 axes are roaming around. I am building several chariots to dispatch them.

Turn 157
Civil Service researched. Immediately revolted to Bureaucracy. Queue Paper but set research to 0%. Hire 2 scientists in Delhi.

Turn 158 Z

Turn 159
Barbarian Axes have been killed.

Turn 160
A bad event but we have gold this time to counteract effects.

Turn 161-162 Z

Turn 163
GS in Delhi. Going to make a trade next turn so I am going to wait for bulb.

Turn 164
Made this trade.

GS Bulbs Philosophy. Taoism founded.

Revolt to Caste & Pacifism.

Hire two more scientists in Delhi in hopes that we get a GS and bulb Paper.

Researching Currency in 3 turns. Should help our economy once we get markets in both Delhi & Pataliputra.

I think Rice/Gems city should lay down cottages under all that grassland jungle.

Attachments

• civfanatics.com AD-1040.CivBeyondSwordSave
    204.8 KB · Views: 75
Dammit, no one wants to play? Where the hell did E.mc and Shearer dissapeared?

@WD - Do you maybe know someone who could fill in? Outside this forum maybe? I will try and ask people on another forum. Nice set BTW.

All the other people I am playing SG's with are generally in the emperor range of play so I don't think this would interest them, especially since it seems we have this won with no problems. Heck, one of the best SG's I've played only had three people the entire game. We just played 20 or so turns a set every day or two and just kept the ball rolling. But I will make some inquiries.

I'd be interested in joining. It'll be my first SG since Civ III, if that's OK.

I am able to play most evenings (EST).

Sorry WD, my ATi Radeon was getting infinite loop error so i wasnt able to play. I wiped Windows and no errors so far. So, i can play my set. Sorry a bunch :-(

Anyway, what do you think of letting a new guy in? I agree.

Revolt to Caste & Pacifism.

Researching Currency in 3 turns. Should help our economy once we get markets in both Delhi & Pataliputra.

I think Rice/Gems city should lay down cottages under all that grassland jungle.

Is Pacifism the right way to go? It gives some pretty high upkeep costs, especially if units need to be built to help the power rating vs. Greece.

I would think +25% :hammers: for buildings is more useful than +100 :gp:, especially for building the needed cultural buildings. It would make more sense to me if there was a focus on GA's but you are going for a GS. However, I'm not sure I use GPP's as effectively as possible in my games.

PS Unfortunately, I tend to ask questions that sound like criticisms. I feel like I still have a lot to learn still and if I state I would do it differently, I am merely asking you to explain why you chose a certain way. I generally assume that someone else has a better reason (though I hope my way IS better once in a while :p).

Here are my thoughts why I chose running caste & pacifism.

1.) Since we are Philosophical, built the Parthenon/Pantheon and built numerous wonders, Delhi is about the best GP farm we have right now. As such, since we headed along the top of the tech tree, we need to catch up with some of the middle and lower techs. Not many trades are available there so, I figured we could tech the bottom while double bulbing Education.

2.) We only have a handful of cities with Hinduism, one happens to be Delhi, so Theo or OR wouldn't really benefit us all that much. Once Bombay finishes a couple of more workers it should build a Hindu Monastery then focus on spreading it to every city on the continent. We should also build every monastery in our cottage cities.

3.) It's six turns to a GP then about another 8 after that for the second. Once we get those we can switch to anything we want. We aren't going to build that many units in 14 turns.

4.) We should research Paper first, instead of bulbing it, then go to MC/Machinery. We have just about enough gold to get those three before we run out of gold. We should then turn to 0% science until we have Universities up in six cities, have the stone connected up north, and starting Oxford in Delhi.

5.) After that we should go back to full science, researching Liberalism until 1 turn is left. Then work on Eng/GP/Chem/PP/SM for a Biology slingshot. If we can't take it that far then we can take whatever is available.

That makes sense to me, thanks for the explanation.

Does this mean I'm in?

Abu, did you get your video card problem worked out?

Yea, my VC problem is worked out. You're in, and are you gonna play after WD or before him, i let him choose :)

I will play next 10 turns.

On turn 170, Alex declared war on AC! That means we will be out of trouble for some time, but i am assured that after a few turns someone of them will ask us to help 'em. The question is; should switch every city to build military so we get a part of the teritory, or should i continue this way?

I don't know. The AC border cities don't really look too appealing terrain wise. Alex's city that is west of Agra could be promising, depending on exactly where it is, but it would likely be under heavy American cultural pressure. Thebes would be alright for cottage spam, but it has no production potential. I'm not sure we have the resources to take on Alex though, unless he starts taking some losses.

Actually looking at the save America doesn't seem to have much culture. Hmm. Roose must of bought in AC.

With 7 cities plus room for a filler or two, we should have enough cities to build 6 theatres, banks, etc. that we need for wonders, right? or is it more than 6 on epic?

Since we are going cultural, have 7 cities, enough room for two more, and currently have 4 religions, we don't need any more land. We should focus our two production cities on defensive units for border cities. What we need to do is spread all 4 religions to every city, build temples, then get the Cathedrals up in our 3 legendary cities. I also suspect that Bombay will be the one to get the Hermitage as well.

Top Bottom