Sweden announced as a new Civ!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PibbZ

Paladin
And i quote:

All hail the transcendent King Gustavus Adolphus, founder of the Swedish Empire and her most distinguished military tactician!

Sweden is one of the new playable civs in the Civilization V: Gods & Kings expansion pack, available June 19th.

Sweden has the unique attribute "Nobel Prize", which involves Great People, City-States, and relations with other civs.

Their unique units are the Hakkapeliitta, a mounted unit that interacts with Great Generals in a unique way, and the Carolean, a front-line unit specializing in long marches.

Source: http://www.facebook.com/civ
http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?119443-The-Official-Ninth-Civ-Reveal-Thread

Cool imo! :king:

The rest: Sweden has the unique attribute "Nobel Prize", which involves Great People, City-States, and relations with other civs.

Their unique units are the Hakkapeliitta, a mounted unit that interacts with Great Generals in a unique way, and the Carolean, a front-line unit specializing in long marches.

Ah great, thanks, I'll add it to the main post :D

Do you think that the Hakkapeliitta will be a replacement for Knight or Lancer?

I hope that they will fix the lancer somehow (put it on the mounted upgrade path as well) and make it a replacement for the lancer. The knight would be too early imo.

I would rather say lancer or cavalry, and I think Lancer. I also think that carleans start with March and is either a rifleman or musketeer.

The nobel prize sounds interesting, i think it will have something to do with gaining better relationship through generating great people.

Do you think that the Hakkapeliitta will be a replacement for Knight or Lancer?

Im pretty sure they will replace the Lancer. Hakkapeliitta cavalry had pistols that they used from afar and then they would charge and use their swords.

No... why sweden?:mad: Why not the zulus or some other african cif. Also, the hakkapeliitta were finnish (finland was part of sweden though)

No... why sweden?:mad: Why not the zulus or some other african cif. Also, the hakkapeliitta were finnish (finland was part of sweden though)

While the Zulu are interesting I do believe that a civilization that still has power today is more interesting than a civilization that 'died' after the British came.
In any case, seeing it's popularity, it will most likely be included as a cheap DLC civilization.

Indeed.
Scandinavia is the best represented bit of the world in civ, now :lol:
Denmark, Sweden, Norway and Finland are all in.

Iceland with a Greenland UU, anyone? :D

(Yes, yes, I know, not technically Scandinavian :p)

I'm swedish so obviously happy for this! Also I'm glad we finally get the dignity of not being represented by a "viking" civilization. I do think they could have put ALL the scandinavians together though under the union of kalmar, to my knowledge the only point in time scandinavia was actually united. Then there would be one more slot to fill with zulu or what have you.

Also gustav adolf just rocks my boat.

No... why sweden?:mad: Why not the zulus or some other african cif.

Me and many other would agree with me that the major way we now the zulu's because they beat the British. Meaning they are one of the most eurocentric civs in the game. But I wish they'd just had Sweden because they were vikings and had a great inlightenment era empire.

"I found Him in the shining of the stars,
I marked Him in the flowering of His fields,
But in His ways with men I find Him not.
I waged His wars, and now I pass and die.
O me! for why is all around us here
As if some lesser god had made the world,
But had not force to shape it as he would,
Till the High God behold it from beyond,
And enter it, and make it beautiful?
Or else as if the world were wholly fair,
But that these eyes of men are dense and dim,
And have not power to see it as it is:
Perchance, because we see not to the close;—
For I, being simple, thought to work His will,
And have but stricken with the sword in vain;
And all whereon I leaned in wife and friend
Is traitor to my peace, and all my realm
Reels back into the beast, and is no more.
My God, thou hast forgotten me in my death;
Nay — God my Christ — I pass but shall not die"

Alfred Lord Tennyson's "Idylls of the King."

I have to say... I am a little underwhelmed by this news. I am sure that it is great for the Swedish (congrats for making the cut) but I don't see why they held out so long to announce them. The way they were holding out on the last Civ, I was expecting some huge surprise. If they wanted to hold out on a Civ, maybe they should made the Huns the hold out Civ.

I have to say... I am a little underwhelmed by this news. I am sure that it is great for the Swedish (congrats for making the cut) but I don't see why they held out so long to announce them. The way they were holding out on the last Civ, I was expecting some huge surprise. If they wanted to hold out on a Civ, maybe they should made the Huns the hold out Civ.
They'd probably have done that, were it not for the fact that Attila is on the billboard/cover/etc.

Very nice choice. Sweden is a cool country and has stuff going on for for more then 1000 years. They deserve to be in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom