Taking unit requests

WarMonkeY

Emperor
Good day

I am an aspiring unit creator, who needs something to train on..
So if anyone has a suitable unit for me to create, I will be happy to give it a try :)

(not too difficult please :p)

I've got one, pretty simple I think...but all I have for images is this gif file...

Basically he'd run up to the enemy, spin the stick over his head and whap them with it, then sort of scissor it back and forth, hitting them with either end.

@Hunter Noventa:

oh my :) what an interesting little devil..

I think i'll give it a try, but I cannot promise anything.. (i've never modelled a humanoid before)
And more information would be MUCH appriciated.. A little gif is not much for a n00b like me to work from..

How about remodelling existing stuff to start with... like... take any old fully-armoured knight unit, remove its helmet and make sure it's armed with a lance.

@Mr. Do:

Good idea.. But are you talking about a finished unit or a finished 3dmodel?

Err... either. If you want to give your skills a bigger test, working with textures etc. then the 3D model. Just don't ask me to provide one or anything ;)

I got another one , I need a modern age battleship!!!

It Should be something look like the the Advanved Battleship seen in RoN (Rise of Nations).

THis will allow me to create an upgrade unit for the common Battleship. Although there are some unit graphics for modern destroyers and cruiser upgrades, I haven't seen any for the Battleship.

I hope this helps.

@Fanatic Demon:

now that is a request i like! Should it be "cruiser like", like the RoN battleship or just a modern version of a really big battleship?

edit:

I just made a/the hull
would this be suitable?

Attachments

• 0001.jpg
    0001.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 147
Maybe a quad/buggy, should be simple enough for a starting unit.

My battleship is assumig some shape now, I apologize for the slow progress, but i saw it best fit to prioritize my girlfriend.. and tomorrow I'll have to work and take to the drastic measures of being social, but I have no really big plans for the weekend, so a battleship might be seen towards the end of it.

However, there are things I am struggeling with:

1) Making water:
May I humbly ask for a brief toturial on making the wakes behind naval vessels?

2) The camera positions for rendering: How should the camera(es) be placed in Blender to take the renders for use in civ3?
I mean, I am aware of that it should be around 45 degrees or 30 or something, but is there an easy way of configuring the blender camera?

3) How many bananaes is it possible to flipside in the timeframe of the time it takes to peel a pineapple?

Hunter Noventa said:
I've got one, pretty simple I think...but all I have for images is this gif file...

Basically he'd run up to the enemy, spin the stick over his head and whap them with it, then sort of scissor it back and forth, hitting them with either end.

Heh. The main character of the RPG "Suikoden." He wears Chinese-style martial arts attire and has a green bandana on his head. :) He's as outspoken as Crono in "Chrono Trigger" in he says absolutely nothing.

I didnt realize you were using Blender. I should of been able to tell because of the blue background.

Just a little note about Blender:
No Unit has been finished and posted at these forums. (Im almost done with two)

You can use the cameras i used. Your going to have to append your object and the camera blend file together. (Theres some tutorials on there website). To swich cameras select the camera and hit ctr-0 (on the number pad) (numlock has to be on also)

As for the wake. You need to become very familiar with the particle effects. As of right now all i can make with the particle effects is smoke and a exploasion in space.

Right now you just have to poke around there website for tutorials and stuff. Also be suer to hit the OSA button your images will come out smoother. ;)

Fanatic Demon, the picture of the ship in RON you posted a link to is not a battleship, WWII or modern. It's a Russin Navy Slava class cruiser. You just have to do a little searching if you're looking for WWII and modern battleships, check out the 'units' forum here. I have six battleships, the King George V, a WWII Iowa, a modern Iowa, the Yamato, a fictional modern Yamato, and a South Dakota class which I scratchbuilt. Wyrmshadow also has made some great battleships over at the CDG site.

Warmonkey, first things first, worry about making the model. Then tackle cameras, special effects and animation. As for myself, if I can't find a model already made, I make it myself. I prefer to get technical and buy either copies of the specific ship's blueprints or buy a plastic model kit of the ship and build it using the model as reference.

I am considering making another ship, the HMS Fearless (it's an lpd), as I've noticed the lack of naval transports around here..

Some facts about HMS Ferless/HMS Intrepid:
-Carry capacity:2100tonns
-length 160m, width: 25m, debth 6m

@vbraun:

I am experimenting with different 3dtools, atm I have openfx and blender installed..
Which of them serves the average unitmaker best?

@vingerjoe:

I am, as you stated is important, doing research at this current stage (both on the subject of choosing 3dtool and on the subject of modern warships), and the biggest problem of modelling a modern battleship is that the biggest ships in use (besides carriers) are just large cruisers.. so one's got to be at least a bit fictional..

OpenFX has a tutorial for civ and its easy to learn. Blender has no tutorial for civ and is difficult to learn.

Top Bottom