Terraforming, Forest Planting mod

avain

(key)
Terraforming, Forest Planting mod
for [civ4] :bts: 3.17
current version: v1.1
date: 2009.05.09

Boyz and girlz!
Let me prezent you with the Terraforming and Forest Planting mod. Now you can shape the planet to your liking!
There's been numerous mods for terraforming and forest replanting, and I admit I borrowed ideas and code snipets from them.
This little modcomp will be integrated into my upcoming Quot Capita modpack, but I though you might like to try it as is (and I'll get some free testing for it:devil:)

Features:
Forest Planting
Worker action
Cost: 10 :commerce:
Tech needed :science:: Paper

Creates a Tree Nursery improvement, needs to be worked from a city to turn into a Forest

Elevate/Level Terrain
Worker action
Cost: 100 :commerce:
Tech needed :science:: Plastics

A worker can create a hill on a flat terrain, or level a hill to flat land

Terraform
Worker action (consumes the worker)
Cost: 1000 :commerce:
Tech needed :science:: Ecology

Creates a Terraforming imporvement (Biodome model by hrochland), needs to be worked to complete the terraforming process

Can turn:
Snow->Tundra->Plains->Grassland
Desert->Plains->Grassland
Grassland->Plains

Enjoy!

Terraforming mods out there!

Changelog
v1.1

- added different yield values to the "final"(only used for the implementation) improvements to help the AI
- also changed these "final" improvements to bGraphicalOnly. This only removes them from Civilopedia (I checked the SDK)

v1.0
- initial version

You should totally put this in Varietas Delectat if it works! :)

Crucial question. Did you teach the AI how to use these?

Thanks all.

As for the AI: No. And if you check the way these work, the AI is better off not using these at all - this is all for the perfectionist players who'd do sub-optimal tasks just because they can.
And I didn't want to change the dll as of yet for this.
But I will need your input on how the vanilla AI handles these functions - and based on this I could improve it. (might even teach the AI if it makes sense)

In your thumb nails there is a forest plot with both types of forests. Is that a part of this mod comp or a different one????

A different one, they are from my mod, the ones for this one are the last five (minus the VERY last one, thats a medic tent).

A different one, they are from my mod, the ones for this one are the last five (minus the VERY last one, thats a medic tent).

Ah, Next War right. Been a while since I played that. I'll have to give NW advanced a try on my next game. Screenshot look awesome btw.

@Avian: I like what I see so far. So much more realistic than past terraforming mechanics and very well implemented. Keep up the good work.

Great work :goodjob:.

Thanks all.

As for the AI: No. And if you check the way these work, the AI is better off not using these at all

To teach it, there's a simple way: Give the dummy improvements the value of the terrain/feature they are terraformed to.
Give the improvement "hill" -1 :food: and +1 :hammers:, the improvement forest +1 :hammers:, etc, it will not affect the plot's yields, because you destroy it directly, but it shows the effect.

This is/was not my idea, it is from tsentom, he suggested it for my pioneer tank, and it works.

Are there things missing??

EDIT: Also when i founded Bronze Working, no new action buttons??

Nope, nothing is missing, those are placeholders.
Also, in the initial post you can see the different tech requirements for the actions. Bronze Working is not one of them.

Great work :goodjob:.

To teach it, there's a simple way: Give the dummy improvements the value of the terrain/feature they are terraformed to.
Give the improvement "hill" -1 :food: and +1 :hammers:, the improvement forest +1 :hammers:, etc, it will not affect the plot's yields, because you destroy it directly, but it shows the effect.

This is/was not my idea, it is from tsentom, he suggested it for my pioneer tank, and it works.

This is actually a very good idea! (so the AI bases it's decision on yields among other things when building improvements? Does it take into account the costs: worker turns needed, gold needed, working the field from the city(as in the cottage mechanism)?)

Thanks!!

updated to v1.1

Added yield changes to Forest(+1 hammer) and Terraform completed(+1 food) improvements to help the AI. I left the Hill out since it can be used both to make and to remove hills - so this could be done only if I separated these two functions.
Also made these improvements not show up in the list of improvement is Civilopedia, only the Tree Nursery and the Terraforming should appear there.

This is actually a very good idea! (so the AI bases it's decision on yields among other things when building improvements? Does it take into account the costs: worker turns needed, gold needed, working the field from the city(as in the cottage mechanism)?)

Thanks!!

I don't know really, if the AI decides in that way, but i see no arguments against it ;).

updated to v1.1

Added yield changes to Forest(+1 hammer) and Terraform completed(+1 food) improvements to help the AI. I left the Hill out since it can be used both to make and to remove hills - so this could be done only if I separated these two functions.
Also made these improvements not show up in the list of improvement is Civilopedia, only the Tree Nursery and the Terraforming should appear there.

Nice.
I'll have to look, how you hide the improvements :cool:.

OK, just added 1.1 but now it SPAWNs a tree nursery to a forest EACH and EVERY time you take a turn.:confused: This happens from the very start of a game:confused:
Then it spawns in the same place ALOT over a bonus and you lose the bonus (farm) and the worker has to re-do his work again, and again, and again.:crazyeye:

OK, just added 1.1 but now it SPAWNs a tree nursery to a forest EACH and EVERY time you take a turn.:confused: This happens from the very start of a game:confused:
Then it spawns in the same place ALOT over a bonus and you lose the bonus (farm) and the worker has to re-do his work again, and again, and again.:crazyeye:

Please provide a savegame.
Can anyone else confirm? I've yet to see this kind of behavior...

Please provide a savegame.
Can anyone else confirm? I've yet to see this kind of behavior...

save game wont work or ya, i dont have this mod on the market yet. But as you can see, thats why i attached the pics.:mischief:

EDIT: Now that this button appeared, it only spawns every OTHER turn now.:crazyeye:

What did you change, that could be doing this? Wish i would have kept a copy of 1.0 now??

Pozdrav!
Hej just one stupid question?
Can you please mark the changes in python folder,I would wreally like to have this but in my python folder is already a houndreds of stuff from thsentom and the_ j,so please if you can yust mark changes that I can copy them in my python..:)
Thx!

Top Bottom