[Thanks Firaxis!] Siam is not so weird anymore!!!

No one is ever satisfied. Hey, you know what people? They didn't even HAVE to make them speak their own languages! QUIT COMPLAINING AND ENJOY THE DARN GAME! They could all be speaking complete nonsense and it wouldn't affect gameplay one bit..

What exactly do you consider wrong / exaggeratedly critizising on this statement?

However...(Do not take these seriously...this is just a little complain..but it will help you understand Thai culture a lot)

It is not about "all what Firaxis makes is intrinsic bad", but just a statement to get to know other cultures...

But the point is that the real Gandhi spoke a lot better than Civ V Gandhi, even when speaking in Hindi.

The voice they have given him is just wrong.

Unfortunately, I don't know how the original voice of Gandhi sounds. However, I know (somehow) what his message means. And this is truly impressive! There are just two persons who influenced/impressed me deeply: Immanuel Kant and Mahatma Gandhi.

Considering their points of view it is absolutely irrelevat how their sounds of voice may be. However, I would highly appreciate it to have them naturalistic as possible ;)

No one is ever satisfied. Hey, you know what people? They didn't even HAVE to make them speak their own languages! QUIT COMPLAINING AND ENJOY THE DARN GAME! They could all be speaking complete nonsense and it wouldn't affect gameplay one bit..

If you are going to a job, do it right. Why do something half arsed?

They trumpeted this feature as being one of the cool new things in ciV so I and others have high expectations.

Blindly accepting a half arsed job doesn't do Firaxis or really any game company any favours believe it or not.

I suppose you must have loved Civ Rev. In that game, the AI did speak complete nonsense and gibberish. At least in the DS version anyway.

Well the main point is.. How hard and expensive would it be to simply ask 1 thai random dude at the local thai restaurant (they are everywhere, man i love asian food, i'll get some today, anyway i digress..) to speak a handful of lines??

I mean its not like its ancient egyptian, its not like Thai people are rare.
In my opinion, if they could get an English speaking person to speak English for America / England, they should get a native speaker for the other languages as well.

I just know that if i was working on a game, i'd never ask some random western noob guy to do the voice acting for a 100% asian (or other) character. Just like you wouldnt ask an indian guy to record George Bush's voice, they shouldnt have some guy who barely learnt to speak thai to record a siamese leader.

And i dont have to calm down, im sitting here tired as heck writing this, we're just discussing stuff.

Ichibang, how do you feel now, knowing that in the release versions statues behind the Thaksin-lookalike are back in? Are you hoping that they're "working on it", or do you think that they've just ignored you completely, going "to hell with this, if they don't like it, they can mod it out, nobody cares anyway"? I'd say the latter...

Somebody with chinese skills here? I always think it should be "wo shi wu huangdi" or "wo shi wu nühuangdi". "wo shi nühuangdi wu zetian" sounds totally wrong to me.

Ichibang, how do you feel now, knowing that in the release versions statues behind the Thaksin-lookalike are back in? Are you hoping that they're "working on it", or do you think that they've just ignored you completely, going "to hell with this, if they don't like it, they can mod it out, nobody cares anyway"? I'd say the latter...

I realized it few days ago, but too shocked to resurrect this thread.

Damn it !!! Firaxis, why the heck you remove that thing in the preview screen anyway

For God's sake!

Civ 5 was DELAYED in Thailan, because the CULTURAL ministry wants to inspect it first

Jeez!!! the only games that were inspected in Thailand are always the MATURE 18+ GAMES like GTA God of Wars etc.

And because of the banned, people go to cheap choices YES THE PIRATE!!!!

There are links all over Thai website how to get this to play civ 5

Civ 5 also becomes extremely popular topic in Thai website(not only gaming ones)

first it is because, every one loves to play Siam civilization.

Then after a single release shot of the preview, the king's face triggers hatred among

Thai people.

NOW, Firaxis, YOUR GAME WAS ON THE MAIN TOPIC OF NEWSPAPER OF YELLOW SHIRT!!! ( About Thaksin's face VS King's face)

They are even facebook group talking about this topic!

And I couldn't understand why I am still talking about this nonsense
since you are not going to do anything anyway.

Well, what have I spoken, I will just stop here and go back to play Civ 5.

EDIT

I was tricked that the khmer statue was removed, but it is not!!!!

this is just a little complain..but it will help you understand Thai culture a lot)

1. King Ram's voice!!!
He has very clear american accent.
He speaks WRONG wrong words

This is the translation by me as Thai citizen

"I , Pho Khun Ramkamhaeng, the king of Siam. It is a great honour that you WALK to visit our country"

What! walk! are you serious? it is supposed to be TRAVEL ("dern tarng" not "dern")

2. Animation
- First you should know that in Thailand we greet each other by "Wai"
Wai is a show of respect, indicated by pressing your palms together near your chest
and bowing.
The first Wai in the animation is good!
The second HALF Wai is...quite impolite. This is CHINESE monk Wai.
if I do this Wai in Thailand, I will be reprimanded.
I normally do this Wai for fun greeting with my friend.

3. Language
King Ram in the website speaks our present king language
But king Ram's language is the OLDEST language of Siam.
I do not take this serious though.
" In his time, He spoke old languages that are now considered RUDE "

I realized it few days ago, but too shocked to resurrect this thread.

Damn it !!! Firaxis, why the heck you remove that thing in the preview screen anyway

For God's sake!

Civ 5 was DELAYED in Thailan, because the CULTURAL ministry wants to inspect it first

Jeez!!! the only games that were inspected in Thailand are always the MATURE 18+ GAMES like GTA God of Wars etc.

And because of the banned, people go to cheap choices YES THE PIRATE!!!!

There are links all over Thai website how to get this to play civ 5

Civ 5 also becomes extremely popular topic in Thai website(not only gaming ones)

first it is because, every one loves to play Siam civilization.

Then after a single release shot of the preview, the king's face triggers hatred among

Thai people.

NOW, Firaxis, YOUR GAME WAS ON THE MAIN TOPIC OF NEWSPAPER OF YELLOW SHIRT!!! ( About Thaksin's face VS King's face)

They are even facebook group talking about this topic!

And I couldn't understand why I am still talking about this nonsense
since you are not going to do anything anyway.

Well, what have I spoken, I will just stop here and go back to play Civ 5.

I'm sorry ichibang, but corporate arsewipes from marketing department are probably shaking each others hands now, happy from free publicity the game has in your country - a lot of people who wouldn't normally care about the game can now get interested in it from the national TV. It is sad, but I doubt that will influence them to change anything, at least not for a while now.
When the headlines will die out, they might finally do sth about it, only to hit the news again and score more free advertisement :(

I was suprised to see how friendly and informal Catherine the Great is, even at your first meeting. Bless her heart when she greets us with "Привет" (Hi) and uses the informal pronoun Ты (You) for example when she says, "Что Тебе нужно?" (What do you need?).

Yekaterina, what I need is an option to sit down for a nice hot cup of chai with you, my dear.

Top Bottom