The 2 gig wall from 32 bit games & Civ 6

So it is apparently gonna be 32 bits ...For a computing intensive game , I'm in denial.

64-bit was never on the table for Civ 5. I'd be surprised if it was for Civ 6 as well, but you never know. It's a huge engineering effort for not nearly as huge of a benefit.

- Jon

where did you get that idea?

2K hasn't said anything about requirements, and anyone talking in this thread is purely speculating.

I don't know much about the name of the VIP of the 2K staff. Just this Jon Shafer with the title 'civ5 designer' lead me to think he had some real inside information... Was I mislead ? In which case I'm happy to have been :)

I don't know much about the name of the VIP of the 2K staff. Just this Jon Shafer with the title 'civ5 designer' lead me to think he had some real inside information... Was I mislead ? In which case I'm happy to have been :)
No, Jon has said he's just a Civ fan with no inside knowledge of Civ VI at this point. His knowledge of Civ IV/V development (and 4x strategy video games in general) is of course a value source for speculating on Civ VI, but it's still just speculation.

Misled - well, not really, since he never claimed knowledge. Misunderstood is more likely.

No, Jon has said he's just a Civ fan with no inside knowledge of Civ VI at this point. His knowledge of Civ IV/V development (and 4x strategy video games in general) is of course a value source for speculating on Civ VI, but it's still just speculation.

Misled - well, not really, since he never claimed knowledge. Misunderstood is more likely.

Right not misled,point taken, they was no intentionality at work here :scan: and sorry Jon , I did not mean to imply you were some kind of con artist ! :mischief:

Jon knows, and for that matter anyone with a software background would know, that making a C++ program 64 bit from 32 bit is not simple at all. In addition to the major issue that your pointers will need to all be checked to make sure you weren't assuming 32bit long pointers anywhere you will also have the issue that a 64 bit version must exist for every single 3rd party library you are using.

Jon knows, and for that matter anyone with a software background would know, that making a C++ program 64 bit from 32 bit is not simple at all. In addition to the major issue that your pointers will need to all be checked to make sure you weren't assuming 32bit long pointers anywhere you will also have the issue that a 64 bit version must exist for every single 3rd party library you are using.

so what?

basic programming 101.

that doesn't mean anything wrt whether or not civvi will be/have as an option, 64bit.

Indeed. With Civ6 having a new engine, I fail to see how Civ5 would be anything to read anything out from. Fact is, right now we're just speculating.

Is612, I fear you are correct. Greed before common sense.

I do feel that building a new game with a new engine and not making it 64 bit is a step backwards. It will hit that wall once we add DLC, an expansion or two and our communities wonderful mods. You simply limit your options as a game publisher or developer by going to an architecture that was obsolete years ago.

All of what I said costs money and if they don't need to spend that money they won't.

as others have said, new engine, so they're already spending the money.

wasting time being 32bit would be worse, revenue wise and computational wise. So it's pretty easy to see that, if they weren't stuck in old ways, they'd be on the 64bit normalization trend.

as others have said, new engine, so they're already spending the money.

wasting time being 32bit would be worse, revenue wise and computational wise. So it's pretty easy to see that, if they weren't stuck in old ways, they'd be on the 64bit normalization trend.

I agree with this 100%. Once you start designing a new product in 2016 , you need it to be as solid as possible. In 2016 it means a lot of things , but above all : 64 bits. That's product management 101. That's not being innovative , that's pure catching up. Don't get me started on a AI strategy model output by some deep learning , that would be innovative even so I can only relize that people are not ready to accept this idea. (Designing product based on Machine learning has been my expertise for more than 15 years)

Yea, I have been cross posting on almost every forum that Firaxis/2K pops up asking if the Engine is 64 bit. No Answer the silence speaks volumes.

Actually, silence speaks of ... nothing. As they say, absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

You are certainly free to speculate however you want to speculate, and to leap to any unfounded conclusion you want to embrace, but right now we collectively know exactly bupkis about 32 bit vs. 64 bit.

And Firaxis choosing not to answer that question right now is no more informative than Firaxis choosing not to answer the 900 million other questions that the community is asking, from which civs and leaders are in the game and how will social policies (or their equivalent) work, to what victory conditions are in or out, how many techs are in the game and how do the tech boosts work. Until Firaxis chooses to share more details, everyone is left with inference and speculation based on the few clues that Firaxis has made available.

All of which is fun, but about as productive as trying to grab air with your hands -- lots of leaping about, with vigorous hand waving and grasping motions, but not much to show for it.

Yea, I have been cross posting on almost every forum that Firaxis/2K pops up asking if the Engine is 64 bit. No Answer the silence speaks volumes.

Nah, the silence just means to me they stick to their marketing plan, as they did with Civ5, BE(RT) & XCOM 2.
And don't just start releasing extra info because a few people are worried about specifications of the new engine.

In other words, it doesn't mean anything, we'll just have to be patient a while longer.

Top Bottom