The 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia Thread

Bets! Bets! Bets! @Sofista get the XCel sheets ready.

Uruguay - France
Uruguay: 1 - France: 5
Brazil - Belgium
Brazil: 3 - Belgium: 3
Croatia - Russia
Croatia: 5 - Russia: 1
England - Sweden
England: 6 - Sweden: -

Uruguay - France
Brazil - Belgium
Croatia
- Russia
England - Sweden
Are those your bets?
I'm taking that post as if they were.

Uruguay - France
Brazil - Belgium
Croatia
- Russia
England - Sweden

New tally!
Uruguay - France
Uruguay: 2 - France: 5
Brazil - Belgium
Brazil: 3 - Belgium: 4
Croatia - Russia
Croatia: 6 - Russia: 1
England - Sweden
England: 7 - Sweden: -​

It's almost unanymous, so far, that Ingerland can take Sweden. Before today I'd've said that Sweden would hold them to a draw and win a penalty shootout, but now I ain't sure. The Swedes really couldn't finish it against the Swiss.

yup, those were my bets. As for the 3rd place match, no points as it is a non-event

Excellent, I'll leave them as is then.

What do people say about the multiplied points as we progress on each stage?

Last updated tally before bedtime watching anime:
Uruguay - France
Uruguay: 2 - France: 6
Brazil - Belgium
Brazil: 3 - Belgium: 5
Croatia - Russia
Croatia: 7 - Russia: 1
England - Sweden
England: 8 - Sweden: -​

Uruguay - France
Brazil - Belgium
Croatia
- Russia
England - Sweden

A very tough set of picks, as you’d expect for the quarter finals. France seem really strong, I think (and would love if) Belgium can do it.

Russia have surely run out of momentum at this point.

And while I am again tempting fate, I’m not voting against my own team at this stage, especially since they seem pretty resilient.

Uruguay - France
Brazil - Belgium
Croatia - Russia
England - Sweden

Uruguay - France
Brazil
- Belgium
Croatia - Russia
England - Sweden

'Kay, I got your bets. And here comes mine:

Uruguay - France (alas, can't see it without Cavani)
Brazil - Belgium (similarly, Thiago Silva out is a decider; plus Neymar only plays like Neymar in fits)
Croatia - Russia (with an overt hope that we'll be going to see Croatia of the group stage again)
England - Sweden (yes, Sweden apparently has no strikers, but what can I say? Their airight defense+counterstrike is a footballing petite madeleine to me)

About multiplying points these last games: neutral, advising against: it just ruins the, I dunno, purity of picking the winner of a single game. At the core, we've been looking at team vs team, comparing roster, performance, current circumstances, paying no mind to how close it was to the end - and indeed, say, what would intrinsically differentiate a, say, Germany-Netherlands quarter and a Germany-Netherlands final?

About the third place final, I'd like to keep that game result, if anything as a possible One And True Winner decider. Again, it's team vs team, and if one team wants the game and the other does not care, it's just another psychlogical layer for us to determine.
I heard on the radio an interview with a national team water polo player some time ago. He said that winning the 3rd place final is in many ways, all considered, better than losing the final, because climbing onto the podium (he was talking Olympics) with a Bronze but after a win makes the thing so much more enjoyable that being the regretful Silver. My two cents.

Cavani's out, but I'm sticking by my bets.
Uruguay - France
Uruguay: 3 - France: 10
Brazil - Belgium
Brazil: 5 - Belgium: 8
Croatia - Russia
Croatia: 11 - Russia: 2
England - Sweden
England: 10 - Sweden: 3​
Sorry, but Sweden lacks this guy this year:

Which is why they are actually playing as a team.

If anybody followed Argentina's qualifying campaign, they were more cohesive in the matches when Messi wasn't on the pitch, because the players actually had to, well, play.

I returned back home yesterday, it was a total disappointment but still a worthwhile experience to travel to Russia. I had tickets for the group stage matches plus conditional tickets (depending on Germany's qualification) for 8th final, quarterfinal and the ultimate final (FIFA should send back a whole lot of money soon). The flight from Kazan to St. Petersburg was booked already, hotel in St. Petersburg reserved, only shortened by one day since there were really cheap flights back home available on July 3rd.Also had a flight home from Samara for the day after the quarterfinal that I cancelled.
So now I hope for a team to win that has never wone the world cup before, but France was playing really inpressingly! But please, not Brazil and this "Schauspieler"! They have gotten equal already in the 2016 Olympics!

Sorry, but Sweden lacks this guy this year:

My choice is not the solution of a nonlinear equation!
Hint:

The whole plan hinged upon the natural curiosity of potatoes.
The Star Diaries (1976)

So once again it's update time!

Uruguay - France
Uruguay: 3 - France: 11
Brazil - Belgium
Brazil: 5 - Belgium: 9
Croatia - Russia
Croatia: 12 - Russia: 2
England - Sweden
England: 11 - Sweden: 3​

With Brazil I'm really hedging it: if they lose then the insufferable Neymar is out (I think it's time to start posting Cantona's videos); if they win we might get an all-South American semifinal in… how long again?

Last edited:
Top Bottom