The 7 words you can't say on civfanatics?

Narz

keeping it real
Who comes up with this stuff? I find the banned words list a little strange. Like you can't say the abrev of ****oo bird.

Is there a vote of new trendy words each year? How does the CFC Deep State work anyway?

That was added to the ban list during my tenure years ago due to a rather spirited spurt of posters who enjoyed calling others that word. The censor can't differentiate between words (AFAIK), only the string of characters themselves, so innocent words are caught in the crossfire.

I've been hearing about this kind of thing on the management side for 11 years - and I was still annoyed, as well as amused, to find, a few months ago, that I couldn't use the word for the people of ancient Kush in the history forum...

Who comes up with this stuff? I find the banned words list a little strange. Like you can't say the abrev of ****oo bird.

Is there a vote of new trendy words each year? How does the CFC Deep State work anyway?
Just spell it with an "o" instead

Cockoo bird!

**** is a bad word but cock is totally fine.

Last edited:
So... infract the bad uses and let the legitimate ones go? :huh:

Hm. It turns out there's now a specific line of dialogue from Dune that can't be quoted. So I guess I can no longer discuss the relationship among Paul, Chani, and Irulan in Dune Messiah.

Oh, well, I'll take that discussion to the SF/F media forum over at TrekBBS, then.

I once referenced Aristophanes' Cloud****ooland and was amused to see it censored (as I assume it will be here).

Coo-coo

That spelling works.

That was added to the ban list during my tenure years ago due to a rather spirited spurt of posters who enjoyed calling others that word. The censor can't differentiate between words (AFAIK), only the string of characters themselves, so innocent words are caught in the crossfire.

What Syn said.
Although we do have the option to have an exact match or a sub-match, but there's a bunch of words starting with that example string too, which don't have a good use here either.

I've been hearing about this kind of thing on the management side for 11 years - and I was still annoyed, as well as amused, to find, a few months ago, that I couldn't use the word for the people of ancient Kush in the history forum...

Just spell it with an "o" instead

Cockoo bird!

**** is a bad word but cock is totally fine.

So... infract the bad uses and let the legitimate ones go? :huh:

Hm. It turns out there's now a specific line of dialogue from Dune that can't be quoted. So I guess I can no longer discuss the relationship among Paul, Chani, and Irulan in Dune Messiah.

Oh, well, I'll take that discussion to the SF/F media forum over at TrekBBS, then.

I once referenced Aristophanes' Cloud****ooland and was amused to see it censored (as I assume it will be here).
The MSN message boards (which is commentary on outside-media-site-contributed news, entertainment, gaming, science, religion, etc. articles) are completely auto-moderated (or, at least, mostly so), based on keywords and grammatical usages of them. Once a user learns the ropes of strategic mispelling, roundabout reference to attack users without direct and obvious second-person reference, and name-checking, it truly becomes a cesspool Wild West.

Several years ago I had a conversation with Bootstoots regarding a couple of words in the autocensor that made it impossible to discuss certain plants that grow near ponds and have specific discussions regarding armor and log cabins.

Reason prevailed and we can now have those discussions. I would assume that anyone using the racial slur and sexual term has been appropriately dealt with, or maybe the problem isn't a problem anymore as the posters who might have used them are either no longer here or they've grown up.

There is an 8th. Whomever Mr. West says is in the capital of the French Republic...

The censor can't differentiate between words (AFAIK), only the string of characters themselves, so innocent words are caught in the crossfire.
Not just words, I've had old image links break because amid the random jumble in the URL, a cluster of letters tripped the autocensor. :crazyeye:

That's new to me, interesting :lol:.

It happened to me many years ago when I was installing smileys in a forum I used to admin. The name of the smiley tripped the autocensor.

Fortunately it wasn't hard to change the smiley name, but it was annoying. That's when I did some digging and learned about partial matches and exact matches.

Top Bottom