The Ancient Mediterranean MOD (TAM)

This was one of the tougher scenarios for me to find a link for; IIRC I eventually found a copy on my hard drive from years ago.

But the link in post #1459 does contain the BIQs. In theory it should work as an installer, but you can also extract them with 7-Zip.

Edit: Thunderfall has fixed the link in the first post so it now points to the ModDB download that is working.

Last edited:
If you're still missing any of them I have a fully functional version of TAM in my Windows XP partition.

My apologies if this has already been asked, but I'm having a bit of an issue with the mod.

I downloaded version 2.6b and it runs fine, but when I'm in the game the text is all mixed around. For example, when I am choosing city production, instead of saying "5 turns" it says "5OK", and all of the barbarians on the map are labelled as "(tribe) Slaves". There's a lot more wackiness going on, but I can't remember everything off the top of my head. It's not totally game-breaking, but it's just a bit annoying is all.

Is there any way to fix this?

That is a common occurrence with this scenario.

Just start searching the thread, it's been so long since I myself had to fix it in my installation that I don't remember anymore.

My apologies if this has already been asked, but I'm having a bit of an issue with the mod.

I downloaded version 2.6b and it runs fine, but when I'm in the game the text is all mixed around. For example, when I am choosing city production, instead of saying "5 turns" it says "5OK", and all of the barbarians on the map are labelled as "(tribe) Slaves". There's a lot more wackiness going on, but I can't remember everything off the top of my head. It's not totally game-breaking, but it's just a bit annoying is all.

Is there any way to fix this?
This is most likely an incompatibility problem between TAM's labels.txt file and whichever version of the Civ3Conquests.exe you're currently running.

If you've installed TAM as instructed, you should be able to find the labels.txt in the folder ..[Civ III]/Conquests/Conquests/TAM/Text/

Open that file in any text editor, and scroll down until you find the lines "Ping" and "Host".

If there is no line "Unknown" between them, then you'll need to insert it (this line is needed for the newest, Steam-multiplayer compatible versions of Civ3 and — apparently — early CD-based versions, published while GameSpy was still hosting multiplayer).

If the "Unknown" line is already there, then you'll need to delete it (TAM is a very old mod, so may have included this line; but it's not needed if running a post-GameSpy-expiration-pre-Steam-MP [CD-based] version, or the GOG-download version).

Hahaha, one year after the last post! Another duud stumbles into this thread. :)

I had the urge to play Civ3 again after a decade I think. It is a nice old game, and to culturally take over towns is funny, to culturally lose a town is not funny, that is funny too. So, I own the Civ3 Complete DVDs, but downloaded it GOG to get no CD version, then downloaded TAM 2.6b. Problem is, many seem to like random map stuff, I dont. I like the cities adequately placed, I dont like important cities AI placed somewhere inappropriate, sorry. If you have the option to place Tyre peninsula like, do it. To place all towns really great, IS great!

And there is no point to ever and ever again play that Settler early game stuff, to bore the crap out of me in a slooooow start. In my Mod Patch, I provide the Settler, but the AI wont build. And North Africa cant be a green jungle, and the Carthage place cant be worse than the Leptis Magna place! etc etc etc. So, I quit playing TAM, and started modding TAM, 11.3.2022. Now, 30.3.2022, WOW. I implemented around 30 units more, and placed around 300 cities for these 31 factions and placed my new Natural Resources etcpp, a whole Mod Patch of about 55 MB.

Since I dont have a Single Core Win2000 Super-PC anymore, but a modern Quad Win10 and Civ3 on my second M2, loading times shouldnt be a problem anymore, since the Civ3 patch, and the option to relocate the whole game out of the installation folder to get rid of the Win XP compatibility mode, there should be a good chance to get it running smoothly now. Yay! The greatest bummer of that game always was the loading times. Gone for good.

I just wanted to play Civ3 again. And I wanted to play a potent Carthage game! The only REAL Carthage gameplay is Total War Rome 2 Hannibal at the Gates - but after 10.000 hours Total War Rome 2 I ran a bit out of steam, kahaha. There is not really a potent Carthage game out there, and PLEASE!!!!! correct me if I am wrong, I hope that. So, I took Civ3 Complete GOG, I took TAM 2.6b, I took about 3 weeks to mod patch that thing to please my needs.

But Thamis is the creator, who did huge efforts and who provides that Mod. I shouldnt need permission, cause to mod Civ3 is allowed, and to mod patch a mod is allowed too in my opinion. But I just state that now and here: I have a VERY potent TAM 2.6b Mod Patch on a freakin level, just without enough test games to test all 31 factions. I will enjoy now my first REAL Carthage Civ3 game. And I just wanted to let Thamis and all the other duuds know.

Enjoy your days! :)

Last edited:
You are usually allowed to upload your own mod if you give proper credit.

Yes, I thought so. But since I finished my v1.0 today, and there is no real up to date version testgame yet, not even with Carthage, I thought to just announce it and await reactions. So I cant be blamed. :)

I wrote a Batch File to get all running easily, to load my Mod Patch into TAM, and to reload the TAM Vanilla, and that is something I should bullet proof to not overwrite stuff, kind of tricky. :)

If some guys would like to testplay that thing, or test that thing, would be great, its current stage has 55 MB and down to 28 MB .RAR, I could provide it right here I think. Perhaps that number will rise for some more units later - but for now I would have a 28 MB .RAR including a Batch File to kick the Mod Patch in easily, and that is enough for a One Point Zero version.

I always think about providing a screen shot, cause one detail I am REALLY PROUD OF, is Tyre. To see that famous town as a peninsula huge town is just amazing. BUT. When I took one of my Carthaginian Pirate Biremes and sailed east, I captured another Pirate Bireme north of egyptian Tanis, and I took one to annoy the Tanis Harbour Resource, and I took the other to actual visit Mother Town Tyre - until they finished off my Bireme. No screen shots. It looks great. :)

Last edited:
Hi thamis! A pleasure and honor to meet you here, the creator of TAM, thank you!

Yes, I didnt play Civ3 much in my life, the last time a decade ago. Once, right after release, the computers were too slow for the too complicated loading times, for my taste, and I quit playing after trying to play the SPQR mod, which was unplayable these days. Loading times are a complete bummer in every game, either reloading saves or turn loading times! SOME still play Civ3, SOME still mod Civ3, but to move on, and play on, on Steam or Epic is just the way to go. :)

btw, I encountered a crash in your TAM 2.6b, I think. Cause I didnt change Tecs, or Tec Trees, so it might be a TAM itself crash: When I opened via F6 the Tec Tree screens, four, each era, I got two crashes caused by two missing small.PCX here: Art/Civilopedia/Icons/Buildings, which thumbnails would have to show up in Tec Tree.

I thought to upload my 28 MB .rar right here, but perhaps it would be great to just add that into your ModDB as a possible Mod Patch Upgrade - cause I want to increase the added units anyway. Currently 55 MB full and 28 MB .rar, 30 units plus, I would go for 45 units plus, these added units are 99 percent of my Mod Patch, the rest is just the Icons_32.pcx, Resources.pcx, PediaIcons.txt and the biq itself - and thats it! A basic patch.

thamis! Glad to see you're finally back! I'll take advantage of this opportunity to thank you for your work on TAM and also shamelessly plug the ongoing attempt at a fan-made Civ3 successor also here on C&C.

I cannot speak for thamis, but it seems he is NOT back. :)

I told him, that it is a HIGHLY wondrous thing to get an answer by the creator of the Mod himself, after YEARS, old game, old thread, and IN TIME after my post, not even after a month, but really an answer by guy himself IN TIME, that seems really lucky. But he told me, he does not even own Civ3 anymore and is not even able to check out my Mod Patch, he just offered I could send it to him via email, and he uploads it ModDB at the side of TAM itself - which is a great and lucky and great thing I highly appreciate and welcome! And I recognize how wondrous and lucky that is! Wondrous, and a little anticlimactic at the same time, lol. :)

I had hoped for any kind of interest to watch or play my Mod Patch, and nothing really arrived, yes, old game, old thread, but that really nothing really arrived is a little disappointing, anticipated, but still a little disappointing, so, I did NOT upload right here in thread my ready 1.0, cause if no furious interest is there to actually play that great done thing, I dont care - I will testgame it, and send thamis via email my 2.0, in a month or so, and, the lucky guy actually downloading that, will get a nice 2.0 instead, that is a good decision too!

It is annoying often to trust a game, to seriously play it, just to see it crack and crash after a while! :) Better to seriously play a 2.0 right from the start for any duud out there I think personally - just a month later, that is all fine!

I had hoped for a little testplaying support of my 1.0 or criticism to get my 2.0 done better - but anyway, my Mod Patch is great enough to really enjoy a little spare time to check it out and send the 2.0 result to thamis, all nice, all easy, all fine! :)

Last edited:
Yes, I heard, the last copy of that game from 1898 was found near the Sphinx, the OTHER Sphinx, that one in Ethiopia, and is now in private collection. :)

That just shows how far away thamis is already. Lucky, that I got answer by creator himself, and how freakin fast - weird, that he just would upload without even checking it. I own Civ3 as a Double DVD Edition "Civ3 Conquests", from, I check it, 2003 (!), but I always refuse to play helicopter with DVDs in ANY CASE, and to mod Civ3 German version is a seriously shi***y idea.

So, to download 1,3 GB GOG, and install, to download TAM 2.6, and install, and to download my Mod Patch, and batch it, all on M2, still is no effort at all. I should proof it, how long it would take - but, with my internet and computer and right on my second M2 - thats nothin! :) Still thamis is long off Civ3 and too lazy to even consider that, no offense, no criticism, no negativity, it is just a fact. :) And perhaps worth mentioning. :)

Last edited:
???

Not really an argument for me. Cause Civ3 in this forum is really not that active anymore, I got no interest to actually play my Mod Patch at all! I dont really care, cause I made that for myself to play a great Carthage game, BUT. Why should I over complicate for potential guys who will never appear? If I do German version modding, all the PediaIcons and Path stuff is broken, so I would have to load that German/English "solution" which just implements German/English packs - I prefer to mod in English, upload in English, and walk away! If there would be a german cry baby having a serious interest to play it, perhaps, but you see the mega active Civ3 forum! The only cry baby in here is 85 years old and plays Civ6. kchchchch! :)

Edit:

My first real testgame beyond 1.0 including all 45 added units is just amazing! The decision to give the Phoenicians many many towns in the west means, that the first clash is Carthage vs Phoenicians -Carthage had to take over their towns after Tyre fell to Persia in history- so, I made Carthage surrounded by just ALL, Phoenician influence and towns, Numidians in a strong hinterland, Greeks Sicily, Phokaians Sardinia, Tartessians in the far west, that is incredible fun! :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom