The Ancient Mediterranean MOD (TAM)

Hi
Hopefully somebody will reply.
I've played this mod for a while as Rome on Monarch level. It is currently around 200AD and I just got into the Hellenistic Age... Mind you I'm a "scientifically advanced civilization". No other civ has more tech than me. So my question is... why is the tech progress so slow? I've been looking around TAM topics to see whether someone had the same problem but what I've seen are screenshots from 1650 BC with monarchy. Lol. I was able to get it around AD 100.

Hi
I've played this mod for a while as Rome on Monarch level. It is currently around 200AD and I just got into the Hellenistic Age... Mind you I'm a "scientifically advanced civilization". No other civ has more tech than me. So my question is... why is the tech progress so slow? I've been looking around TAM topics to see whether someone had the same problem but what I've seen are screenshots from 1650 BC with monarchy. Lol. I was able to get it around AD 100.
Hello Shelby67. You are asking a question in an old thread about an old mod. I used to play it but haven't in years. I'm responding and tagging an Admin who might be able to point your question towards someone who can answer it. @leif erikson . Good luck. I did love that mod when I played it so long ago. :)

Sorry, I was a Game of the Month player and no mods are allowed. So I never modded my Civilization games.

Perhaps @Quintillus might have a better understanding? :please:

Hi
Probably a combination of modifying tech to cost more turns and your difficulty setting.
Tam was a nice mod.

Hi
I haven't played the scenario in years... but looking at it in the editor, it looks like tech costs are set to be much higher than in the base game. Pottery costs three times as much to research, so does Literature. Code of Laws costs five times as much.

It would seem that Thamis wanted a slower tech rate, but I'd have to play a game to comment on how it feels to me, and already have too many games-in-progress...

Tech progress also varies by how much tech trading is going on. Even in the base game, 1650 BC for Monarchy is early by most people's standards, even in the base game, but to get there early requires freely trading technologies.

Also, welcome to CFC! :band:

Hi,
Thanks for the welcome :D
Amazing that people still reply in a 20 year old thread!
I guess there wasn't that much tech trading going on. After the initial trading phase, it was usually me who researched stuff and sold it to other civs, with occasional trades when they actually researched something else than me. You've mentioned that costs are set much higher than in the base game. I guess that screenshot I saw earlier might have been perhaps from an earlier stage of development when this was not yet implemented.
Anyway, it's good to know that it's not some kind of problem on my end because I was worried mainly about that.
Cheers.

You've mentioned that costs are set much higher than in the base game. I guess that screenshot I saw earlier might have been perhaps from an earlier stage of development when this was not yet implemented.
It might also have been made by someone playing at a high(er) difficulty level, e.g. DG+?

IIRC, the TAM map is essentially "Pangaea-plus-some-islands", so AI–AI contact and subsequent tech-trading will happen sooner rather than later. Combined with a high difficulty (≥20% discounts on AI-growth/builds at Emp+, tech-costs at Regent for them but inflated for the human player), that can substantially raise the AIs' tech-pace.

Sorry, I was a Game of the Month player and no mods are allowed. So I never modded my Civilization games.

Ho boy. You've got a lot of catching up to do!

IIRC the slow tech in that mod was tied to the effort to of it being just an ancient age period and having development just take longer. @Quintillus post rings true.

Today I started a new game as the Macedons on Regent level and now I've reached Hellenistic Age around 300BC which seems perfectly fine. I'm mainly trading techs with Etruscans; other civs are far behind but I'm trying to be very generous when selling them techs so maybe they catch up eventually.

IIRC the slow tech in that mod was tied to the effort to of it being just an ancient age period and having development just take longer. @Quintillus post rings true.
Also the fact that turns don't last 50 years apiece as they would if you applied the unmodded civ's scale.

(sidenote: gapes at leif erikson)

<strikes Shelby67 off list of potential EFZI PBEM players>

Hi to all.

I began to play this wonderful mod via my GOG Civ3 Complete installation. It says that it misses some graphics but I don't see anything missing. What does it mean?

And I would want also to play something alike, set in Antiquity but not like in most modpacks where everything is preset, cities are already built, map is 'historical' and so on, but just like in TAM where you play it like normal Civ3, with exploration, manual city founding, only with ancient units and techs, with no 'Assyrian helicopters vs American hoplites' and other anachronisms.

Any suggestions will be welcome, thanks.

Hi to all.

I began to play this wonderful mod via my GOG Civ3 Complete installation. It says that it misses some graphics but I don't see anything missing. What does it mean?

And I would want also to play something alike, set in Antiquity but not like in most modpacks where everything is preset, cities are already built, map is 'historical' and so on, but just like in TAM where you play it like normal Civ3, with exploration, manual city founding, only with ancient units and techs, with no 'Assyrian helicopters vs American hoplites' and other anachronisms.

Hello.

:woohoo::dance:[party]:banana::band::cheers::xmascheers:
WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!

Eh...
you were asking?
You want to play Civ3 without set cities etc but just start in the ancient age?
That sounds like just starting and playing Civ3 normally to me.

Or maybe do you mean a mod that only plays in the ancient age?

Hi to all.

Search for Anno Domini or Age of Heroes or Bronze and Iron or Hegemon of Classical World.

Doesn't TAM have a .biq that is just the rules but with random terrain?

Top Bottom