The Cold War Deluxe; 1950-1991

El Justo I just thought of a real cool unit.....a satellite....what do ya think? Make it auto produced and a range of 130 and can recon....But the sattelite should beable to move 4 turns or 3 to show the amount of data that can be taken in......I could make a corny version of a satellite....might want to ask vngrjoe just to make a 1 frame flic of the satellite....cuz then you can just use that for its death and what not.

Drivebymaster said:
El Justo I just thought of a real cool unit.....a satellite....what do ya think? Make it auto produced and a range of 130 and can recon....But the sattelite should beable to move 4 turns or 3 to show the amount of data that can be taken in......I could make a corny version of a satellite....might want to ask vngrjoe just to make a 1 frame flic of the satellite....cuz then you can just use that for its death and what not.
sure is weird. i guess.

re the satellite
Klyden and i had discussed this very unit. however, i must point out that the spy planes are exactly what you've described.

i use them, too. they're quite useful for enemy troop spotting.

here's my latest as USA - Demigod level

i've been rather cautious in my european expedition. i've successfully shipped over dozens and dozens of MBTs and just sent the 1st batch of M1s.

the air war in europe has stiffened up some. i've lost 7 or 8 fighter-bombers and just lost another B52. it seems WP is abandoning the bomber strategy and is instead employing a fighter jet force.

A10s are real nice. they have a heavy ROF.

the M109 Paladin saw its 1st action a few turns back. they have the "lethal land" flag and will help me cleaning up the trash/red-lined units.

WP advances in europe have ceased but China has made her way over the dardenelles and took Thesalonika and burnt Athens to the ground. mao has a stack of type 69 MBTs right at Venice's doorstep. their advance from east asia is really astonishing; definitely one of the most impressive AI advances i've seen in any civ scenario. i'll deal w/ them soon enough.

my euro allies haven't done much over the last few turns. however, both france and the UK launched a series of cruise missile attacks at WP targets approaching my euro positions. the UK even knocked out a few WP mbt divisions.

for some reason or another, i can't build any more Corps units in Paris. is there a civ3 limit on how many you can have on the map at one time?

i captured an ass-load of worker units (before & during the most recent war). it's quite humurous to see the multi-cultural workforce i have employed in europe. i used the dozen+ workers to build another fortress on the hill tile due north of Stuttgart. i'm beginning to seal the commies off. WP reinforcements aren't making it to their front lines w/out the US Air Force showing up.

if you look at the mini-map, you'll see that the Canucks have vicked a city in Africa. I_Batman ought to be proud ;)

the Sarejevo/Belgrade corridor is next w/ the chinese following them into Turkey. this is next on the hitlist.

Attachments

• TCWJuly71.JPG
    TCWJuly71.JPG
    286.8 KB · Views: 218
So the enemy took Paris then You took it? And what bic are you using? Thats much different from what i have. By the way El Justo, This game rocks. You did an awesome job.

JG99_Korab said:
So the enemy took Paris then You took it? And what bic are you using? Thats much different from what i have. By the way El Justo, This game rocks. You did an awesome job.
yes. WP went on a spree in the late 60s and started dismantling france. i took paris 1st then swept south-east.

the biq is the same as the one you have save for the Terrain gfx i'm using and thnx for the props btw.

JG99_Korab said:
could you give me the file?
sure. it's just that the file itself is just a tad over the 2 MB limit thus i'd have to contact TF, upload it to the server, etc.

i'd suggest that you PM me an email address that i can send it to. after that, you put it in the following directory:

Civilization III/Conquests/Scenarios/TCW/Art

or, if you want it as your default, full-time terrain gfx, you could put it in:

Civilization III/Conquests/Art

however, you'd need to back up your original Terrain folder.

Very interesting game you have going. Any status on the space race?

For corps, there is a global limit in that you can only have so many per city you have. You can build more when you take more cities, but I believe the ratio for TCW is set at 4 cities per corps.

Looks like China and India both have done very well and since they don't have anything better to do than come bother you, I am sure Moscow has been on the hot line to them.

I never was a fan of artillery having lethal bombard. It simply makes it too easy for a human to build a stack of them and basically take a city without even having to defeat a defender.

M-1's are beasts. The commies are gonna be in trouble. ;)

Klyden said:
Very interesting game you have going. Any status on the space race?

For corps, there is a global limit in that you can only have so many per city you have. You can build more when you take more cities, but I believe the ratio for TCW is set at 4 cities per corps.

Looks like China and India both have done very well and since they don't have anything better to do than come bother you, I am sure Moscow has been on the hot line to them.

I never was a fan of artillery having lethal bombard. It simply makes it too easy for a human to build a stack of them and basically take a city without even having to defeat a defender.

M-1's are beasts. The commies are gonna be in trouble. ;)
to be honest, i haven't checked the space race at all.

re the Corps
i had forgot all about that. thanks. i'm gonna take out the former yugoslavia next and get myself a few M1 Corps.

china's moves have been astonishing to say the least. they just knocked out the turks a turn or 2 ago and they'll have to launch an amphibious assualt onto Crete to purge the Med. of the greeks. that'll be worth keeping an eye on (whether the AI will/is capable of launching amph assault)

i've seen a few India units straying into europe. however, as w/ china, i'm not too worried about them b/c the stats on their mech units are piss-poor. i've paid most of my attention to WP units (T72s are pretty buff) and figured to tempt China into attacking my positions knowing full-well that they'd be crushed. they've yet to launch any serious offensive against my euro positions.

re "lethal land"
i agree but when i'm losing air units as fast as i am now (1 or 2 a turn it seems like) i'll use everything i can get my hands on. i've always tried to avoid the dreaded arty stack method simply b/c it's an exploit. i guess we could further explore removing the lethal flag for any other version. i'll report back on it as i roll through SE Europe.

my city production is cranking out M1s at about 1 per every 4/5/6/7 turns depending. my Atlantic Convoy are now seasoned vets (multiple trips across the Pond) and WP and any other civ has dared not to challenge the F14s/F15s and Tico's that are guarding her.

i have a feeling that peace will be declared very soon so i'm gonna make a push real soon.

Wow El your going a totaly different route than that of I am taking........I decided to invade through Vladivostok....that was the easy part...now to hold off china :lol: Ohh well there is more info on how I accomplished this invasion in the review that I am doing.

Drivebymaster said:
Wow El your going a totaly different route than that of I am taking........I decided to invade through Vladivostok....that was the easy part...now to hold off china :lol: Ohh well there is more info on how I accomplished this invasion in the review that I am doing.
well, i tried that too (early on - '61 or '62) and was rebuffed. i didn't have a very good mech unit inventory at the time and it was probably what prevented me from actually taking Vladisostock before peace was declared. anyhow, i can say that the invasion did or is actually helping me now in 1971. i obliterated the eastern russian road/rr network and WP production is most definitely stunted; they still haven't rebuilt their transportation networks in eastern russia and i'm sealing them off in w europe.

El Justo said:
here's my latest as USA - Demigod level

WP advances in europe have ceased but China has made her way over the dardenelles and took Thesalonika and burnt Athens to the ground. mao has a stack of type 69 MBTs right at Venice's doorstep. their advance from east asia is really astonishing; definitely one of the most impressive AI advances i've seen in any civ scenario. i'll deal w/ them soon enough.

if you look at the mini-map, you'll see that the Canucks have vicked a city in Africa. I_Batman ought to be proud ;)

the Sarejevo/Belgrade corridor is next w/ the chinese following them into Turkey. this is next on the hitlist.

Hi El Justo:

Been busy last couple days and just catching up on your progress.
Wow. Do I see a minumum of 7 armies??

As for the Chinese, there must be something inherent in the game setup, because I have seen this thin black line on the map where China takes a continous string of cites when I play also.

And naturally the Canadians will make their presence felt. Oh if my wonderful canucks had some aircraft carriers for air cover, they could really show the world a thing or two.

update on USA demigod Sept 1971

if you look closely, you'll see i have a new terrain pack installed. it's essentially a hybrid of Cordy's and Womok's terrain. i love those new coast tiles!

a new Atlantic Convoy arrives in france every 4 or 5 turns. this next batch will include all M1s, some Dusters and a few Paladin SPA's.

Hanover is now is under American control. it didn't tak much either due to the WP being cut off in Hanover. they'd try to reinforce and i promptly crushed them as tried.

the Tu 95's have showed up again. not en-masse but a half a dozen or so have went after a few of my Corps units that are out in the open. the Dusters whacked a few of them out of the air, too.

my allies in europe are wusses. a few french cruise missiles, some pathetic italian and iberian offensives and some UK Vulcans appear from time to time but for the most part, the euro civs are beat an the Yanks have been the lone offensive threat among the Blues (non-Reds).

china is beginning to annoy me. they've just sent in about a dozen BS mbts into germany. i've payed very little attention to them (not worth any B52 sorties) but intend to push them back once eastern europe is under control.

the air war goes back and forth. i've shot down a bunch of their interceptors and they've gotten a few of mine. i also lost another buff'er. :mad:

i had the game crash on me several times during the Aug 1971 turn. it seems that (again) the game didn't like it when the WP MiG23 or the Yak141 (not sure which) flies a sorty in the north-facing flc, it crashes. i have no idea why nor is there an error message. i've had this happen to me a handful of times for TCW dating back to the playtesting days. i don't know if it's my system or what but i got around it by reloading the game a few turns prior and making sure i moved the Corps unit that WP was attempting to bombard. it worked. it's now Sept 1971.

i took hanover b/c i need more cities to support more armies (Corps units). i have a GL fortified in Stuttgart just waiting for more cities to be acquired. Paris wil lbe able to build some, too when i secure more positions.

the next few waves of Atlantic Convoys will allow me to maybe penetrate mother Russia. i'll definitely stem China's advances. they're so damn pesky.

Attachments

• TCWSept71.JPG
    TCWSept71.JPG
    269.5 KB · Views: 186
vingrjoe said:
The additional equipment added, referring to the main batteries were the HP-85 initial ballistic computer and radar velocimeters on top of each 16 inch turret. Both of these pieces of hardware improved accuracy of the big guns. The Iowa tested new shells in the 1980s, of which one type achieved a range of 48,603 yards in a worn barrel. Another type was a Sabot round capable of 70,000 yards. Pratt and Whitney even developed 16" scramjet shells capable of 300+ miles and speeds of Mach3+. Of course, these were never put into full production or used by the navy.

I wouldn't say the Iowa's armor is overblown. Certainly, the Iowa is not invincible, but even a 2000 lb HE warhard would still have a hard time penetrating the armor belt. Granted, it would make a mess topside, as it would any other ship. Even penetrating warheads would require numerous hits to do serious damage. The Iowa's armor quality and design were superior to Yamato's, but obviously not equal in thickness. Pound for pound, it was more effective. So to say it's more like a battlecruiser is off the mark.

Raising the defensive value is based on newer ECM equipment and newer countermeasures. Not 'improved armor'. The size and armor was why I raised the HP bonus. The HP bounus would be the same for both the WWII and modern Iowa. The more Armor and Displacement a ship has will effect a ships survivability. Example: a destroyer would take a lot less hits to be critical than a large ship such as a battleship or carrier.

Remember, this is a game we're talking about. It's a what if-alternate history. If a person doesn't like the settings in the scenario, or any scenario, or the whole game for that matter, they can always change it to what they feel is appropriate.

Anyway, my previous post regarding settings, were settings for MY GAME. El Justo asked what tweaks I did, and so I told him. It was not intended to promote my settings, with the exception of a few mentioned in previous posts providing they didn't cause a game imbalance.

Sorry for going somewhat off course El Justo.

I agree.
As pointed out by historian James. F. Dunnigan it was very hard to
sink a Dreadnought with naval-gunfire including hits from 13-16 inch guns.
One should remember that most Dreadnougths were not sunk
by naval gunfire.
Thus it should be close to impossible to sink an Iowa with the warheads
SSM:s have.

In my opinion the only real threats to an Iowa are a massive air-raid
(not likely with regard to US air-superiority) or a multiple submarine attack.

Rocoteh

I was playing the updated PBEM file as the US and man Drivebymaster has got the life. after building up my industry with Factory, Nuclear Plant, and Oil Refinery the M-60s just poured out.

in the Communist War, south america declared war on me for no reason but at that time my industry wasn't putting out m-60s yet so using marines and GI i captured the city in northern Mexico and then went south but lost one marine and one GI against an APC (knew it was going to happen just thought i may get lucky).

i retreated my other marine back to safety and killed off a miniscule offensive by South America who tried to gain one of my southwestern cities that was unguarded.

after signing peace with the commies. i built up my industry and poured out m-60s. when i got 20 m-60s i invaded cuba and captured the island in two turns with the help of air support mostly my 2 B-52s.

then i launched a offensive against the Mexican penisula in order to drive the south americans out of north america. by that time i had 20 mbts on the main land to invade. so continued the offensive against Mexico City and lost 1 m-60 but they lost 2 APC and 2 foot units. then i took the rest of the stack and attacked the city south of Mexico City.

i lost none of my troops because B-52s had killed one APC and had damaged the remaining APC. then that turn i went to Panama City but instead of attacking i placed my troops in the jungle tile because that turn i had no air support to destroy and weaken the units so i would have some casualties. the next turn i used my B-52s to bombard my enemy and captured Panama city.

summary: playing the US is sweet :) the B-52s rocked and the Soviet Union only fought me out at sea while i saw no gain of land in Europe by either side. i may launch an amphibious assult to take the rest of South America which would help my Alliance get the domination victory.

Top Bottom