The Cold War "Nuclear Winter" PBEM

Yeah new thread. I

OK, I went to create a new thread, and I realized I am just not that creative with names for a thread. Somebody give me a good one today and I will put the biq and VC's set of house rules in it tonight, and get this game going.

One last question: How do you guys feel about bumping up Israeli and Yugoslavian troop costs a bit, maybe 20%?

I feel they are a little low, but I will look for other opinions.

I agree on the price increase because you can overcome the production bottlenecks with rush building, which would be perfectly legal. This is especially important in the ME where the Israeli infantry is a monster as it is.

Well can't i only produce isreali infantry in isreal. (Isn't it a house rule.

Yes, you can only produce it in Israel, but the entire economy of the EU is behind it, so you could technically turn out a pile of it there with rush builds. Given how strong the Israeli infantry is compared to the Arabs, a little goes a long way. Of course, doing so carries its own risks in that you pay that much attention there, the WP steam roller might be tempted to make you pay in more ways than one. ;)

OK, I went to create a new thread, and I realized I am just not that creative with names for a thread. Somebody give me a good one today and I will put the biq and VC's set of house rules in it tonight, and get this game going.

Doomsday, or Strangelove

One last question: How do you guys feel about bumping up Israeli and Yugoslavian troop costs a bit, maybe 20%?

I don't think there is any need to change the Yugo infantry. With the cost reduction of the PLA infantry (on the July4 test biq), they are now equal - 12.14.1 no HP bonus at 75 shields. The only difference is the resource requirements and the house rules on regional production. Otherwise they are the same unit, different in name only. The regional production rules are intended to prevent the problem last game with Yugo infantry being built in China (accidental and corrected by the player when pointed out). Raising the cost in Yugo will now have the reverse effect as it would make the PLA the cheaper infantry.

Now the Israeli infantry is completely skewed and 20% may not be enough - 17.18.1 with 1 HP bonus at 150 shields. Compare to the West German (EU's similar quality continental heavyweight infantry) - 17.18.1 with 2 HP bonus at 300 shields (cheap compared to the US with same stats but cost 400). Or compare to another isolated area under direct outside pressure with much less supporting it then Israel has in support - Central America has infantry with 10.12.1 with no HP bonus at 150 shields. Turkey is at 11.14.1 with no HP bonus at 150 shields for another cost comparison.

I would compare the value of the Israeli infantry to the British. Both locations are squeezed in tight with cities with little land to work and lots of water instead. The British are 17.18.1 with 2 HP bonus at 250 shields. How much is that 1HP difference worth (since there are at least 3 units with the same attack.defense.movement and HP bonus costing 250, 300 and 400 shields)? Either Israel stays the same at 150, bumps 20% to 180, bumps to equal with British infantry at 250 or splits the difference at 200. Or we can raise the cost equal to West German at 300 and eliminate the problem of regional production limits like what was done for Yugo-China. I would go with 250.

Oh and don't forget to turn the Debug off for the final game biq..

What are the arab stats. I've played as isreal and production is rather grim. A raise to 250 would make them near impossible to build. How about we keep them the same and put a house limit of one rush every turn during war time. And one rush every two turn during peace time.

Hm. I can't help thinking this discussion would be a little more fruitful if we didn't all already know what positions we were playing. As much as I would love to make Israeli infantry near impossible to build in my position, I recognise that most of us do have some vested interest - I think it's a bit too late to make these changes. It's not a collossal balance problem anyway, and as the main interested party in this debate (in my position in ME) I'm willing to let it go.

Thanks I will only rush the alotted amount from above.

Wow. I did not think I would get that much feedback about Israeli infantry.
OK, if the art to a good compromise is no one is happy, then I think this will work.
I have changed Israeli infantry to 200 GP from their 150.

Even though Man'O'War was cool with the cost staying at 150, and CubsFan had a good idea for a house rule re: the unit rushing, I think the cost should be bumped a bit. Those units are just too powerful to cost 150. The whole intent of the Israeli armed forces is to be small, but very, very tough.

I also love the name Strangelove (one of the best movies ever). I am creating that thread now, and am posting the biq, with altered Israeli infantry cost, and debug turned off.

I do have one problem, and I am not sure how to go about getting around it.
When I create the PBEM, I seem to be forced to play the first turn of the first player, that being CubsFan's Euro turn. I can save that turn, but then I am instructed to send the turn to the next player.

Anybody know how to get around this?

that's easy - whoever is in that Player 1 slot starts off the game :) don't bother revising the order b/c that can be problematic. get cubsfan the file and he can then start if off...

That would mean that Cubsfan will have to set up all 8 positions, with appropriate naming. It is not too difficult, but still not trivial. Took me about 10-15 minutes when I started up.

I guess that is not too bad, and I can walk CubsFan through the process.

And yes, we definitely keep the order Klyden set up years ago with this when he first built the original biq. It is just to painful to alter the order.

I have just recieved the turn from Cubsfan. I'll play the turn ASAP but first need to go through the process of installing etc. etc. on a new computer, so bear with me for a day or so...

I have just recieved the turn from Cubsfan. I'll play the turn ASAP but first need to go through the process of installing etc. etc. on a new computer, so bear with me for a day or so...

Actually, check out the new thread. Dr. Strangelove Loves the Bomb.

Plus, Cubsfan tweaked the biq after I sent him, because somehow I managed to turn debug back on.
So the Aug 4th biq is no good. He is to send me the Aug 7th biq, which I will post.

Top Bottom