The Community Deity Game #2 - Assyria

This reads as very good. The late game pretty much revolves around making as many GS as you possibly can. One of the mistakes I keep making is not delaying Hubble until all natural GS have spawned. You can save at least 10 turns like that. Other than that, if you get the PT and enough faith to buy 2 GS, you should have enough to finish at the latest of 240

I wish this was the case but it isn't - the fastest denouncement I've gotten after resurrection was in 3 turns and not only that but we managed to get DoF between the events.
In the current Japan DCL#43 I had a resurrected AI DOW me. I have never seen that before! To make it more crazy, I had just gifted him a city (a formal capital no less) because I was about to loose it. I had rocket launcher stationed in that city, so I was able to bomb myself! I will post a screen shot because it was so bizarre!

I took advantage of a war to sneak in and conquer a capital (scout-Archer, spear-upgraded from starting warrior, CS-gifted warrior) and immediately sold it for 66gpt and 3 luxuries.
Nice! From which AI did you steal, and to whom did you sell?

T229 SV
Achievements A and D

Put a lot of time into this and eventually, thanks to replaying and learning more about fast SV, got the sub-230. I'm still messing up late game and need to learn more about bulbing GS and beaker overflow.

T36 Temple of Artemis
T88 4city NC
T99 Education
T103 snuck in to capture SE capital (no free tech), sold for 66gpt + 3 luxuries
*pushed culture hard and allied CS; got Scholasticism before Rationalism
T140 LToP
T146 Scientific Theory
T148 Forbidden Palace
T155 Freedom Ideology
T174 Porcelain Tower
T184 Freedom passed as World Ideology
T186 Plastics, no GS used yet. Borrowed gold to buy all 4 Labs immediately
*43 turns from Plastics to victory. With better bulbing I think that could have been 39-40. If there is an article on here about end game/bulbing, please post the link.

Spoiler :

Nice! From which AI did you steal, and to whom did you sell?

Spoiler :
Thebes, sold to Carthage. I moved my tiny army over to try and do this with the 2nd last Egyptian city, but didn't get there in time. Carthage was moving over water to get to Thebes and I took up some of the land spots and essentially observed the carnage until defenses were low enough to conquer.

The key points about late game bulbs (which I managed to get down to 35-ish starting from Plastics) is to have as many GS as possible, bulb one at a time, and when you open a tech, dump the excess beakers on a distant expensive tech. If your religion is good enough to buy 2 GS, you can use the Ratio finisher on pretty much any late game tech (I usually use it on Satellites) and then don't finish Hubble just yet because it will push the counter back. It's not entirely necessary to finish Apollo early if you can get all money in advance, technically you can win a turn after you finish Apollo. Not applicable if you need to hard build (at least) one part.

You don't need Sci funding for this to work but it would sure be useful not to have Art funding, with all cities working full sci slots and full Gpp modifiers, there should be a lot of GS towards the end.

The key question is of course, when do you bulb innit, and there are threads for that

The key points about late game bulbs (which I managed to get down to 35-ish starting from Plastics) is to have as many GS as possible, bulb one at a time, and when you open a tech, dump the excess beakers on a distant expensive tech. If your religion is good enough to buy 2 GS, you can use the Ratio finisher on pretty much any late game tech (I usually use it on Satellites) and then don't finish Hubble just yet because it will push the counter back. It's not entirely necessary to finish Apollo early if you can get all money in advance, technically you can win a turn after you finish Apollo. Not applicable if you need to hard build (at least) one part.

You don't need Sci funding for this to work but it would sure be useful not to have Art funding, with all cities working full sci slots and full Gpp modifiers, there should be a lot of GS towards the end.

The key question is of course, when do you bulb innit, and there are threads for that

Thanks. I'm wondering if I may have pumped out 1 more GS if, instead of building ToA, I'd pushed to 5 city (Tradition).

For 2 Faith GS, even if religion isn't good enough, allying a few religious CS can get you 2500 (that's what I did). A good religion would have better better though.

I've been using Ratio finisher on Nano.

Can you always bulb one GS per turn? Do the overflow issues only come up if you try and use a 2nd? I'll look for threads on this.

Can you always bulb one GS per turn? Do the overflow issues only come up if you try and use a 2nd? I'll look for threads on this.
No, as you will hit the overflow cap anytime you have less than four turns of research.

Say, for example, you finish a tech one turn and on the next turn you have six or seven or eight turns for the new tech and so you bulb, no problem.

The next turn you certainly have less than three turns left, or maybe the bulb took care of that tech completely and got you halfway through the next one in your queue. Either way (when you are not bulbing two expensive techs in a row), you have to hold off bulbing the very next turn. Or maybe change up your research queue to some new tech? My point is that. yes, overflow issues can come up even if you never use a 2nd GS on a single turn.

I really need to finish this one off, I stopped right after I got volunteer army after building nothing but boy scouts all game. With my new pile of infantry, I think I can finish this possibly, I am already past turn 230, so that achievement is out. I think the no units achievement will be all I get if no one invades. I didn't think it was possible, but it looks possible now! Someone will probably launch before me though, but who knows.

Thanks Beetle, I think that's a key piece of information I was missing.

Well I was double DOW'd by Theodora and Carthage after Carthage switched to Order. Bad playing on my part, I should have went order myself but I am so used to Freedom I couldn't continue on. I restarted before watching my legions and scouts get trampled to death and tried again from turn 1.

I need to start saving more saves so I can restart from the point of error. I love this game so much, especially on Deity. Deity truly makes me sweat and feel like every turn I am alive is bought with a bloody price, especially on a map like this which is very winnable without building a single unit and not going to war.

My restart went wonderfully until a horseman showed up in my expo and stole one of my workers. The worst thing is, there is no way for me to get it back with just boy scouts. On top of that, Theo snuck two settlers past me to settle the coastal whales. She is a disaster waiting to happen. I need better city spots, so I am restarting yet again. I want to Achieve A and D, my last game fell apart at turn 244 and I had happiness problems all game. This round had serious happiness problems too for some crazy reason.

I need to improve. Emperor and below, I can turn any game around. But I have only won once on Deity, and it was a Diplo Victory. I only allow myself 5 hours a week to play this game, so that I don't fall for the 1 more turn effect. We all know what I am talking about there...

Set autosave to 1 turn, and keep at least 300 turns. My game crashes when I play large maps/games every once in a while so that also helps, in addition to being able to replay any turns if I made mistakes which is extremely likely when I try to manage more than 30 cities at war.

Set autosave to 1 turn, and keep at least 300 turns. My game crashes when I play large maps/games every once in a while so that also helps, in addition to being able to replay any turns if I made mistakes which is extremely likely when I try to manage more than 30 cities at war.

I've done that now, I will be taking advantage of this, probably tonight to switch to Tradition from Liberty on CDG 3. I need to get better at worker steals, I am great at stealing them from City states but not from other AI's. I circled William's entire empire looking for an opening where my scout wouldn't be swarmed and there just wasn't one anywhere. Frustrating beyond belief, but it greatly influenced my decision to go liberty instead of tradition, but that was a bad choice.

In this one, Tradition is the obvious choice due to the nature of the Scout army. My main mistake was in my culture game, once I chose an ideology I was suddenly at -20 happiness and invaded every other turn by barbs. I should have built more culture buildings, and chosen order like my neighbors all around me. Then, once Theo converted Dido to Order, they DOW'd me on the same turn. I didn't stick around to see how that would end...

T265 SV
+ Achievement E

Spoiler :
I didn't touch Civ 5 for over two months so I'm glad this ended up being easy, but there was much room for improvement. Pretty basic 5-city Tradition game, with T90 NC, T104 Education, T151 ST, T197 Plastics and then a crawl to the finish partly because of small cities and partly because of poor bulb planning on my part. I went Freedom in basically all of my recent SVs so I thought I'd mix it up and go Order this time. Harun beat me to ideologies by one turn and we took Order, so I ended up needing to build Kremlin at the end to speed up the Rationalism finisher.

I was pleasantly surprised to see Theodora do quite well for herself, which kept both her and Dido busy.

Policies: Tradition -> Rationalism -> Order 6

Attachments

• 8930_screenshots_2016-01-19_00002.jpg
    8930_screenshots_2016-01-19_00002.jpg
    467.8 KB · Views: 107
Turn 266 Science Victory

Achievements E.

CDG2.jpg

Spoiler :
Followed Ackesn`s Freedom SV.(Trad-Com-Rat-Freedom(4))

Settled near the El Dorado.
Went for 4 city Tradition(wanted 5 but had happiness and barb problems) and got a horrid timing on NC(t100 as I was too tired and made a lot of errors)

I settled near river-hills to have gardens in 3 of my 4 cities.(also had 2 observatories.)
Also one policy was wasted on Patronage as it was too early to open commerce or rationalism.

Another shocker was that I lost big ben to Persia.

However harun helped with his massive gold(13K) at the end.(I was thinking of selling cities and buildings but did not have to do so.)
Both Harun and Theo going Freedom also meant I could sell all my luxes without having ideology issues.
Wonders built were Forbidden Palace-PT-SoL-Hubble

CS allies were firstly cultural and then faith.

Won it with achievement E (3pts): pass science funding in WC. Although Ethiopia was so active on the international arena that I managed it only a couple of turns before the end of the game :)

Spoiler :
Went full tradition, patro for science, full ratio and managed to open commerce. I wanted to do a fast freedom science win, but EVERYTHING went wrong: I missed Big Ben, didn't have culture enough to even take the policy for buying spaceship parts (had a tough competition for cultural CSs with Ethiopia...) I was battling with unhappiness for half of the game and was also a paria among the world leaders with my Freedom -_- Should have gone order, I guess, it would have been much better with my 6 cities. I got porcelain tower, SoL, Cristo Redentor, Hubble and Neushweinstein. But lost all the international projects... Meh.

So... I won, but I'm not happy with this game. I enjoyed what I did with CDG03 much more, even though I missed :p

finally managed to get this one, after stealing as much insight from everyone in this thread. the only achievement I managed was to not build any military units, apparently my diplomacy is getting better :).

Great map!

T266 SV 7 points DE

Spoiler :

Built zero units. Got a couple units from militaristic city states, which did nothing at all. Got Science Funding passed, which wasn't difficult with me controlling 2/3 of the city states.

T235 SV 0:rolleyes: points

What a lousy game. One by one all the achievements ran away (I did try to get them, although one might be thinking otherwise). Great start (good land), so I got greedy and tried 6-city tradition. 2 spots after NC that looked too tempting. As a result I got a lot of hate, no happiness and problems with culture. I also had to fight a war for the spots. Had no gpt until t190 due to loans for luxes and bribes.

Still, I calculated a 229 win after my crappy empire (of course of the heathen kind) was able to amass 1000 faith at t225 for the final GS. At least 1 achievement. But no, GS cannot be bought unless rationalism is finished:mad: This just didn't cross my mind since I always finish rationalism. That was a wasted hour coordinating faith,bulbs, money etc "perfectly" for <230...

Clicked till the end relatively uninspired, so could have been 233 I think. Stopped micromanaging when I realised I would get 0 points. Really think 6 cities without "Representation" is a big mistake combined with Freedom. 23 policies is just to thick to plow through.

Some details/screenshots:

Spoiler :

4-city NC (don't remember exactly, t7x something)
t96 Education
t147 SciTheory
t155 Freedom (a mistake, should have picked order: had -30 ideology pressure before t200, and w/ 6 cities it would have been nice to skip commerce)
t189 Plastics

As you can see, my 6th city didn't really kick in until after Plastics. Was just a problem until then. It shouldn't take 42 turns from SciTheory until Plastics. However, If you´re able to get 2 GS from faith and finish rationalism, it would have only taken ca 25t after labs to win w/ 6 cities. Didn't accelerate until the very end, 6 cities paid off from t200 having 1500bpt after labs.

Big Ben, Hubble, porcelain were only wonders. Everything else went too early. AI did a good job in this game. Haile and Dido kept track with me until I started to bulb.

No money meant hard-build everything, adding turns w/o science buildings. Well, I had a lot of money but had to buy happiness and peace. CS were hotly contested. Realised I would be GS starved in this game (no religion, no pisa, few garden), so used 0 GS before Flight. Had 12 total, 9 natural, 1 porcelain, 2 Hubble. Should have tried to delay porcelain to like t22x to maybe squeeze out 1 more natural.

Policies: Tradition, 3 in Commerce, 3 in Rationalism, 6 in Freedom (despite winning WF having 2 cultural cs ally almost entire game, guilds early, having El Dorado etc). Could have gotten 1 more in rationalism, but didn't bother towards the end. Pretty sure that city #6 cost me a final policy. Stupid me was to attracted when I saw mountain/river spot with Solomon mine and 6 fish/pearl spot still available.

Took 1 city that Theodora settled in "my" territory early around t130. Stole banking when 2t left to research myself:roll eyes:

Was attacked 6 or 7 times (twice <150), and wanted a war of my own, so no military was quite quickly gone.
I tried to help Dido take Thebes, but she spent 150 turns at war to grab it. Egypt died right before end, so didn't have time to liberate.
Science funding due to pass next vote, but really wanted to end the game. Never had control over WC (Ethiopia founded 120, had Globe and Pisa before 130).

All in all, quite the comedy of errors putting me nicely at the bottom of this one...

Assyria_Victory.jpg
Assyria_Plastics.jpg
Assyria_PubSchool.jpg
Assyria_Education.jpg

Top Bottom