The Dao Inquisition

n0-1-imp0rtant

Chieftain
Hello, everyone who's still around! Long time ghost 1st time post here. Really missed some quality fantasy 4X action, so after ten years or so, I'm back to Orbis ModMod. I remember it fondly. I'm here because I need some advice for playing the Dao civ. Really anything you peeps can tell me, or any guide you can refer me to will be helpful.
SPECIFICALLY - how do I root out foreign religions from my cities without access to divine units(and "inquisitor" promotion). this is a problem especially with cult of the dragon, since my religious units can go rogue on me when I invade the holy city's owner.
I tried searching the forums for info but came up empty-handed. Apologies if I missed it.
Also, sorry if this is posted in the wrong place, or if I should have used a tag. Thank you.

Hello,
I have no idea...
I don't suppose that the Dao archmages (or mages) are able to do it?
they are disciples units, so maybe they can earn that promotion, you'll have to check the civilopedia.
an advice : auto-summoned Elementals are supposed to be allowed to upgrade to Elder elemental ; however that doesn't work in practice.
you'll have to edit the xml related to the unit, check all Elder_ELEMENTAL (?) and give them a construction cost (they are at 0 or -1 at the moment ; I put 150 or 200) ; you should check that they still remain non-buildable but have that "build cost" or construction cost....

I don't suppose that the Dao archmages (or mages) are able to do it?
they are disciples units, so maybe they can earn that promotion, you'll have to check the civilopedia.
Well, civilopedia lists "inquisitor" in available promotions for hermits, conjurers, elementalists and druids(shugenja). I tested this using the world editor. No cigar.
I gave my civ all the above mentioned units with 100 xp each, and all the techs needed to support them. when promoting them I didn't see "inquisitor". also spawned an old-ones cultist just to make sure inquisitor isn't locked behind some tech I don't have.
I guess the only way to get rid of religion with dao is to spawn a 2nd tier "regular" disciple unit for yourself(3rd tier abandon you if not state religion). or being gifted such a unit in multiplayer.
p.s. warrior monks also can't take inquisitor.
an advice : auto-summoned Elementals are supposed to be allowed to upgrade to Elder elemental ; however that doesn't work in practice.
you'll have to edit the xml related to the unit, check all Elder_ELEMENTAL (?) and give them a construction cost (they are at 0 or -1 at the moment ; I put 150 or 200) ; you should check that they still remain non-buildable but have that "build cost" or construction cost....
I am really bad at ^this^. I thought I found the right file, but I couldn't find the line you're talking about. If you can post a screenshot, or refer me to a good guide for modifying game-files I would appreciate it.
Also those XMLs are defaulted to open with microsoft explorer browser. That feels wrong. any software you recommend for that sorta' thing? I really need to educate myself coding-wise.

Last edited:
I guess the only way to get rid of religion with dao is to spawn a 2nd tier "regular" disciple unit for yourself(3rd tier abandon you if not state religion). or being gifted such a unit in multiplayer.
Found another way. I can research "return of the glaciers". It is the only religion founding tech available to agnostic civs, because... illians. So just train the freebie disciple to 2nd tier (or get another using temple of the hand) and BAM! dao inquisition!
Its not ideal (much like any inquisition, I imagine), but it works.
Should also be doable with other agnostic(e.g. Grigori) or cultist(e.g. Mechanos, Scions of Patria) civs/leaders. (not tested)

Last edited:
thanks for the tip !
as a software, I use notepad++ which is kinda great.
I'll find the file this evening (if I think about it).

there is another issue : the Dao have 2 Leaders; one of those has Spiritual : Hermits slowly earn XP and can thus upgrade to conjurers.
However the 2nd Dao leader doesn't have spiritual... and thus no way of earning xp save by combat or by building the Altar of Luonnatar.
there are 2 solutions :
-either lower the bar for conjurer to lvl 3, (as they are not as strong as mages anyway it's not so bad)
-give channeling I or channeling 2 to hermits... which should give them slow xp even without a spiritual leader, but I didn't test if that opened or not a bigger case of worms...

Yeah... idk how to do all that. as I said - I suck at coding, But I'm willing to learn. I really wish I could tweak game-files like that and have my own expansive "home-grown" orbis patch.
This modmod along with the original FfH2 used to be my life back in the day. I really want to see it grow, but no one have the time or the will for it anymore.
I guess... if you want something done right, you gotta do it yourself.
Thanks for the input bro. Richard is king.

Hello from the AoE neighbour ^^ if you want to learn xml and python coding, i'm more than willing to teach. Motivated people in one mod are good for the whole community ^^

Hello,

took me a bit more time than needed...
paste over same file in (beyond the sword/mods/orbis/assets/xml/units)
I just changed Elder elementals to cost 100 :hammers: ... (which is cheap for their power but not free either).
and I gave "druidic" to hermits in hope it give them some free xp.

Attachments

• CIV4UnitInfos.xml
    1.6 MB · Views: 220
Woah... thanks! Downloaded NP++ like you said, and been talking to some nice peeps on AoE discord to learn how to mod little things. But this should help a lot!
Anything else you patched in this file?
Also - would't having a hammer cost mean that I can build elder-elementals in cities? Don't really want that to happen, especially since AI will abuse the horsehocky out of it, if it's dao.

Last edited:
I didn't change more than that.
icost 100 (in retrospect it seems fair : champions are at 120 but you upgrade from a axeman costing 60 so you only pay 60 wheras the elementals starts with a 0 cost... so you have to pay a full cost upgrade of +100 + you need level 5 units..)
iAdvancedStartCost 1000 so you can't get some easily if playing advanced start

and as they have a "iMinLevel =5" you can't build them in cities... they can only be upgraded from elementals of level 5 or more.

and as I said, I gave "druidic" to Hermits ... which doesn't do much but still might allow them to transform into bears if they ever get the lycantrope promotion (which is not easy to get)
if it doesn't give them free xp gain when playing with the not-spiritual leader, change druidic by PROMOTION_CHANNELING1
(and you might have to restart, I'm not sure)

Last edited:
Ohhh... Right. I totally missed the <iMinLevel> tag. Not 100% on how it all comes together yet :)
Can also/instead give hermits potency. Should give them flat xp over time (just like a spiritual leader does).

you could give them potency, true. that might be the cleanest way to do it.
however Spiritual leader get same xp than non-spi leader.. this somehow "weaken" the spiritual leader in comparison to the other leader. (not by much, but a bit)

Top Bottom