The Doctor is coming, the Doctor is coming!!

Was anyone able to follow the story in Season 13? (the "Flux") I was confused in the very first episode, thinking,
Spoiler :
"Wait, wasn't she stuck in a Jadoon prison?", forgetting that she got out in a holiday special.
Maybe that set me up for being confused the whole season, I dunno. But I couldn't follow it at all. I liked the monster costumes :)

Last edited:
I liked it, but the timing of the seasons and so on have been messed about quite a bit by the pandemic, which is likely what you're feeling the effects of too. Maybe? I rewatched everything from Eccleston onwards to prepare for Flux, so it all followed pretty well for me.

I liked Flux personally, too. Wasn't afraid to try new things.
Spoiler :
I like the whole 13th Doctor in general, though I know she's not always been fantastically popular. I would agree with something I've seen a lot, in that the writing has gotten better as Jodie's time has gone on. Possibly just because they've spent so long writing male archetypes it makes it hard to switch, contextually? They setup some really nice stuff with Jo Martin - the other incarnation in the current timeline - so I'm hoping they expand on that as that's where the writing worked really well in my opinion. The Master, too. Bit miffed that Missy's time was basically just vanished out of existence, but we might see that thread pulled on again in the future.

Overall, the weakest point was the background to the villains. They were just . . . there, but that is a risk with creating something completely new (in such a longstanding series). They've had limited time to seed the new history, much like every time they ignored the rules back in the original show (pre-reboot). Hope it pays off in the long term, there's definitely a lot of potential.

I didn't like the "let's make the Doctor a girl, just because we can and it will piss people off" thing, but I was willing to go with it. Jodie Whittaker has done a fantastic job, but the writing has been mostly terrible. (the writing was terrible for most of Peter Capaldi's run as well, but he had a few great monologues) They already showed that they could switch the sex of a main character with the Master (I thought Missy was great even tho' I was skeptical at first), so I didn't see the need for doing it with the Doctor. But anyway, I think I need to watch the whole Flux season again to see if it makes any sense the 2nd time along.

Spoiler ETA :
The thing I hated the most about the previous season was retconning the Doctor into an immortal, even if he hadn't known up until them. (the Timeless Child thing) Immortals are boring because they have nothing at risk.

I really liked that weeping angels episode.

And the people stuck in that traffic jam for a few years made me happy for some reason.
Americans would just give up.
So British :D

I stopped after grumpy Who.
Will have to catch up some day.

Ah, no worries I'm just a casual fan.

There are so many resets, redos, daleks vs. stairs moments, and time shenanigans, I just take the show as it comes for what it is. :lol:

[This is the newest Doctor Who thread I could find. Sorry if it's not the most current.]
There is a dedicated Doctor Who thread in the Arts & Entertainment forum.

Thanks for the link. That is the thread I was looking for, and somehow couldn't find.
So these new posts could be moved there and this thread closed?

Some sad news, for the Classic Who fans who enjoyed the U.N.I.T. stories: Richard Franklin, who played Captain Mike Yates, has died.

richard-franklin-yates-dr-who-dead.png

Captain Yates and Sergeant Benson were the right-hand officers of Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart. Yates was the more serious, no-nonsense of the two officers, with Benson a bit more light-hearted and apt to get into trouble.

He wasn't my favorite of the U.N.I.T. characters, but it's still sad to see any of them go.

Well, I finally caught up to the point where the Thirteenth Doctor regenerates. As usual, it seems to me that she's only just started being the Doctor. I think this must be a sign of age because when I was young it seemed that each Doctor lasted for ages, even the Sixth, but all of the new ones seem to me to quit after about six episodes. Which I know isn't actually the case, but still.

Overall I think that Whittaker has been easily the weakest of the new Doctors. I don't think this is her fault. She's a very good actor. The problem is that her Doctor, as written, simply doesn't have any gravitas at all. She's not really very charismatic and doesn't seem very strange, whereas all of the greatest Doctors have pulled off that odd combination of humour, compassion, authority, subversion, and alien weirdness and cold detachment. That's why Tom Baker is still the greatest Doctor, because that's what he's actually like, and why David Tennant is still the greatest of the new ones, because he understands it perfectly (and so did his writers). All of the new ones have managed it to some degree, other than Whittaker, which I suspect in her case is due partly to miscasting and partly to consistently very poor writing. (Also the dreadful wardrobe. Honestly, she was the worst-dressed Doctor of them all, and I'm including Colin Baker in that.) She did have some good moments, but they were few and far between. Compare Capaldi, who also suffered from a lot of weak writing and unimaginative stories, but who got the alien charisma of the Doctor down pat, had the chance to deliver some absolutely storming speeches, and enjoyed an unexpectedly excellent final season.

I think the real problem was that Chibnall was a bad choice for show-runner. The episodes he wrote were, at best, OK, and at worst were dull. Instead of crafting interesting stories and interesting problems for the Doctor he resorted to throwing in every villain ever in ways that didn't generally make sense. His best episodes, such as Eve of the Daleks, are those where he resisted the temptation to do this. On the plus side, he did cast Sacha Dhawan as the Master, who was absolutely superb. Also:

Spoiler :

Casting Jo Martin as the Fugitive Doctor was a masterstroke. She was so astonishingly good, despite appearing so little. And that really put paid to the notion that Whittaker was weak simply on account of being female, too, or should have done.

So he certainly wasn't totally terrible. Overall, though, his period as show-runner was weak, and it's a shame that that reflects, not entirely justly, on Whittaker - much as Colin Baker became the public face of John Nathan-Turner's poor direction.

Speaking of Tom Baker, he had his 90th birthday recently. :)

Speaking of Tom Baker, he had his 90th birthday recently. :)
And, his thick, red afro has given way to being chrome-dome bald - the curse of so many older men...

It just means he's not as vain as Shatner. Some recent-ish photos were posted on TrekBBS, and he's a lot thinner than he used to be. But he's still mentally alert, which is good.

Top Bottom