The Doctor is coming, the Doctor is coming!!

The poor spiders.:sad:

Tom Baker was THE quintessential Doctor - but that was eons ago, and the actor has since succumbed to the fate of many (but not all) older men - his once trademark red afro is no more and he is now chrome dome bald. :(

Surely you're thinking of Colin Baker, aren't you? In your second point if not your first.

I thought the spiders one was the best so far. Overall I think this series is decent but I'm finding the writing very underwhelming - it mostly lacks the zip and fizz of Moffat's tenure. Jodie Whittaker is pretty decent - she's channelling Tennant a bit (still the touchstone for modern Doctors), but the characterisation is a bit more like Smith/Davidson - i.e. rather understated and error-prone. I quite like that. The trousers are unforgiveable though. Bradley Walsh is absolutely amazing. I'd never heard of him before this, but there was a lot of controversy over casting a gameshow host as a companion, but he's clearly a man of many talents.

I still haven't seen any of the episodes. I've got the first episode on my PVR (hadn't realized that there would be a Doctor Who marathon over Thanksgiving weekend and it recorded a slew of episodes from the Smith/Capaldi seasons as well).

There will probably be another holiday marathon either over Christmas or New Year's, so I'll make an effort then. The only Whovian story that has my attention right now is a crossover fanfic that's in the planning stages, and the Whovian part of that includes the Fifth Doctor, Nyssa, Tegan, and Turlough.

I thought the spiders one was the best so far. Overall I think this series is decent but I'm finding the writing very underwhelming.

I agree with both these points. I think Jodie Whittaker is great but the writing is lacking some oomph so far. Waiting for a signature episode/moment to happen.

Chibnall is obviously a good writer - I did like Broadchurch, even the much-hated second series - but I'm not convinced he's a great Who writer. He's written or co-written every one so far, so I think it will be interesting to see what happens when some non-Chibnall-written episodes appear.

I just watched the spider one on Spectrum OnDemand. The acting was good by everybody. The writing is not quite there yet but this was the best so far this season. At least it's not objectionable. I enjoyed this one.

There is going to be no Christmas day special this year.
Too many snowmen etc they have run out of ideas.
They will be doing a special for new years instead.

Well, that's a turn-up for the books. I really enjoyed their superhero-themed one a few years back.

Excellent news, Silurian. I'm getting tired of people trying to shoehorn a religious holiday into everything.

Well Christmas is not much of a religious holiday in the UK anymore for the majority of people.
Less than 50% have a religion so why would it.
It is a year end mid winter family celebration.

If it is set on New Years Eve or Day, rather than just shown then what will be the story.

The actual day of the new year has some interesting stories of its own.

Well maybe they will arrive on the morning of new years day and wonder where everyone is!
assuming they do not know it is new years day

So who is getting stuff from Amazon this Christmas.

Spoiler :
if so beware the packaging

Season's over. No further discussion.

May I just assume everyone has been as underwhelmed as I've been?

It hasn't even aired here yet (Syfy's done a marathon of the post-Clara season with Capaldi at the turn of the year) but I suppose it will within the next few months.

But I won't object to discussion and tantalising spoilers.

I simply haven't had a chance yet to see the last two or three episodes, but I will do. Overall I thought it was a decent season with some good episodes that clearly touched a nerve with the kind of people who use the phrase "PC brigade". I thought that Whittaker was OK as the Doctor but doesn't really have the presence and charisma that some of her predecessors did; she rarely seemed to be the natural leader of the group, though there were some moments (especially in "Kerblam") when the character's intrinsic authority surfaced quite nicely. So on the basis of what I've seen I'd say she's the weakest of the "new" Doctors but by no means bad. The series has suffered, though, from quite lacklustre writing throughout, which hasn't helped.

In general this series has seemed to me surprisingly similar to the very earliest stories with the First Doctor: a strong historical emphasis, with episodes that are clearly meant to educate as well as entertain; a group of travellers with the Doctor among them rather than an authoritative Doctor being followed about by "companions"; a Doctor who blends into the background rather than taking charge. It's interesting that a lot of the louder critics seem to think this series isn't "proper" Doctor Who any more when in some ways it's closer to the original vision of the programme than any others we've had for a long time.

I agree, the season had a tinge of classic Who to it, a bit as if Chibnall's earnest investment in the series came from childhood memories but his interest wavered as he grew. For instance, given his age he might have resurrected the three companions formula from the beginning of Davison's tenure. However, a meager ten episodes was downright too few to give everyone their due, and even the Doctor fell victim to it.

Looking back at how other modern doctors were introduced, I recall that both Tennant and Smith (both at the start of their careers, more or less) were given big scenes and big speeches to establish their presence (Eccleston and Capaldi were already well known). Poor Whittaker was upstaged by a companion's grandma and had an action scene in a construction yard that mostly reminded me of Tom Baker's demise scene. I have no problem with a Doctor with a somewhat more primus inter pares, more "Round Table" approach, but as the main attraction they should have allowed her some more grandstanding, so to say?

I'll confess that I was a wee bit confused by some attitudes this Doctor had. You mentioned "Kerblam", and yes, the Doctor took charge there. But then she declared that the same AI that thought that the best way to call attention was murdering innocents (which by the way did not work, as simply sending a box to the Tardis did the trick) was working fine, and left it there at the end under promises of a reform in company policies. Until next time the AI wants to be heard. Also, no one in upper management had to deal with any responsibility in that. "Come with me/and you'll be/in a world of safety violations/my factory has no health regulations" [courtesy of Honest Trailers]
Meanwhile, only a few weeks earlier it was apparently wrong to shoot five rounds rapid at giant murderous vermin. Thirteen evidently thought her solution, i.e. lock them in a safe place and leave them to the notoriously painless fate of death by starvation, was the enlightened way to proceed. I was... baffled, to put it mildly.

Top Bottom