Random bump, but I was talking to Thor and Lec earlier, and I got an idea.

DYOS is an amazing idea, and even if my attempt into DYOS failed, I still love the concept of everyone making a collaborative storyline together. However, some people (like Lec and myself) aren't very artistic when it comes to pictures, and instead express themselves better with words.

I heard DYOS was originally a spin-off of something akin to WYOS, but what-if we started a spin-off of DYOS, and return to the writing roots? It could be based off the same canon of DYOS, or it could be completely new. However, stories in this WYOS would have to primarly text-based; pictures would be OK to serve as supplementary material to the text, but primary focus would be on writing.

So, any interest?

Needless to say, I approve. :D

I'd be interested as well. I'm much better at writing than drawing IMO.

I approve but chances are I probably won't get involved.

The story of DYOS is mostly suited for comics as all sorts of quirky and funny stuff can happen. When put into writing though... it tends to get a little bit seriouser.
Then again I'm thinking "Plans Within Plans" would be much better in writing than in comics.

Also, writing for WYOS would mean less time for me to write my own story which I probably will never show anyone outside of my family and a few bleed-ins of it into DYOS :lol:

Cool. There is interest. However, the looming threat of the canonity of WYOS to DYOS still needs to be addressed before the project can start. It seems as if most of the people who are both interested in WYOS and plan on participating are people who are not a present contributor to DYOS, the only exception being e350tb if I'm reading his comment right (I have no idea if Thor said he would contribute to WYOS; I just know that he thought it was a good idea for Lec and I to make it).

Therefore, I personally would think its best if WYOS ended up being a separate canon than DYOS. In that way, the new guard could come up with its own setting, characters, and in-jokes freely and unhindered by the established canon. Not saying they have to be completely separate; a crossover between the two could be cool once WYOS has its own established universe. However, until that point is reached, it would be best to have WYOS as a fresh start.

I would love to hear what you guys think, though.

I have a penchant for recycling characters I like in different settings (roughly half of my main cast in Part II originated before and beyond DYOS), so take from that what you will re. canon. I wholeheartedly agree, though, that WYOS should be free to tread its own path, especially if it picks up contributors beyond the DYOS core (which I fully expect it to do).

My main question is how it'll be structured: short and rapid-fire like the word games and early DYOS following a narrow POV, or elaborate tracts as now typifies IOT? For reference, this was the second "official" and most successful (using the term loosely) WYOS.

I imagine it would be like current DYOS, in which everyone makes their own arcs that intersect to tell a grander story, and not just one story where people continue the next part. I find the latter to be kind of boring actually, since there's no real freedom to deviate.

Also, I would be lying if I said I don't recycle characters myself sometimes (Like in IOT XIV). But as long as everyone agrees that they are alt. universe version of said characters with no relation to the DYOS version , I personally won't have any problems with people reusing characters from DYOS to WYOS. However, I'd prefer if we stuck to purely original characters.

I have a penchant for recycling characters I like in different settings (roughly half of my main cast in Part II originated before and beyond DYOS), so take from that what you will re. canon. I wholeheartedly agree, though, that WYOS should be free to tread its own path, especially if it picks up contributors beyond the DYOS core (which I fully expect it to do).

My main question is how it'll be structured: short and rapid-fire like the word games and early DYOS following a narrow POV, or elaborate tracts as now typifies IOT? For reference, this was the second "official" and most successful (using the term loosely) WYOS.

I'd much rather the latter. I mean ideally I'd like something that was like the cooperative nature of the writing that went on in Sonspirarcy III without the threat of cancellation due to disinterest by the mod. Narrow POV games usually devolve into something stupid rather quickly and they really stifle creativity. I mean honestly if I wanted to do something like that that I would go to forum games.

I'll probably do a similar thing to you Thorvarld, unless there is a setting that people think of I'll probably reuse some characters that I have used before in settings that got canned due to factors outside my control. Although if someone thinks of a theme that doesn't suit my characters then I'll think of something else.

On the subject of settings, what should be our setting and should we have one? I would argue yes, we should have a setting as it gives something to ground interaction with. Although it should be a fairly vague setting, like for instance some vague inter-dimensional war of vagueness, so that there is a lot of creative freedom for the contributors.

I approve but chances are I probably won't get involved.

This. I find that I'm not a great writer and I find that I'm more better with visuals.

As of late, I've started to gain a bit more sunnier disposition (and applying a stiff upper lip tolerating my current work situation). I know many of you have put up with my depression for almost half a decade now. Even the quality of my work had suffered as a result of it. Has there been times where I thought what would have happened if I did not get depression? Many many times over. But what's done is, done and the only direction for me is up. I've thought about this for a while since I've started to gain a more sunnier disposition and wanted to get it off my chest, even if I already said it many times before.

I apologize for being an egotistical, self-centered, and selfish individual. I also apologize for constantly complaining over trivial things. I am also sorry for thinking of myself as the center of the universe. I am especially sorry to everyone that I've snapped and yelled at. I've regretted many of the things I've done during my Depression Era.

I would like to be given a whole new start as if my depression has never happened and that this whole issue would be water under the bridge. I am willing to make any amends to the trouble I have caused.

I would like to be given a whole new start as if my depression has never happened and that this whole issue would be water under the bridge. I am willing to make any amends to the trouble I have caused

You are forgiven.
Although keep some of that angst for plot purposes ;)

So, if I remember correctly, when we were talking about what to do with the current story at the end of DYOS 11, we generally agreed that we wanted to try to attract some new people, cut ties with the old, stupidly complicated plots we'd been tying ourselves to, and generally try for a fresh start.

So far, the only new people who have posted are NinjaCow and Reus, and they've only posted about 5 comics between them. The thread is still mostly dominated by CivGeneral and Stylesrj, and while they've got enough new things that we're not hopelessly tied to the past, CivGeneral in particular is still holding on to a lot of things from For The Republic and the tail end of DYOS 11. And, honestly, neither of your stories are particularly interesting right now, they're reminding me a lot of the endless drag of filler that DYOS 11 suffered through for long stretches and it's kind of boring to follow them at the moment.

I know that I'm not feeling particularly motivated to join the action right now, kill fire told me he still felt like he needed to know a massive amount of backstory from 10 and 11 and other things to get what was going on in the current thread, I imagine others feel the same way, and we seem to in general have failed at our intended goals so far.

It would be nice if going ahead we could make the story better than how it has gone so far.

So far, the only new people who have posted are NinjaCow and Reus, and they've only posted about 5 comics between them. The thread is still mostly dominated by CivGeneral and Stylesrj, and while they've got enough new things that we're not hopelessly tied to the past, CivGeneral in particular is still holding on to a lot of things from For The Republic and the tail end of DYOS 11. And, honestly, neither of your stories are particularly interesting right now, they're reminding me a lot of the endless drag of filler that DYOS 11 suffered through for long stretches and it's kind of boring to follow them at the moment.

I think the main problem is that we don't really have anything to do.
We've got goals to achieve but no real sense of urgency, no real competition like DYOS 5 was (remember those days guys who were in those days? Well if you ignored my powergaming but still...)

I share those DYOS 11 End of Thread vibes as well choxorn. I don't feel motivated to keep going. I don't feel like I should quit though. If I do that, certain people win. And I don't like to see them win. I won't name names or even *cough* putanameinhere *cough* on who might win if I go. So I stay but sit here scratching my head going... "Hey look another game!"

Top Bottom