I'm going to be mean and just say I have a strong dislike for Stylesrj's and CivGeneral's comics. I don't find them funny or interesting. All the various reform attempts have all come to naught, and in this I acknowledge my own lack of motivation to do anything serious about them, but then again, my interest in this project has been waning for some time prior thanks to, well, I've already said why. The thread is definitely not worth my time to read let alone contribute to and I can say I am definitively done with DYOS now.

So do what you want, I don't care anymore and this is the last you'll hear from me wrt DYOS. I quit.

I was really hoping to start back up from a hiatus from DYOS. I'm quite sadden that TK has shown a strong dislike towards my comics which is starting to make me not have any motivation to continue onward in this project and instead focusing on what I've been doing lately. TK, I don't know if you realize it or not, but I have been working really hard with Thorvald to make a reform within my comicing to make them more interesting. Seeing comments like that just makes me feel disheartened enough to make me not want to continue this project.

What is it that you want me to do?! What is it that my comics are not that interesting anymore?! How can I improve the situation to make them interesting again? If it's to cut ties with the old, stupidly complicated plots, then how can I deliver that in media res?

You really can't do much to cut ties with the past at this point, I'm just saying that it would have been nice if you could have resolved all of the DYOS 11 stuff in FTR rather than here.

And don't get discouraged, you're certainly improving. You don't have knee-jerk reactions to any perceived slight or get pissed when you don't get exactly what you want anymore. You're taking steps in the right direction, but you could certainly get better.

Just one suggestion I can think of is to work on making your characters interesting. It was to a much bigger extent in 11, but both you and Stylesrj have quantity over quality in your characters- you two have lots of characters that are one-dimensional and unmemorable. Lots of characters that I don't even know the name of, and think of only as "Supporting character from a video game that you've played and I haven't" or "Dude with some random specific ability" and, this last one far too much, "Girl with beach balls for a chest and no real personality".

You do, admittedly, give a few characters some actual characterization, but that's kind of a problem when it's just one or two people with real traits and a bunch of random supporting characters. It makes the main characters seem Mary Sue-ish when they're the only ones you give any attention to, and most of the supporting characters and story seem to revolve around them.

You really can't do much to cut ties with the past at this point, I'm just saying that it would have been nice if you could have resolved all of the DYOS 11 stuff in FTR rather than here.
You don't know how many times I've gone through that in my head Chox. A million times over in my head after I came out of my depression. Even personally talked with Thorvald about it as well. The only bandaid solution I can offer is cease any references to DYOS 11 and FTR.

And don't get discouraged, you're certainly improving. You don't have knee-jerk reactions to any perceived slight or get pissed when you don't get exactly what you want anymore. You're taking steps in the right direction, but you could certainly get better.
Thanks, I needed that .

Just one suggestion I can think of is to work on making your characters interesting. It was to a much bigger extent in 11, but both you and Stylesrj have quantity over quality in your characters- you two have lots of characters that are one-dimensional and unmemorable. Lots of characters that I don't even know the name of, and think of only as "Supporting character from a video game that you've played and I haven't" or "Dude with some random specific ability" and, this last one far too much, "Girl with beach balls for a chest and no real personality".

You do, admittedly, give a few characters some actual characterization, but that's kind of a problem when it's just one or two people with real traits and a bunch of random supporting characters. It makes the main characters seem Mary Sue-ish when they're the only ones you give any attention to, and most of the supporting characters and story seem to revolve around them.
Well, the thing is. I'm trying to progressively get back to the main plot (without creating a huge huge long comic that encompass the encounter with Darth Hakai then heading to Nova Terra. Unless I can get away with doing a huge text dump Thorvald did with PwP) and then work on trying to get down to a duo of myself and Morrigan (Perhaps the encounter with Darth Hakai is a risky venture causing most to jump ship on Nova Terra. Hey it's my way of putting them on a bus or something). To be honest with Morrigan, I am planning to attempt to give her a personality that's in stark contrast to my own OC (Even Thorvald was intrigued about it since she's not a goody-too-shoes like the other girls I've had) instead of a airhead succubus with big knockers. As for reducing the number of characters, I've asked this in a previous post but that was left unanswered (I asked if I should go with reducing to four people). Though I want to end up with two sets of duos, one the protagonists and the antagonists.

I know most of what Choxorn said is directed at CG, but some of it applies to me as well.

It was to a much bigger extent in 11, but both you and Stylesrj have quantity over quality in your characters- you two have lots of characters that are one-dimensional and unmemorable.

I can't argue with that honestly. I tried giving personality to them all, but there's just so many to give it to that most come off as one-dimensional. I need to cut back and focus on who matters. The original trio.

this last one far too much, "Girl with beach balls for a chest and no real personality".

That's a good point Choxorn. I need to stop doing that myself with Delia. Her personality should be based around her intelligence and heightened perception rather than her "Fun Bags of Holding"

It makes the main characters seem Mary Sue-ish when they're the only ones you give any attention to, and most of the supporting characters and story seem to revolve around them.

I still would have preferred a focus on Nozomi. Out with the old, in with the new. I'll still keep saying this because that's just my preferences. It's why I created my primary trio, because I thought we were all going for the generational gap approach.

That's a good point Choxorn. I need to stop doing that myself with Delia. Her personality should be based around her intelligence and heightened perception rather than her "Fun Bags of Holding"
Even Morrigan would point and laugh at, what's gonna become Delia's gag boobs :p.

I still would have preferred a focus on Nozomi. Out with the old, in with the new. I'll still keep saying this because that's just my preferences. It's why I created my primary trio, because I thought we were all going for the generational gap approach.
Dude, that's just your preference/opinion man. I scrapped it because I found out that it's just gonna be a compelate rehash of my OC with a different actor/actress. Which would get stale very fast. However not everyone went for the generational gap.

As I told you before, I still prefer my DYOS!OC and still want to keep him/myself in focus. If I had Nozomi in focus, well, it's gonna end up becoming a rehash of CG.

Even Morrigan would point and laugh at, what's gonna become Delia's gag boobs

At least she's using them for more than one purpose though :p
But yeah, first order of business is stopping with that nonsense and only reference it occasionally whenever something big needs to be looted and hidden away from the authorities.
It also means she won't pass airport security.

If I had Nozomi in focus, well, it's gonna end up becoming a rehash of CG.

Except sexier! Which you sorta did anyway with Fem!CG.

Ahh, but Bro!Civ and Fem!Civ are the same person. Speaking of which, I gotta revamp her coloring soon.

A question I'd pose to the council in reforming my comics. Deep down, I think its a cop-out but it's the only author's saving throw I can think of. Would it be alright in my next comic that I knock myself out with the diolauge happening while I'm out and awaken at in an hospital in Solitude. Im still ironing out the reasons for going down to a duo. I'd figure this would be a best way to get the subplot done without dragging it further and return to the main plot.

I'm going to be honest, I've debated on killing off my character and just have that as my swan song. But decided against it and go with the "knocked unconscious" route instead.

I'm going to be honest, I've debated on killing off my character and just have that as my swan song. But decided against it and go with the "knocked unconscious" route instead.

I think we've all debated on killing off our own characters. But we never really do carry it out.
I know I've debated just going with my April Fools comic and nuking everyone while my guys all survive. i.e. The Perfection Solution.

I don't see why you can't have CivG and Morrigan get seperated from the rest of the group after the attack and have them make minor appearances as communication screens every now and then. I think you might be planning to do that anyway though.

I don't see why you can't have CivG and Morrigan get seperated from the rest of the group after the attack and have them make minor appearances as communication screens every now and then. I think you might be planning to do that anyway though.
Not really. Since I have intentions to have CivG and Morrigan in a duo, but the rest of the cast put on a bus with only minor minor appearances. It's really an attempt to go back what has worked when I was using Gmod when CivG and Co. just consisted of myself and Alyx (plus Thor and Bjorn).

When we talk about changing tactics, that doesn't mean slamming on the brakes next page. Make the transition sensical, at least.

I think we've all debated on killing off our own characters. But we never really do carry it out.
I know I've debated just going with my April Fools comic and nuking everyone while my guys all survive. i.e. The Perfection Solution.
If you guys want me to kill anyone off, just send me a PM.

I don't know about all of you, but there's been hardly any activity for quite some time. Even I've lost motivation to keep going. Do you think it'll change any time soon?

Honestly, I can't think of what to do next. I know I could just make a random comic or continue with a tangent plotline but they both have nothing to do with the actual plot, hence why I'm hesitating to go ahead with it.

I'm definitely not quitting DYOS though. I don't think I'll ever do that, because if I do, certain people (won't name names here or *cough*putanameinhere*cough*) will win.

So what do we do?

Keep goin'. Plots can weave and tangle any time.

I think what TK said is settling in with me and well... my motivation is sapped and I'm finding much more fun with my random comics on deviantART than even thinking about making a DYOS comic.

In other words, I've gone macro like CivGeneral! :lol:

I think what TK said is settling in with me and well... my motivation is sapped
This has been pretty much how I feel. I've been pretty much hurt by what he said, especially regaining my confidence back and coming out of a depression. Only to have it stomped on when I did decided to come out of hiatus after being more interactive with people on dA. I just don't find DYOS fun anymore when people say that my comics are uninteresting. I feel that there's no longer an emphasis on the rules "No flaming, period & above all else: RESPECT THY FELLOW FORUMERS!" and we're free to be jerks towards one another. If the air of vitrolness were to be lifted and started acting like a community, then maybe I'll come out of hiatus and start contributing again.

To be perfictly honest, I miss the friendly and reasonable TK.

Anyway, this is what I have been up to for the past couple of months:
Spoiler :

Were these done in GMod? No, they're done with Source Film Maker.

I'm going to be mean and just say I have a strong dislike for Stylesrj's and CivGeneral's comics. I don't find them funny or interesting. All the various reform attempts have all come to naught, and in this I acknowledge my own lack of motivation to do anything serious about them, but then again, my interest in this project has been waning for some time prior thanks to, well, I've already said why. The thread is definitely not worth my time to read let alone contribute to and I can say I am definitively done with DYOS now.

Pretty much spot on. I'd like to think you and I are on the same rowing-boat, paddling towards that same waterfall.

Gotta throw an idea for Styles and CG, in spite of not knowing what's really going on because I was away for like a month and by then all of this was gone already.

Cut anything that seems redundant, skip it. Think it all, skip it and build up from dosed flashbacks rather than through pure exposition. It can generate genuine interest in otherwise useless subplots, if well done.

Also, after a full year I have resumed production on my own series for DYOS.

Cut anything that seems redundant, skip it. Think it all, skip it and build up from dosed flashbacks rather than through pure exposition. It can generate genuine interest in otherwise useless subplots, if well done.

Then my comics would be one picture :p
I'm thinking of doing what my brother does. Short comics and not single highly visual page-spanning images.

That's really the best I can think of.

Top Bottom