The Faeries

When attempting to build horsemen with the faerie, their image icon is pink (even though the horseman graphic *is* where it's supposed to be) and trying to choose to build them crashes the game to desktop.

Is it possible that the faerie are not supposed to have access to horsemen? They don't get horse archers or chariots?

Attachments

• AutoSave_AD-0012.CivBeyondSwordSave
    71.7 KB · Views: 68
Hello all! I'm new around and i was introduced to FFH by a friend and checking here in this forum i've found this amazing modmod about it. Before everything, Congratulations for the excellent job!
:goodjob:

While i was playing i found out some issues that i've seen u'll already fix in the next patch. I have one question about this Fey Civ: how can i get those Eternal Fruits?

They're "supposed" to replace your normal grain resources when you get to Eternal Court and your terrain terraforms to Never Never/Eternal Woods. As it stands now, I don't believe they spawn at all.

Yes they are strong^^
Because they are Ice 3 casting, immortal and very strong.
The joke is that they aren't limited in numbers.

Try the following: Build as many Altar of Luonnator stages as you can and tech to fae lords. On the tech line to fae lords comes mithril working. With this tech you can build wood spirits, who are disciple units with double nature affinity and can be upgraded to fae lords on level 9. If you have teched to divine essence you can build the shrine of the champion (Build Foxfire and hit the suicide button).

Now your wood spirits only need 14XP to get Drill 1-4 and Blitz. You should get these 14XP because you built Altar of Luonnator so you have instant bltzed wood spirits. Because of Blitz (and maybe Law 3) your wood spirits can go up to level 9 pretty fast and eventually become fae lords. With these you can rampage the world. When I win a domination victory I usually end up with having 15 fae lords and wood spirits who have 20-30 strength because I mass nature mana. Very funny^^

On the other side you should have noticed that instead of massing fae lords, I could have built the Altar of Luonnator to win, so I do not think that wood spirits upgrading to fae lords are a balance issue.

Sounds like an overpowered strategy to me. But I will try it. ;)

Another thought: many Fey units start with Woodsman I. But this promotion don't grant any benefits for Eternal Woods. What I'm missing? Maybe their race 'Faeries' should give them +25% strength in Eternal Woods.

Faeries might simply need some more unique units, the works. And, probably, the whole thing with the eternal fruits fixed.

What I thought of:

- One, perhaps two new leaders. Only Larincsidhe as a leader is boring, I'd like to have an Arcane leader or something. :p
- Fae Lords being national units might be a good idea too... Four times Ice III still wrecks.
- More Recon line UUs. Which leads me to...
- An abduction mechanic. The most easy way to do this is to give the fairies a slave UU. Hunters and Trackers (or their respective UUs) could have different ways of getting those. Summer court hunters (Changelings) could, for example, sacrifice themselves in an opponent's city to create two of these slaves in your capital. Winter court hunters have a certain chance to generate a slave in battle. Et cetera.
- Those slaves can upgrade to the melee and archery lines. Units upgraded to those should be weaker, especially when attacking cities, but should cost reduced support or something. The Fey should have no way to actually build those lines, just upgrade to them by way of abductees. The Pixie/Sprite line would be the replacement for your mounted line then, and should behave at least partially like it (withdrawal chances, increased movement, the works - iirc, they already do a bit). Make a chariot UU that behaves a little more like melee and all is well.
- The grand plan would be for the Fey to use Mounted, Arcane and Recon lines as your mainstay. Melee and Archery are your thralls to defend cities.
- Minor thematic thing, but the Fey should not be capable of using Iron at all. If it is in your borders, convert it to some other ressource. They, therefore, should also have no equivalent to iron weapons (helps keep the melee/archery line down a bit)
- Give the wishing well an extra happy face. :p
- It would be sweet to have some unique unit art, but I'm an incompetent 3D artist.

Welllll... I planned to make that all into a module, eventually, but that might be a while still.

i like Err0l's thoughts, particularly about the iron and national limit fae lords. also id like to suggest using a modified version of the banshee as unit art :)

i took the liberty of changing the placeholder ljosalfar art with some that i think are more faerie-esqu. i tried to make the summer and winter lords look like their uni buttons. heres a brief preview:

simply extract the attached assets into your Wildmana directory and it should all work fine :) the files only affect the unit graphics.

Attachments

• FaerieAssets.zip
    3.5 MB · Views: 52
Nice new arts. :)
So Larincsidhe will be a avatar hero of the Fey?

And when you are about to look over the Fey: There seems to be a little problem with applying their promotions correctly, please look here.

Thumbs up!

/e: I also think Larincsidhe is actually already implemented, it was some ridiculous end-game condition with having four units of some type iirc...

thanks guys :)

are you sure you want to keep the angel wings on the Larincsidhe? i would switch them for faerie wings (just a retexture).

i was un sure about that as well. im glad someone else thinks so. the reason i kept em was because of his button having angel wings. though i assume the button should be changed as well.

ill give the wing re-texture a crack soon :) ive got a couple of ideas.

I think it is great. Just the summer lord that looks a little to human. Perhaps remove his/her arms?

i took the liberty of changing the placeholder ljosalfar art with some that i think are more faerie-esqu. i tried to make the summer and winter lords look like their uni buttons. heres a brief preview:

simply extract the attached assets into your Wildmana directory and it should all work fine :) the files only affect the unit graphics.

wow, looks really great :goodjob:

I added a little bit of code now that transforms corn into Eternal Fruits, Cows into Faerietoads :lol: and horses into Unicorns in eternal lands.

Really request that the fairies start getting their own art for warriors and other units. It can be rather frustrating to see elves when they're not elves.

Top Bottom