The King of the World Throne Room

I'm working on an "alternate history" with De Gaulle, first. Then we'll talk about the next game :) I am, though, currently leaning Persia, Immortal, with the Ancient Civs only, as discussed above.

Looking forward to it! (meaning I agree)

I'm working on an "alternate history" with De Gaulle, first. Then we'll talk about the next game :) I am, though, currently leaning Persia, Immortal, with the Ancient Civs only, as discussed above.

Great! Just try to find Xerxes and Leonidas leaderheads.:lol:

And indeed, civ matches reality, the Greek Hoplites are the only Axes that stand up against the terrifying Immortals :D

Now that the current game is pretty much won ;), something that might be fun to see for the next one could be to try a "lonely hearts club" game, and play as the English in Australia.

That would be a different challenge, trying to get a landing point on the mainland, and being semi-isolated.

If you wanted to play with the map more, you could even move others around. Put the Spanish in South America (or change them to the Portugese and put them in Brasil). Maybe the French could start in Canada, and move the Americans to start in California. Let nobody start in their original spots. Russia in Vladivostok. Toku in Poland. Start Monty in India. Be a little crazy.

It would certainly make for an interesting variation.

^Nice idea. But I not so sure if the game is pretty much won. :undecide:

All right. 11 down, more to go. I'd like to move on to a "medieval/Renaissance Civs" map, though I could be persuaded to play another round with the Ancients (Hammurabi and Gilgamesh hardly had much of a chance to shine, for instance). What do you all think?

For a medieval game, I'm thinking...

The Americas
Montezuma of the Aztecs
Huayna Capac of the Inca
Pacal II of the Maya
Sitting Bull of the Native Americans

Africa
Zara Yaqob of Ethiopia
Mansa Musa of Mali

Europe
Justinian I of Byzantium
Brennus of the Celts/Ireland
Willem van Orange of Denmark
Elizabeth of England
Louis XIV of France
Charlemagne of the Holy Roman Empire
Joao II of Portugal
Peter of Russia
Isabella of Spain
Ragnar of the Vikings

Middle East
Saladin of Arabia
Suleiman of the Ottomans

Asia
Qin Shi Huang of China
Asoka of India
Tokugawa of Japan
Suryavarman II of the Khmer
Wang Kon of Korea
Genghis Khan of Mongolia

Of course, this results in a horribly crowded Europe and a practically empty Middle East. I think a few changes might be in order (at the very least maybe getting rid of Willem and/or one of the Iberian Civs). At least Germany and Rome won't be in there cluttering things up. I can see Saladin or Suleiman becoming quite a beast with this setup. Any ideas?

Hmm, with India pushed in with Khmer, could we see Asoka in Persia?

Hmm...hard...pick, one the one hand, lots of civs usually is fun, much conflics, but it ends up with some big guys vassalising everyone, making almost every game the same, just as every earth map game does ;) your last game was more fun, a HUGE rome, a strong china (although that is no suprise), i think having one or 2 civs with a strong starting position improves the fun, will be a walkover later on else...

Another sidenote: it would be fun to have a fairly isolated start, where REXing is in order instead of rushing, almost every game you had a big headstart by immediatelly taking over 1 or 2 civs...maybe playing peter of russia would be fun, with lots of space to settle?
suggestion:

The Americas
fine as you said it...tends to be a non-factor regardless of who's put into it, doesnt influences the game unless you're on there yourself ;)

Africa
fine as well...mansa and zara are both strong players, i think especially zara could end up really strong if he can settle all of africa, especially if egypte is left out...

Europe
Elizabeth of England
Louis XIV of France
Joao II of Portugal
Peter of Russia
Ragnar of the Vikings

Asia and middle east are fine =)

removed some to improve space for the other ones...a strong ottoman empire would be fun as well, especially if you play russia ;) you're setup, or mine...i guess would result in a very strong zara, and saladin, unless suleiman can take over saladin fast, in my oppinion, he's usually the stronger leader..
european civs probably wont get very big, unless a warmonger can take a large portion of it pretty fast (im thinking...charlemange?)

I say remove the civs that took place in the ancient's round (after all they've had their turn).

Time to go back to Europe. If you want a game with the ancients, then I'd say playing as Boudica/Brennus would be a fun challenge. Race to the mainland before Rome takes it out, and then a Gallic Warrior/Praet battle.

If you want to move forward, maybe trying a game as Russia. You could even make it a bit more interesting by playing with aggressive AI. Should make for some fun with a very crowded Europe and Asia (especially if you keep all 8-10 in Europe and 5-6 in Asia). Then you as Peter, right in the middle.

I'm voting a Reverse Colonization of the Old World as Roosevelt. Do eet! Just think of it.. early Rexxing (and maybe some competition from the natives), then sailing across the ocean and colonizing Europe, and then the rest of the old world! >:p

The Americas
Montezuma of the Aztecs
Huayna Capac of the Inca
Pacal II of the Maya

Africa
Zara Yaqob of Ethiopia
Mansa Musa of Mali

Europe
Justinian I of Byzantium
Brennus of the Celts/Ireland
Willem van Orange of Denmark
Elizabeth of England
Louis XIV of France
Joao II of Portugal
Peter of Russia
Isabella of Spain
Ragnar of the Vikings

Middle East
Saladin of Arabia
Suleiman of the Ottomans

Asia
Qin Shi Huang of China
Asoka of India
Tokugawa of Japan
Wang Kon of Korea
Genghis Khan of Mongolia

Out of what you picked, all seems fine except Europe

Depending on what you want to call your medieval/Renaissance civs you should either remove HRE or France and others
If you are want to play a Strict medieval style (600-1000 AD) remove France, Possibly England, the Netherlands, and Portugal
If you want to play a Strict Renaissance(or more like High middle ages) Style(1000-1600) Remove HRE, Celts
If you want to play a TRUE Renaissance Style (1600-1800) your going to have to kick Justinian

Also how exactly are you going to balance out the Byzantines and Ottomans
Considering they basically switch around 1200, Medieval could include the Byzantines and High middle ages has ottomans

all of this is for historical accuracy, but limiting it down western Europe in the medieval ages to HRE could give a chance for him to actually shine, you will have a more balanced Europe, although izzy will still suffocate.

not to mention the more traditional European civs will shine in your next game(modern i assume)

I'd take probably three out of Europe (I hate that packed Europe), put in a middle eastern civ or two, possibly Egypt, and then put yourself in as an American leader and try it with Sitting Bull and Monty as your neighbors.

Having fewer civs in Europe should make it a little bit more dicey once you conquer the Americas.

Best of luck whatever you decide - I love this series.

With Spain already played, for a medival game I suggest England.

Make medieval and renaissance separate games please. They're too different eras.
My spin on this:
For a medieval game, I'm thinking...

The Americas
Montezuma of the Aztecs
Huayna Capac of the Inca
Pacal II of the Maya

Africa
Zara Yaqob of Ethiopia
Mansa Musa of Mali

Europe
Justinian I of Byzantium
Brennus of the Celts/Ireland Classical empire
Willem van Orange of Denmark Renaissance empire
Elizabeth of England
Louis XIV of France HRE ruled france.
Charlemagne of the Holy Roman Empire Put him somewhere near the alps.
Joao II of Portugal Renaissance empire.
Peter of Russia
Isabella of Spain HRE?
Ragnar of the Vikings

Middle East
Saladin of Arabia
Suleiman of the Ottomans Renaissance again

Asia
Qin Shi Huang of China
Asoka of India
Tokugawa of Japan
Wang Kon of Korea
Genghis Khan of Mongolia

This setup would result in a few giants: Saladin, Charlie, Ragnar, Justinian and someone in asia.

I'll follow the England suggestion. Perhaps you could make things interesting by trying to maintain a 'balance of power' in Europe...

Top Bottom