The Law of the Jungle

ooc: :lol: now that is amusing, a peasant managing to capture a citizen. I suppose I will have to escape from his custody in short order and put down this violation of the natural social order before people start thinking peasants have rights.

I overthrow Prinz von Persien to rid myself of the inconvenience of captivity [and to claim my captor as slave of House Chacultepec (ooc: if that is possible)].

Joatzli couldn't believe what he had just heard from an old tramp coming from the city.

He had just settled on that rough land when the tramp passed by, and told him that when Citizlan Ahuitzotl went searching for slaves, Prinz von Perzien captured him instead!

Joatzli couldn't avoid smiling for the rest of the day, thinking of the event. He felt slightly sorry for Ahuitzotl, but when he remembered the challenge, the smile became a grin of evil, as he thought in that poetic justice made upon Ahuitzotl for kicking him off their Land.

But he had some work to do, and when the sun was starting to fall, he toiled until night came.

ooc: Don't worry JoanK, it will be exceedingly difficult for Prince of Persia to keep me under captivity for long considering I have a 4 to 1 advantage when it comes to my current action to overthrow him. I suppose I could get another bad roll (I had the advantage when it came to capturing him) but such is life.

My one consolation is that while I may be a captive for now. I still own the gemfields and thus the tenants there still have to toil for me (Jeez if I accepted servitude it would be vicious toiling cycle of tenants toiling for me, who would then toil for a peasant, you can see how that violates the natural social order!)

Try again to assasinate my master.

After the mad dash through the woods, Tonauac decided a second set of orders was in...order?
"Heal on defence if wounded." That would prevent costly accidents.

ooc: It seems yahzuk's RNG still hates me.

On the plus side it no longer has a bizarre crush on Jehoshua.

ooc: What's the deadline for this session?

After the mad dash through the woods, Tonauac decided a second set of orders was in...order?
"Heal on defence if wounded." That would prevent costly accidents.

yahzuk: Will this order be carried out in conjunction with the previous 5-word order from the morning session, or will it replace it? The rules say that you can use both actions in conjunction to give a double-length order, but do all 10 words have to be given at the same time for it to work that way?

yahzuk: Will this order be carried out in conjunction with the previous 5-word order from the morning session, or will it replace it? The rules say that you can use both actions in conjunction to give a double-length order, but do all 10 words have to be given at the same time for it to work that way?

This will get added to the previous orders. The rules for this part were written before the council session was split into parts. Now that it is split, you really have to do it the way Caragus did.:goodjob:

I overthrow Prinz von Persien to rid myself of the inconvenience of captivity [and to claim my captor as slave of House Chacultepec (ooc: if that is possible)].

You can't achieve both with 1 action. You are attempting to overthrown him as ownership of a slave (which happens to be yourself). The slave attempting the overthrow is coincidental - anyone eligible to attack Prince could also try to overthrow his ownership of you. Prince is not at risk of becoming a slave through an overthrow or challenge - only at risk of losing ownership of J. as slave.

If you want to take P. as slave, you'd have to capture him. If successful, you would each be eachother's slaves which would be um... interesting but allowed. You'd each be able to give each other orders, disobey each other's orders, sacrifice each other (well, whoever is faster anyway).... could be fun, could be fun

Try again to assasinate my master.

As a tenant, you're still required to spend the afternoon toiling for your landowner.

Some commentary I've been meaning to get to regarding the relationship between citizens and tenants...

Citizens get to own land, usually the best land within a city (because why would they pick the worst land?)

Peasants may live on the citizen's land, becoming a tenant. The tenant then also gets to live on some of the best land, but in return they are required to spend the later half of the day toiling on behalf of the landowner (basically paying rent).

Also, the Citizen is obligated to protect his tenants. If anyone attacks a citizen's tenant, the citizen automatically joins the defense of the tenant. The citizen is therefore not allowed to attack his own tenant (because that goes against his obligation to protect the tenants). Therefore the only thing a citizen can do against a tenant is to evict them.

So the part in the attack result's rules...
If the resulting number is between 1 and 1.5, then the principal defender suffers the result of a successful attack.
If the resulting number is greater than 1.5, then all defenders suffer the result of a successful attack.

If someone successfully attacked a tenant, if the result is 1-1.5 only the tenant suffers the result of the attack but if greater than 1.5, both the tenant and citizen suffer the results. (ie - you could could capture 2 slaves at once by attacking a tenant and getting a high result).

So, me ranting again. Long story short....

Citizens and tenants have a symbiotic relationship.
Tenant gets.... access to better land, and protection of the citizen.
Landowners get.... free labor from tenants.

Change order. I toil.

Question: When we build settlers could a player go with them? And who controls where they go? You?

Yahzuk can correct me if I'm wrong on any of this, but when a Settler unit (or any unit) is created, the unit will be born with a Captain, who will be a brand new character belonging to the house of whoever was responsible for the unit getting finished (or given at yahzuk's discretion if no one was directly responsible for the build). That Captain will be able to give orders to the Settler, including where to settle.

If other characters would like to hitch a ride and be first on the ground in the new city, then they can Enlist in the unit just as they would a military unit.

Once the new city is built, the titles of Tlatoani and first Citizlan will given out randomly (weighted by Fame), chosen from only the characters in the Settler when the Build action is taken.

And I'd say that the Captain is consumed with the unit when building the city (if I got it right).

And I'd say that the Captain is consumed with the unit when building the city (if I got it right).

I'd actually speculate that that's NOT the case, as otherwise building a Settler is a bit of a raw deal for whoever finishes it. The Captain would probably become a resident of the new city (and therefore a candidate for Tlatoani/Citizlan).

But that one I'll defer to our GM on.

Settling a city, expending a Great Person, or using a work boat consumes the Captain of the unit.
Any other characters within the unit are treated as if the unit had disbanded.

It's stated quite clearly in post #11

@Yahzuk: I have a few questions regarding game rules...

1) How do members of the military gain gold? Is there a salary similar to the way that soldiers gain food?
2) What is the in-game difference between a "dishonorable" and "honorable" attack/challenge?
3) What happens to a slave if his/her owner enlists in a new unit? Is the slave effectively a member of that unit?
4) Do Captains have to give new orders every session? Or can a Captain just say "Explore and attack barbarians" and leave that order in place until a new order is given?
5) Do orders from ex-Captains remain in effect after the Captain is killed/overthrown/retires?

Top Bottom