The Law of the Jungle

News from the jungle was brought to me that the reappointed Citizlan Joatzli is close to discovering how to extract the shiny gems from the earth, and he also claims that the same tech can be used to quarry other minerals from the lands. I am good with that. Some news of the expedition also hint at finding certain metals that could then be used to replace our crude stone implements for utility and that we could improve our meager military with said implements. I will look into that and research bronze working, since that seems to benefit our people best.

OOC: I just have to tell you this .I am submitting a 100-page dissertation for my D. Sc. degree on Wednesday. I am "this close" to finishing the manuscript, but there are lots of minutiae to check and re-check. If you have been wondering why my messages have been on the short side, this is the reason; I have been working hard the last month to finish this long project of mine.

Captain Tonauac listened to Lieutenant Sparthage, but he already knew what his answer would be. "I'm sorry, Lieutenant Sparthage, but from all appearances we are unable to contact the city state (see update). We have learned much of the south, but the north remains unexplored. Our men are weary for home, and I would prefer to at least pass through our own lands again. Dismissed."
As Sparthage moved off, Tonauac again began his daily ritual of composing his orders. As he paced the camp, he sighted Ebzulotl of House Grey. The boy had only just joined the Jaguars, but he thought it might be good for the boy to be with his family again. Still, despite this mild weakness, he showed promise.
Tonauac called his warriors together, then gave his orders. "Return home. Avoid any conflict."
His orders were popular. The Jaguar warriors had been out a long time, and many were homesick. Tonauac watched them pack up, and prepare to go. He had his own plans for what to do once they got back to Aztlan.

OOC: I just have to tell you this .I am submitting a 100-page dissertation for my D. Sc. degree on Wednesday. I am "this close" to finishing the manuscript, but there are lots of minutiae to check and re-check. If you have been wondering why my messages have been on the short side, this is the reason; I have been working hard the last month to finish this long project of mine.

It is a good omen that this should happen during the Festival of Quetzalcoatl, God of Knowledge. Best of luck!

It is a good omen that this should happen during the Festival of Quetzalcoatl, God of Knowledge. Best of luck!

Thanks! It is appreciated.

Good luck, Ceskari.
May I ask your area of expertise?

Good luck, comrade. :p

Session 3 - Morning

OOC Notes, for those who have been keeping track of the long versions:

--Character-age continuity is going to get a little screwy here. Obviously characters born first will stay older, but Eczulotl (the new daughter) will not be a full 13-14 years younger than Ebzu...more like she’s a teenager now and Ebzu is in his early 20s. I think we can suspend our disbelief a little for this.
--Eczulotl (Eczie) has a twin brother! Surprise! We won’t really talk about him here, and he won’t take any actions of his own this turn because he was technically created by the Procreate action from this session...but again, we’ll ham-hand the story a bit to accommodate the rules.

Among the Yilfruit:

Eazulotl, in his silver Citizlan’s tunic, entered his house flanked by his pair of guards, sent from Tenochtitlan so long ago. He dismissed them out the door hastily.

“She’s gone.” Eazu was distraught. “She says she’ll never come back.”

Matlan sat by the open window of their large two-room hut, watching the light just start to peek over the horizon. “You could have stopped her, Eazu,” she said.

“What do you mean? Her mind was made up. I tried to stop her.”

“You are aging, Eazu, but still strong, and your guard is always by your side. You three together could have subdued and stopped a teenage girl and her young paramour.”

“Matlan, you can’t be serious. To do that to my own daughter would have been barbaric. I have always espoused that might need not rule in our lands, and that we can live in peace. I could hardly have turned on my word within my own family and...imprisoned Eczie like that.”

“Exactly.” Matlan turned from the window. Eazu could tell she had been crying, and she had not slept all night. “She told me of her plans days ago. I tried to talk her out of it as well...and I lost my temper when she refused, just as you did. I knew you might move to stop her if you had time to brood, so I didn’t tell you.”

“Matlan...why? If I knew, I could have protected her...given her supplies...trained her for survival...”

“And she would have rejected those lessons, just as she has everything from us. She is her own person now, and this is her decision.”

“This all started with that boy, Shazlan. I should have kept them apart. I knew this would happen!”

Matlan only laughed. “Eazu, if you think that is true then old age has taken you too soon, and your memory is truly gone. You, nor I, nor the gods could have kept Eczie from Shazlan once they chose each other. And you’ve known them both since they were born -- Eczie is in charge between them, and you know it.”

Eazu said nothing.

“And I know why that upsets you, Eazu,” Matlan continued, resting her head on his shoulder as they both started out to the sunrise in the east. “It means your daughter, of her own accord, has chosen against you. You feel you must have taught her nothing, if it means she disapproves of living in your house.”

“Of course, Matlan. It tears me in two.”

“But you are wrong, Eazu. She leaves not because we have failed in raising her, but because we have succeeded. She is her own woman, willing to make her own choices, and who yearns for the independence to do so. Did you and I not do the same, at her age? In that way, she is nothing if not our child.”

“But this forest to the east that she settles with Shazlan...it will be ruled by chaos. How will she be protected? Here among the yilfruit, at least we could watch over her.”

“There is no Citizlan there now, yes. But someday there will be. Order is spreading across Aztlan like grass on a field in the spring. Perhaps one day she will be greater than you or I. And that would never happen if we kept her here.”

Eazu smiled, and put his arm around his wife. “As always, you are right. But I worry.”

“You do worry, as you always do. But your worries only mean you consider all that may happen, the good and the bad. But remember that thus far, good, happiness, and peace have prevailed. At least some of it may just be because of what you have done here. Serve as such a model, and Eczie may yet return. Edd still stays here with us, a model of an obedient child. We must leave our children to be who they will be...this has been the plan of the gods ever since Eczie and Edd were born. Ever since they were children, Eczie ranges and Edd stays cautious.”

For the first time, Eazu seriously considered Eczie’s return. He thought of her running back to their family’s hut, apologizing for running away, promising to never leave again. And then he imagined his thoughts if that happened: he would imagine the new, exciting life she would have forsaken. All of the wonderful dreams she had would collapse. And he would regret stopping her.

Eazu sighed as the sun cleared the horizon. He could not see her, but he knew that somewhere in that eastern jungle, Eczie was journeying and living with the man she had chosen to love, just as Eazu had with Matlan long before Eczie was born.

May you return as more than you are, Eczulotl, he thought. And may the gods smile on your way.

---

Among the Jaguars:

The past years with the scouting party had been educational, but not in the way Ebzu had predicted.

Despite endless training and posturing between the warriors, their battles had numbered exactly zero. Much of their journey had become a tour of the Spanish countryside, learning their language and meeting their people, some of whom were friendlier than others. At one point, a village of Spanish peasants showed the Aztecs some ancient ruins near their lands which the Spanish worshipped as holy. Of course, the jaguars all agreed that whatever the Spanish held as holy must be dirt in the eyes of the gods, so they ransacked the ruins that night.

Inside, the warriors found a quarry of clay, along with abandoned tools for molding and cooking the clay to make hard, water-tight pottery. Soon, the jaguars tried this process themselves, and they used the resulting pots for water and food storage in their travels.

This discovery of technology turned the party of warriors into something of a band of amateur philosophers. Plenty of wrestling and weapons-training still took place, but during long walks through the southern grasslands and over fires at night, conversation among a select group of the jaguars would turn to creativity, science, and the laws of the universe. Ebzu was in this band of new thinkers. In the time between the discovery of the ruins and the jaguars’ reaching the eastern sea, two developments of note to arose from this conversation.

First, Ebzu arranged with Lieutenant Sparthage and Captain Tonauac that an exchange would be made between their houses when they returned to Tenochtitlan: yilfruit from the coffers of House Grey for the gold found on the team’s long journey. The yilfruit would be traded at a better price than Sparthage and Tonauac could have hired hands to pick it, and so all were satisfied with the deal.

Second, a vigorous debate was launched on the efficiency and design of weaponry. Various new weapons were mooted and put together, but most were too weak, too heavy, or too unbalanced to unseat the popular clubs, axes, and spears that the jaguars took to battle. But one, whose design was suggested by Ebzu, showed promise: a straight stick, sharpened at one end, had bird feathers tied to its unsharpened end in an aerodynamic pattern. This allowed the projectile, much smaller and lighter than a throwing spear, to fly true with a sufficiently trained hand. The primitive dart itself was impractical, but Ebzu saw in it much potential.

After camping for one night on the sea, the order was given to head home. This particular journey may not have garnered what his father expected, but Ebzu looked forward to the reunion.

So...

Eazulotl will (retroactively) procreate, giving rise to Edzulotl, or just Edd.
Ebzulotl will research Archery.
Eczulotl will move to hex 1-E (the middle forest).

Well, toiling does it for me as I previously said.

Anyways, may Quetzalcoatl bless thee in thy scholarly endeavour Ceskari, and grant that the dissertation is accurate and well recieved ;)

Both of the Ahui saw that toiling was needed.

Hold up -- Shazlan isn't running away with Eczie after all? I thought you loved me! ;)

(If you don't get a chance to change your action before the session gets closed, then I guess I'll have to start a life with some NPC instead! Hmph!)

Afternoon of the Third Council of Aztlan
The Morning session.
This morning's events:

1. Tlatoani Cuautlequetzqui (Ceskari) Research Bronze Working
  2. Soldier Sparthage (Sparthage) Train Wisdom to Level 4
  3. Citizen Eazulotl (GreyWithAnE) Procreate
  4. Peasant Tlaloc (swimandciv) none
  5. Peasant Prinz von Perzien (Princeof Persia) Toil
  6. Citizen Joatzli (JoanK) Research Mining
  7. Citizen Noctusuma (filli noctus) Train Fame to Level 2
  8. Peasant Shazlan (Tambien) Toil
  9. Peasant Christos (Christos200) none
  10. Peasant Chicona (Tambien) Toil
  11. Soldier Ebzulotl (GreyWithAnE) Research Archery
  12. Peasant Ipalnemoani (Jehoshua) Toil
  13. Peasant Tenoch (CivOasis) Toil
  14. Peasant Eczulotl (GreyWithAnE) Move to Tenochtitlan 1-E
  15. Peasant Matlal (dot80) Toil
  16. Soldier Tonauac (Caragus) Order 1st Company Jaguar Warriors "Return home. Avoid Any conflict."
  17. Peasant Mixtli (SmugKitteh) none
Spoiler :

The afternoon session of the third council shall be open until Thursday 8 December 22:00 GMT-5. Each character (except the newborn children) may perform 1 action.

As a tenant I am forced to toil

Noctusuma, mining is 1 turn away and I have researched it, so probably your action will be void but well, it's your choice.

Joatzli, despite having regained his position of citizlan, wasn't yet ready to leave for more prosperous lands or where tenants could toil for him, so he went back to the fields and toiled to dusk.

Toil. Also i say my boss that its realy boring to toil all the day.

Noctusuma, mining is 1 turn away and I have researched it, so probably your action will be void but well, it's your choice.

Joatzli, despite having regained his position of citizlan, wasn't yet ready to leave for more prosperous lands or where tenants could toil for him, so he went back to the fields and toiled to dusk.

Is it? Edited.

Well actually he isn't giving you any orders, so your only toiling for yourself over there. If you have enough food and money to survive might I suggest cultivating your stats long term, and waiting until he either starves to death, or until your sufficiently advanced statistically to free yourself.

Top Bottom