The Momus Strategy

Kolath

Eternal Lurker
In order to keep the feedback thread clean, here is a thread to discuss strategies for winning the Momus scenario.

When you write strategies, be sure to list your difficulty level and game speed options.

Important! Use the spoiler tag to discuss specific story choices, ending text, etc.

Just build alot in the beginning and research OO and whoops you have a stack with boarding parties, saverous, hemah, guybrush, cats and some cultists. Then you wait until perp lets you declare war at the hippus and they fall

Anyone have suggestions for initial city placement and what to use the supply unit for?

In my game so far I settled my capital just north of the starting location (right above the desert copper hill) and settled my second city down by the pearls and gold to the southeast.

I used the supply unit to grab a library my plan was then to rush for OO but I think I wasted too much time exploring before settling and Perpentech beat me to founding Octopus Overlords so I instead beelined for Honor to get radiant guard's ability to stun enemies.

I think I will restart and beeline OO earlier because that seems to be a good strategy for warmongering this scenario.

Supply unit for training yard or archery range and settle at water for gods sake, this is lanun were talking about, get fishing boats out and you have pirate ports and fish making you survive in desert, build herons throne in capital (where you spawn) and you have an awesome city, hopefully you have copper or iron in the fat cross too

perp founded OO on turn 3 or 4 in this scenario, at least in my game, i think he start with it. Be careful of production in the early game, i kept getting dogpiled because i wasn't capable of producing enough troops

Thanks, Love. I had never played Lanun before this since Fire so that's helpful advice. I didn't realize that you could do coves in the desert

Well...it seems quite difficult, but a couple points:

1...set to use food to produce units, plus the coves, the first two cities founded on the sandy beach can crank out units like i've never seen!
2...hard to know just where you should be at a certain point, but I seem to keep up near top with pts...have 5 cities...
3...seem unable to crack any opponent cities tho...boarding parties die if hurled at archers or anything, seem to die as well when attacked even by axes...but will keep at it...

I actually founded OO before Perpentach could in my first game, thanks to a disciple from a lair.

But cities built by the coast have a crippled production? I only built one there as my fourth city, and then it took something like 150-200 turns before I could get Heron's Throne built and the city actually producing anything.

One thing is, when Perpentach tells you to go wage war against an enemy on the other side of the map, don't participate. You'll want to spend this time building up your troops and infrastructure, and preparing a big invasion army. Then, when Perp declares everybody to fight everybody/everybody to fight you/everybody to fight a close neighbor of yours, the army you've kept waiting can just cross a neighbor's border and take a city or two.

I like to get CoE early, and build small stacks to send to the far away civs. This means I can harass them at a second's notice, and possibly take an unsuspecting capital.

My winning strategy involved going for Runes of Kilmorph. There are enough hills in that scenario that dwarves are a huge advantage, not to mention the buffs from Bambur and the Stonewardens. Then there's the Mines of Gal-Dur - it should get you iron weapons ahead of everyone else. Once I had the mines I bee-lined sorcery and then built a fire node. The rest of the game was tedious, but an assured victory.

I did discover that if you're in another player's territory and war is declared you get to stay there. If I was busy with genocide when peace broke out, I put that stack on sentry right next to a city and waited for the next opportunity.

Really this map depends on just damn good luck. I went for the OO strat and got some cultists up to support Swordsmen and soon Boarding Parties. Tsunami is a near godlike ability in this map, since there are small one tile lakes everywhere. If your lucky enough to have free for all, all against you (all though you might be busy trying to survive), or all against Hippus, you should rush Hippus, before they can start up their super stacks.

Right next to the Hippus is the Infernals. Infernals can get insanely strong, they had Pass Through the Nether and The Nexus up, had Rangers, etc, about 150 turns in. If you have Saverous and Guywood up however, it should be doable, and having Hemah only really seals the deal. After that it should be just a long, boring, grind around the map. Infernals and Hippus are the only really problems, the rest are just annoyances.

All you need for the first 150 turns are a giant stack of swordsmen and catapults to steamroll hippus and infernals.

Needless to say I dropped my difficulty to noble, its still incredibly boring.

CoE is very powerful in this scenario, being able to "ignore" perp's directions and weaken neighbours with assassins/shadows while keeping a minor force at his borders waiting for perp to pick on him or simply call for a FFA.

Often perp changes his mind rather fast such that you aren't really able to cart a large sieging force over quickly enough since you need to leave a substantial force behind for defense, so with shadows already picking apart defences it becomes really easy to destroy your targets once perp gives the green light. :lol:

I haven't finished this scenario yet. The first run through I got killed, but the second time I went straight for Empyrean (I researched Trade, way of the wise, then honor) and used Radiant Guards to freeze the AI's invading stacks with blinding light.
Then I researched Religious Law and built Chalid, who as per usual destroys everything in sight. Now I'm combing the map with a stack of 4 rangers, 4 rathas, 4 assassins, and Chalid. I keep building rangers in my first 2 cities and use those to garrison captured cities. I'm pretty sure it's all downhill from here as the AI has no real counter to Chalid.

I built my first 2 cities inland, north of the coast. The first city was built on a hill to the left of that small lake and the second was built north of there, also on a hill, by a copper & gold deposit. I used the Supply cart to build an archery range in my capital. With Conquest + Apprenticeship the new archers could get guerilla I + city defender I which was enough to keep the AI from killing me in the early game. Since my food came mostly from lakes it didn't matter too much if they pillaged me; all I had to do was survive until Perp called off the all vs. me war.

Having every unit start mutated was driving me crazy at first, but a lot of my assassins and rathas got Blitz as a mutation, so I'm happy :p

New version is out in patch "b" should make the map smaller and more easily winnable.

This was a very easy scenario, although i only play on warlords (1 step below noble) but it was easy as hell.

The first city is founded on the beach on the right side, immediately above the 2 hills there, and the 2nd city is founded inland, where the small lake is, starting position go exactly north a few squares.

Then on both cities just mass archers and tech for boyers OR necromancy -> pump up adepts -> skeletons go for sorcery get Shadows, usually if you settle like this there are around 2-3 mana nodes around, one is above your starting location, one is above in the 3rd row above the first city you make and one of them is on a desert in the corner of the map to the east. (settle a city around there)

the point is, the 2nd city must be set on a hill terain (40% from archers bonus in addition to another 25% from natural hills) which will prove usefull when the bad guys come after you with catapults.

if you ahve around 10 archers/longbows in each city you should be fine.
afterwards just get adeps, go for mages, when you have 20 or so mages with necro II the thing that gives summoned units movements points + mobility + add 3-6 boyers for protection on the way and you can clean the map. It takes a while but it's easy.
go 2 squares from city, summon 20 shadows -> attk (shadows will have 5-6 atk if you had 2-3 death mana) -> raze city (rinse and repeat)

Top Bottom