The Momus Strategy

Now, I muight just be doing something wrong, but why cant you build the mercurain gate in this scenario? (although if it was to try and stik to the storyline then i would understand)

I'm pretty sure that 'compact enforced' is in effect; this means no Hyborem and no Basium. You can check under the game settings. Most of the scenarios have this feature.

Best wishes,

Breunor

Played on Prince difficulty with Patch g. I used The Order to deal with the Duke, but once I took care of the rest of the map I had a hard time dealing with the last civ -

Spoiler :
Perpentach

before time ran out. After my first failed attempt, I figured out a useful "cheat." Since you can't cause civs to declare war on you with spells in this scenario, I trained some adepts with scorch and sent them to my enemy's cities during a time of peace, transforming all plains to deserts. Only a few of his cities were built on plains, but the combat penalty I added to those cities made a huge difference in speeding up conquest and allowing me to sweep through his cities before the game ended.

Also amusing, I built Valin early but accidentally got him crazed at a dungeon. With all of his promotions, he had 5 movement per turn (plus commando) and could basically take out any enemy, so every once in a while I'd get a message between turns that he'd killed somebody. After some searching, I'd find him in some random part of the map, confused and slightly hurt, and send him back to one of my cities to heal. It was like he went on a drunken binge and couldn't remember what he'd done the previous night.

This was a fun scenario. Saverous, Hemah, a Mage, a Thane of Kilmorph, and a bunch of Swordsmen, Chariots, Drowned, and Horse Archers killed pretty much everyone. When
Spoiler :
Perpentach
killed Saverous at the Battle of
Spoiler :
Jubilee
, I went right ahead and razed the place to the ground, despite it holding quite a few wonders(the Theatre of Dreams, among others).

Long time CIV player giving this scenario a try. I had always ignored FfH up until now. I think I once tried that scenario that comes with BtS, didn't care for it, and never gave it another thought. Momus was my first real FfH game (did menagerie and then this). For some reason I thought it would be a good idea to try doing it on emperor :eek:.

Wanted to say this an absolutely fantastic map and scenario. If Momus had shipped with BtS I would have become a FfH-head many years ago :lol:. It is a sexy strategy map with threats everywhere and lots of juicy chokepoints. The random war mechanic is great. It doesn't feel unfair because there are lots of things you can do to prepare and make the best of it. It also gives you a chance to do some building/teching in a position that would otherwise call for nothing but war. I was finally able to beat the map on the third try by using some of the strats in this thread (mmm tsunami...).

But what I loved the most about this scenario was the flavor. It has the feeling of a classic pulp fantasy novel, like something by Glen Cook. You, the dashing Falamar, are shipwrecked at the edge of a desert. Now you are forced to fight to the death against eight other psychos by the mad Perpentach! Somehow, the power of the Lanun must transform the desert into a flourishing war engine to defeat the other civs. Your enemy's troops constantly outmatch your own. Unbeatable sea monsters patrol your coast. In the middle sits the Perpentach pushing his borders outwards as this crazy extermination goes on around him.

To the FfH creators however many years ago, you made a real classic with this one. This will stick in my mind as an example of what strategy gaming can be. :goodjob: :goodjob:

The other scenarios do not compare with this one in terms of tension and fun, especially when you just started playing the mod.

For some reason the Infernal Palace is given a ridiculously high power rating

My understanding is that the Infernals and Mercurians were given a lot of power for their count to try to make them more aggressive than the AI would behave if they had theri 'true' power.

Best wishes,

Bruenor

Top Bottom