The Momus Strategy

Having just completed The Momus, I must say that I'm surprised Falamar's traits were so handy during this scenario! They really contribute to making his coastal cities population be just a bit higher and Charismatic is a powerful warfare trait when plowing through so many enemies.

I'm in the middle of this one now, and it's been pretty fun so far. Decided to make founding the Order a priority, since I knew I wouldn't be the first to get either AV or OO, having played an earlier (patch 'a') game. Then I wasted too much time building the Black Wind and a fleet of strength 7 ships, thinking I'd be able to take out the pair of krakens (...utter failure). Also got beat trying to build Form of the Titan by a couple of turns. Didn't have a very strong army, except for a high-level Valin, who I sent off to attack whichever civ was currently being targeted by Perp.

Then Perp decided it'd be funny to have everyone attack ME. Next thing I knew, I went down from 3 moderately defended cities, down to 1, thanks to an unexpected blitz by the Infernals up north. I probably would have lost that last one, too, if I hadn't managed to rushed Valin back to my territory just in time. I then retook my two captured cities (which suddenly had planar gates!), rebuilt my army, and wiped out the Infernals. Thank god for high-level heroes!

Dear gods I forgot about Pirate Ports... :blush:

After a few games of being utterly outproduced by Sallos and being overrun.... I read this quote......

Wow! What a difference..... I had completely forgotten the power of the Lanun!! :p

I still went OO.... though I was the third to get it..... I was the only one who produced cultists to any use..... then promoted them to Speakers to run my own kraken around harassing ships

WooHoo! I got through it.... :crazyeye:

I had forgotten about the change for them, too. I wondered why my workers couldn't build them and figured they had been disabled for this scenario.

I also found every one but Perp, Captain Uldanor, Berri Bawl and me went AV, with Beeri going Order and Uldanor and Perp OO, and myself Empyrean. Chalid and Luridus were quite useful. I agree the Duke should be targeted first. I whent after him last, since I was casing Melisandra when Perp declared Frefor all for most of the remaning game, so i battled from East to west, with Guybrush leading the forces holding the Duke at Nimrail. By that point, most of the others were virtual non-factors. The Duke, however, made me glad I had teched as far as doing Blood of the Phonix, as his forces slagged Guybrush, Chalid, 3 Luridus and over a dozen Boarding parties.:eek:. He was throwing Balors at me about the same time I got Champions, and his Chapions were attaking me by the 60th turn:eek:. His Citeis were all over size 10, and he had 4-5 of them.
So I whent Mahon, Furia, Melisandra, Uldanor, Weavil-Pickel-and-Hyde, Tyra, Salos,
Spoiler :
Perpentach

I went for necromancy on monarch.
Ten mages with death 2, 2-3 with air 2 and one stonewarden worked quite well.

I won my third game with OO. I generally found that the Duke was the 'real' opponent and if I beat him the rest was easy.

In my first game I didn't know what I was doing. Knowing the general 'rules' about how the wars work and the like is really helpful.

In my second game the Duke founded the AV and got Rosier and I got blitzed off the board.

Fortunately, in my third game Rosier was built elsewhere. I went with OO mostly out of tradition. Its a hard choice. I felt I needed Saverous and can get him quickly. He is immune to a lot of the Infernals abilities.

I found a new respect for 'demon-slaying'. I rushed the techs to get it (after getting OO and mind stapling). Then, everyone got demon slaying or undead slaying, it helped somewhat hold off the overwhelming Infernal power. I used my initial supplies to build a library and built training yards and archery ranges in my first cities.

Given high tendency to pile onto the leader, I do think it is important to wait for the 'big offensive' when you are ready. I find the problem is that if you wait to get Saverous, Threepwood, Hemah and a few mages, the Infernals may already have won and be overwhelming.

I also became a fan of Lunatics. It looks like they don't turn barbarian in this scenario. Also, I like the Stygian Guards since they are also immune to many of the nasties in the game that the Infernals can throw at you.

Great fun!

Best wishes,

Breunor

Duke Sallus is an overkill. I find the Momus quite difficult only because of him. Production is not a problem because Lanun start in an area with a lot of Copper and usually some Marble. The problem is that Duke Sallus starts with AV holy city and Iron resource, which makes his Axemen incredibly powerful compared to your copper-armed Swordsmen.

I just finished all other scenarios and went back to the Momus. Duke Sallus destroyed the Amurites when everyone DoWed him, as usual. Contrary to the usual scenario, I managed to beat off his initial attack with minimal losses, but now Perp declared that everyone should fight everyone, and I don't think I can take it if Duke Sallus and the Calabim decide to gang up on me. I might be in for another restart :(

btw, is there any way to get rid of those Kraken in the central sea? They usually move on neutral territory, but they periodically go on a rampage and destroy all my sea improvements.

Try beelining for Octupus Overlords & Priesthood, then abuse tsunami to kill those krakens & Duke Sallus. The real problem I encountered with Sallus was when trying to crack his inland cities, the coastal were a piece of cake.

I also went OO and started annihilating everyone on the coast, but found it too hard to crack the inland cities, even with highly-promoted Stygians. I was making great progress among the Balseraphs on the southeast coast, but I couldn't do anything against the Duke's inland cities (and of course he kept getting manes as I slaughtered the various OO/AV Balseraphs).

So I decided to completely switch gears, swapped to AV before even starting the long slog down the arcane line, cranked some Ritualists, researched Infernal designs, upgraded my best badass Stygians to Eids, built Mardero to replace my lost Saverous, and Rusted and Flamed the Infernals to the point where my Eids walked over them. It's really too powerful that Stygians don't abandon you when you switch religions.

Finished, very cool scenario, but fustrating. Everyone getting mutated is a pain in the butt - I dont know how many of my units ended up enraged. Sigh :( When Gibbon ended up enraged (noooo!), I cheated in WB on every unit that did after that.

The stooges and Gibbon Goetia and mages won it for me (Perp beat me to OO). Had death mana throughout, and wraiths/spectres kick butt (first time used them)! Also founding the Guild of Nine was exceptional on defense. Stooges, 2 mages, nightwatch went north. Gibbon, 2 mages, nightwatch, and boarding parties went south. They linked up in Hippus turf in the end... (most random wars were against me or freeforall). I eliminated the infernals first (they knocked out the amurites).

Seem to have some sort of bug. When I destroy a civ and they say their goodbyes I get a coding message instead like TXT_DEFEAT_ETC.. I could deal with that and played on but then near the end you get a choice, and I get this code for the two choices. By picking them I can see what the outcomes are, but I have no idea what the two choices actually are, and therefore not sure which one I'd rather pick. Anyone else have this problem, any way to fix it?

You probably did not applied the patches. Go one level up in the forum and in the first post of the bug thread is a list and link to the actual patch.

This will fix the dead messages and the choice is probably when you are the last player with Beri and it is about an alliance against Perpentiach.

Yes, I'm sure that's it, could post a link to the patch, I looked for it but cannot find it.

The one game I did win I was cursed with a no Mithril, no Gems, no Reagents map :( I had gone RoK and was counting on Earthquake to help with taking out city defenders.

After reading your post I regenerated the scenario several times and none of the maps had mithril, gems, reagents or others as wine, gold, wheat. Also rice or pigs only appeared on half the maps. Is that normal? :(

I'm using latest patch.

At monarch, I really enjoyed this scenario.

I went OO and made a super-capital with the Tower of infinite population and all the +xp stuff I could. Pirate coves and tsunamis are crazy powerful, as usual, and since the map wasn't too big I had my first conquest domination ever :p

For me too, the only real opponent was the Duke, who I tried to take out first because killing all those evil guys only made him stronger.

I find that Duke Sallos is the only real opponent in this scenario. The Krakens just annoy me. I play on Prince difficulty, how do you bypass the krakens (cos bein the lanun you want naval domination) ? iI agree to go for OO, get cultists and just obliterate with tsunami. For an early defence, just build up stacks of archers.:crazyeye:

I play on Prince difficulty, how do you bypass the krakens (cos bein the lanun you want naval domination) ? iI agree to go for OO, get cultists and just obliterate with tsunami.

You've already answered how to rid yourself of the Kraken menace....

Now, I muight just be doing something wrong, but why cant you build the mercurain gate in this scenario? (although if it was to try and stik to the storyline then i would understand)

Top Bottom