The Origin of Life

Tycoon101

Loves being STRONG
In this thread, there is an option to say that you believe that there is intelligent life on other planets. I, personally, believe that is true.

However, the question must be asked: Where did life all start?

Intelligent Design is going to come up, of course, but what is the general thought about the start of bacteria and such? If the universe has permanently existed, then where did these life forms come from? Or, how did life stem from the Big Bang? Or another other Philosophical ideas that you have.

No religious debates, though; this is a *Protoscience/Philosophical question, not a religious one.

*Thanks Bill3000

atom---->chemical----->complex chemical chain----> enzimes---->single cells-------> multi celled organism-----> complex multy organed life forms.

I'm sure I left out a few links in that chain.

Well after the big bang H and He weere fused into a variety of heavier elements in large stars these elements then formed planets some of which in turn produced organic molecules on ones where conditions were just right it formed into the first RNA/DNA tytpe of things at which point evolution takes over and steers this life into better suited, and often more complex, organisms. Eventualy intelligent life might show up depending on the conditions.

This is a religious question. You can only get answers from Atheists then.

I will accept Intelligent Design and Creationism as scientific, THIS TIME ONLY ;)

What I don't want is a fight about the existance of a god, that's all.

We can't even begin to know from a purely rational standpoint, but I'll trust God's word that the Big Bang was originally the effect of his divine willpower.

This is a religious question. You can only get answers from Atheists then.

No, you don't have to be an Atheist to believe in reality. Are you familiar with Steven Jay Gould's "Non conflicting spheres of influence" argument?

We can't even begin to know from a purely rational standpoint, but I'll trust God's word that the Big Bang was originally the effect of his divine willpower.

Yes we can.

And where does god talk about the BB being the effect of his divine willpower?

I will accept Intelligent Design and Creationism as scientific, THIS TIME ONLY ;)

What I don't want is a fight about the existance of a god, that's all.

I'm not sure EXACTLY what Intelligent design amounts to, but this is my interpretation of the beginnings of the world, and life.

God created the laws of the universe. He created these laws so that certain things WOULD happen; not could, but would. The solar system formed, the Earth formed, and thus life formed. It all happenned by way of the science that we understand, however, I believe this is known as abiogenesis. However, we are still created by God, because He was the one who defined the laws of the universe, the laws that caused certain chemical reactions to be possible, and for physics to work the way that it does, which eventually allowed us, and all life, to come to be.

You see, science is the instrument with which God creates and controls the universe.

So, I believe that, while we came about in a biological, scientific manner, it was by the masterful hand of the Creator that this was even possible.

Does that adequately address your question, given the parameters?

I'm not sure EXACTLY what Intelligent design amounts to, but this is my interpretation of the beginnings of the world, and life.

God created the laws of the universe. He created these laws so that certain things WOULD happen; not could, but would. The solar system formed, the Earth formed, and thus life formed. It all happenned by way of the science that we understand, however, I believe this is known as abiogenesis. However, we are still created by God, because He was the one who defined the laws of the universe, the laws that caused certain chemical reactions to be possible, and for physics to work the way that it does, which eventually allowed us, and all life, to come to be.

You see, science is the instrument with which God creates and controls the universe.

So, I believe that, while we came about in a biological, scientific manner, it was by the masterful hand of the Creator that this was even possible.

Does that adequately address your question, given the parameters?

Yes, as long as you don't turn this into anything more than it is, that is a fine argument.

And where does God talk about the BB being the effect of his divine willpower?

Why would He have to? Knowledge of the Big Bang will not help anyone become more like Him necessarily.

At any rate, abiogenesis is no less compatible with my faith than evolution by natural selection or cosmic expansion.

I'm curios Abiogenesis and the fact that the laws of physics are such as to make life possible are often used as proof that god had a hand in specicaly making the Universe for us, but is'nt allowing for infinite Universas all with differant random laws of physics also easily solve the same problem?

Where did life start?

From when molecules can self replicate without a host. And have genetic traits that they can pass down.

Exactly what, I don't know, but it was most likely abiogenesis that started life. (viruses put themselves togeather inside cells without using a cell's enzymes)

Yes we can.

Maybe that was a slight exaggeration on my part, but you really can't know what happened "in the beginning" because there is little observable evidence to speak for it.

skadistic said:
And where does god talk about the BB being the effect of his divine willpower?

God said, "Let there be light" and there was. Nothing was there but God, and the universe was spawned from nothing. Ex nihilo.

I'm curios Abiogenesis and the fact that the laws of physics are such as to make life possible are often used as proof that god had a hand in specicaly making the Universe for us, but is'nt allowing for infinite Universas all with differant random laws of physics also easily solve the same problem?

But where did all the other universes come from?

without the possibility of comprehending where the beginning was... how can we answer this?

Where did God come from?

If God can exist without a cause, why can't the Universe?

Universe = God ?

I don't think many Christians would support that...

And BTW, your post is apparently edited before you posted it. :p

Top Bottom