The questions-not-worth-their-own-thread question thread IX

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend has a stone that weights about 520 g with volume of about 0.48 dl (And thus it's density is about 11 g/cm^3). It's dark-greyish and glitters little, like it would be painted with silver paint. Two of similar stones spark when hit together. It's somehow useful, as it was part of ship's cargo once. It's origins are in Northern Europe. Does anyone have hunch what it could be, or where to find out?

My friend has a stone that weights about 520 g with volume of about 0.48 dl (And thus it's density is about 11 g/cm^3). It's dark-greyish and glitters little, like it would be painted with silver paint. Two of similar stones spark when hit together. It's somehow useful, as it was part of ship's cargo once. It's origins are in Northern Europe. Does anyone have hunch what it could be, or where to find out?
Could it be flint?

Also, are you sure it was part of cargo rather than just ballast?

hmm, that a very high density for a stone, It's about the density of lead!

sound from desciption that it could be Iron pyrites (iron sulphide) or fools gold! (it should have a 'cubic' appearence to it?)

Well it doesn't have as cubic appearance as pictures here at least. It indeed is very heavy, and that's what made me interested. Uranium crossed mind...

Here's a picture with a matchbox:

]
Also, are you sure it was part of cargo rather than just ballast?

It's from the 90s, so it doesn't sound very probable ;)

My friend was working on the ship, and they had bucketful of rocks from previous cargo. They had just kept it for some odd reason. The ship had been in Poland at least before that, and the cargo was probably headed to Finland.

I still think it looks like iron pyrites. It may just be composed of small crystal or in some 'massive' form. have you got a eyeglass or a loupe to look at it close up and see if its structure is cubic.

I don't, but I'll ask if my friend has. The stone feels quite smooth, and that puzzles me too: if it was iron ore or something like that, you'd suppose it hasn't eroded very much. On the other hand, why ship ore to another country, wouldn't it be more efficient to process it first?

I suppose magnets can't be used to test this?

If both of you think so, I believe you! Thanks! :goodjob:

Shame it wasn't uranium though, I could use some super powers... :(

Dumb question: What does GOP stand for? I googled it and got "Gross Operating Profit" which I'm sure isn't right...

EDIT: I also got something about a "neolithic mound" in Wales. Weird.

Oh, I found it now.

Is there a general consensus among philophers or other experts as to whether or not art is entirely subjetive? Does art contain objective qualities? And do we seperate pure aesthetic/emotional qualities from qualities that may be easier to measure, such as moral or political influence? If so, can something be enjoyable but not good art?

Thanks!

Edit: Is there any good reading material online regarding this?

Is there a general consensus among philophers or other experts as to whether or not art is entirely subjetive? Does art contain objective qualities? And do we seperate pure aesthetic/emotional qualities from qualities that may be easier to measure, such as moral or political influence? If so, can something be enjoyable but not good art?

Thanks!

Long time no see GEFM! Put your life back together?

Long time no see GEFM! Put your life back together?

To put a long story short; yes. While there are still areas of frustration, my general attitude towards life and the world is very positive.

I figured I'd work myself back into these forums slowly, since the intellectual ability of a lot of people here greatly outpaces my own, and my reputation was that of a weak spammer (I'm well beyond that phase now). :lol:

Why are they called "Tea Parties"? I don't see anyone drinking tea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom