The questions-not-worth-their-own-thread question thread XII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question about the DMCA. I know in the US youre not allowed to circumvent DRM. Suppose Mexico has no similar laws (I dont know if it does or not), and you take your laptop and a DRM'd DVD over to Mexico and rip it there. Then you come back to the U.S. Does the law cover the actual process of circumventing or simply having the circumvented media in posession?

Just wondering.

Red tags Moderator Action: You've been bad.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889 come with and without the rules link.

Green or Blue are typically a "nudge" in the right direction and the color used used is at the mod discretion.
Moderator Action: Please stay on topic.
Moderator Action: Let's keep things civil.

Is there a mod2 tag? Id try it but I might get in trouble.

You would. It is just like the red above but without the rules link.

Moderator Action: Stop Now!!

Question: Suppose Person A tells Person B that if Person B ever hit him again, he would call the police. Then Person B hits person A in the leg. There are no witnesses and there are no bruises left behind. What should person A do, could they successfully get a charge for assult?

Call the cops. Do it every time. Eventually they may do something about it.

Question: Suppose Person A tells Person B that if Person B ever hit him again, he would call the police. Then Person B hits person A in the leg. There are no witnesses and there are no bruises left behind. What should person A do, could they successfully get a charge for assult?

Without a witness or evidence, it's pretty pointless to call the police. You could do it everytime, and "B" might eventually figure it out, but more than likely not. Get evidence, or a witness. Otherwise you have no case.

OK, thanks.

Heres a strange question. This is an actual conversation on a message board. They were talking about a website going back up and they werent sure if the original owner or someone else was putting it back up. Also on my first post I was a little confused.

Spoiler :

Person 1 said:
<another member>, <original site owner> IS NOT BACK! <other person> has taken over the name....

Me said:
Its on the same domain. Its possible to spoof a domain name but I think it requires configuring Apache (thats an HTTP server I think) with virtual hosts and stuff and even Im not sure how to do that.

Person 1 said:
Ok if he hasn't purchased the domain name then <original site owner> is working on it and <other person> is being an A-hole....This needs further investigation!

Me said:
I cant say who owns the domain as the whois is under a proxy service. However, I wouldnt worry about that as tons of people use proxy services. Fairly sure that its the same person though.

Person 1 said:
Aimee, I know what a proxy server is and don't you think I've already done a WhoWho at Network Solutions....sheesh!

Me said:
I didnt even explain what a proxy server was, I just said that the domain holder was using one.

Person 2 said:
sorry <person 1>, you must have forgotten Aimee thinks she knows everything about anything computer related. That's why she's such a ringing success in life. It's just a matter of her choosing which high-paying job offer to accept.

What the heck happened here? :confused:

Urgh, I meant Berlin, more specifically.
Ah, that happens to be the only large city in Germany I've never been to. :/ I'm afraid I can't give any first hand advice, but everyone I know tells me it's swarming with culture, (including lots of artistic stuff and fun stuff).

In Germany in general I would recommend getting to know the people in a more intimate manner, if possible, rather than going to some really big events. The huge majority of Germans I met are extremely nice and friendly people, who will talk and drink a beer with anyone, and are fairly good at English, although they don't really trust their knowledge and therefore might need a bit of encouraging.

So, long story short - better go to a bar or a small-scale concert with anyone you happen to know and spend a day meeting people and walking through town with a beer in your hand (that's legal in Germany), rather than going to some stadium to watch a football match. Not that I would know of you planning to do any of those, it's just an example of the two extremes I mentioned above.

And make sure to take lots of pictures and upload them to the Internet! :D Do let me know if you find any must-see/visit place - who knows when I might end up there myself. :D

Question: I was just in the living room for a few minutes. The same commercial was looping over and over again then the TV show came back on. What the heck is up with that?

Smash the screen with a hammer.

That'll fix it.

Spoiler :
this is a joke btw ;)

Do EMPs have biological effects, acute or chronic?

How do I make sure I don't "accept" the fact of a person or pet passing away too soon? (i.e., thinking they could die any day, and giving up on them even though they still got a very long time to live, and neglecting to spend time with them)

Thanks for the suggestions, Mirc, although I wasn't planning on going to any big event if not simply for the fact that they tend to make my ears hurt and I don't want to make my hearing any worse than it currently is. Also I'm a bit too timid to randomly talk to strangers, especially when English is not their native language. Still up for suggestions for what to see, though. Any Germans around here for suggestions?

Is the 3DS supposed to be a new system in the same way the Game Boy Color was, or is it the same thing as the old DS like the Game Boy Pocket was to the original Game Boy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom