The Touhou Mod Development Thread

Yet before I get into designing stuff myself, I'll see if I can't get some of Touhou Epic's assets converted some way or another into Civ V. For now, I'm attempting to borrow a couple of fairies (I hope you folks don't mind, though this is more of a test then anything else as the Civ I'm designing doesn't use faeries) and trying to rig them to either the Gatling Gun itself (if I can figure out how to add a GG to the model) or an Archer unit for Cirno's Spring Herald. Yeah, it's not perfect, but I sadly know not how to actually get the animations themselves through, so it'll be a placeholder until someone more knowledgeable in the field gets a crack at it. Besides, there's something inherently funny with faeries manning a Gatling Gun :lameexcuse:.

What, you mean like this picture? :p

I'd love to see some of the various fairy models converted, but I know the subject of Touhou Epic's models came up before... I'd have to look back and see what we discussed, but I imagine they'd be okay to use as long as we gave acknowledgement of the source?

Saw some talk about Hakugyokurou in here. Mine's still in the making, but close to completion. The artist who helped me with Remilia agreed to help out again, and all I have to do myself is writing the war theme.

I can't really give an estimate for when it's all finished, but work is certainly being done. :p

Saw some talk about Hakugyokurou in here. Mine's still in the making, but close to completion. The artist who helped me with Remilia agreed to help out again, and all I have to do myself is writing the war theme.

I can't really give an estimate for when it's all finished, but work is certainly being done. :p

Yaaaaay!

After getting some feedback on the Human Village mod, it's just about ready to go up on Steam. I've got the Moriya Shrine up to the testing phase, as everything seems to be working at this point. I just need to tidy up the text and make an icon for the Yamato Swordsman.

I've also started putting together the code for the Makai and tanuki civs... being pretty productive over the holidays. :p

A Rika civ? God damn it, I am going to have to give back her Flower Tank unit and find something else for Yuuka, aren't I?

Actually, I was considering using the Shrine Tank for her tank UU before I even saw Yuuka, mainly because it makes more sense having her have a spamming unit (she does quite literally have an army in the game she appears in) as opposed to another Tiger/Panzer clone. Though, I think it might be funny if Rika comments on the fact that Yuuka is using her confiscated weaponry, if that can be done somehow.

Do you think that's for the best? I mean, I am worried about this, seriously; I figured it was okay to give Yuuka the Flower Tank because I thought nobody would make a Rika civ, but if you do, now it's going to be eyebrow-raising. It's like having Sweden's UU be the Hakkapeliita, but then also having Finland be its own separate civ.

Well, one of the problems with the Touhou civs is that it definitely gets difficult to think of UUs. (I suppose everyone could have different fairy types, but...) Given that Rika already has the Shrine Tank and Evil Eye Sigma, I don't think it's too much of a stretch to use the Flower Tank for Yuuka.

If you feel really bad about it, Huitzil, maybe use something like the Sunflower Fairy art I linked up above? I know you did the "Fairy Gatling Gun" for Cirno, but you could probably do a Fairy Anti-Tank Gun (or Fairy Artillery?) using the Sunflower Fairy?

HEY!

It's not a Fairy Gatling Gun, it's a Spring Herald. It uses the model of a Gatling Gun because I am both lazy, and I know nothing about modeling. But the concept isn't fairies manning a Gatling gun, it's fairies shouting "SPRING IS HERE!" and spraying danmaku every which way.

The Shrine Tank is just a midboss, and a midboss FOR the flower tank... I suppose if the shrine tank comes along after the Renaissance it can reinforce the idea that Yuuka's flower tank isn't the same and it's been reverse-engineered and isn't as advanced as one made by the engineering prodigy. That, or I could change her UU. There is one thing that could be a Yuuka UU, a take-off of Elly, giving her scythe-wielding gatekeepers. Maybe they have the Impi's ranged-before-melee ability? Problem there is, Gatekeepers conceptually want to be another defensive unit, which A: I just did with the Lunar Defense Force and B: I think the implacable offense of the Flower Tank pushes Yuuka in a good direction. So I'm really not sure.

I think the Shrine Tank vs Flower Tank thing is closer to Austria and Poland's Hussar Dilemma; Both are allegedly the same unit with similar roles, but are split into separate eras to prevent too much of a conflict when they do appear.

HEY!

It's not a Fairy Gatling Gun, it's a Spring Herald. It uses the model of a Gatling Gun because I am both lazy, and I know nothing about modeling. But the concept isn't fairies manning a Gatling gun, it's fairies shouting "SPRING IS HERE!" and spraying danmaku every which way.

The Shrine Tank is just a midboss, and a midboss FOR the flower tank... I suppose if the shrine tank comes along after the Renaissance it can reinforce the idea that Yuuka's flower tank isn't the same and it's been reverse-engineered and isn't as advanced as one made by the engineering prodigy. That, or I could change her UU. There is one thing that could be a Yuuka UU, a take-off of Elly, giving her scythe-wielding gatekeepers. Maybe they have the Impi's ranged-before-melee ability? Problem there is, Gatekeepers conceptually want to be another defensive unit, which A: I just did with the Lunar Defense Force and B: I think the implacable offense of the Flower Tank pushes Yuuka in a good direction. So I'm really not sure.

I couldn't remember what name you'd used for the Spring Herald. I know it was supposed to be based on Lily White, rather than a gatling gun... but as I noted above, the idea of fairies manning artillery amuses me. :p

That said... I think the idea of a Flower Tank is fine, although personally I'd still rather see it as a Landship replacement.

You could maybe do a Pikeman replacement for the Gatekeepers... but I'll probably do a pikeman replacement for the tanuki, and I still would rather see the Flower Tank. Or an artillery-manning Sunflower Fairy. :p

I think it would be funnier to add little wings to the gatling gunner model than to add gatling guns to a custom fairy model.

As practice, I just made a little mod that eliminates the increase in faith cost per era. It has now dawned on me that this would be a great component for a UA for a Moriya Shrine civ. I interpret the cost increase as people losing faith as science marches on and the world becomes less mysterious. But Sanae keeps the people's faith up with her the partially visible frilly bra strap, due to her detached sleeves. (What is up with detached sleeves? Reimu, Sanae, and I saw a drawing of Ky Kiske with those too, is this a thing in Japan?)

I know bouncy is working on a Moriya Shrine civ already, but Sanae is what comes to mind for me when I consider that ability. What with the schoolgirl+shrine maiden moe factor as a motivating force to fill the pews. Also, miracles, but mostly the moe. Anyone who is working on a religious civ feel free to use that idea.

My idea for the Moriya Theocracy was something along the lines of "Any religion you found gains an extra Founder Belief. Double [+50%?] incomes from Founder Beliefs and double religious pressure from trade routes" but I got no idea how to implement it. Bouncymischa came up with, if memory serves, +1 Faith from scientific and industrial buildings (Libraries, Workshops, and anything that has them as a prerequisite).

Basically there's two ways of going about it that I can see: an ability to emulate what Kanako gives her followers, or an ability to emulate/encourage how Kanako behaves. Bouncy's ability gives what Kanako gives, science and industrial development that encourage faith in their advanced god and also ensure that you don't choose between developing science/industry and developing your religion because developing science/industry IS developing your religion. Mine encouraged Kanako to act like Kanako, throwing everything into spreading her religion as a gigantic pyramid scheme of faith because she gets more than anyone else from ensuring people follow her religion.

I actually think they are both good ideas, and I'm kinda sad that, assuming it IS possible to do my proposed ability, there really isn't another group that would make sense to have that ability.

Currently, my Moriya Shrine civ has the following elements:

UA: Mountain of Faith - Mountains in your territory generate +1 Faith, Production, and Science. Shrines generate +1 Science and Production.
UB: Taisha - replaces the Temple. Generates +2 Science and Production as well as Faith.
UU: Yamato Swordsman - replaces the Swordsman. Requires no Iron to build, and gets +1 Combat Strength for every 3 Faith per turn you generate, to a maximum bonus of +6. Upgrades to a Musketman.

I'm pretty happy with the Yamato Swordsman -- I just need to figure out whether or not its unique promotion should carry over to future units. But it definitely encourages you to try and build faith, which is nice.

Given that I've got the assets done for the Taisha, I'd probably like to keep it as Kanako's unique building. Originally I'd planned to make it an Observatory replacement, but it just started to feel too clunky and random, dependent on whether or not your had mountains nearby. Usually I have, but I don't really like the idea of a UB being quite so swingy. I'm happier with it as a Temple replacement, if I can figure out proper bonuses for it.

In some ways, "Mountain of Faith" is a pretty iconic phrase associated with her (and one of her spellcards), so I figured it was best to use for her UA. So I wanted her to have some relationship with mountains (she is the Avatar of Mountains and Lakes), which lead to the faith/science/production bonus. However, since that by itself seemed kind of lacklustre and dependent on how mountainous the map was, I carried over the Shrine bonus from an earlier version of the UA. However, I'm up for changing it if better ideas come along. I do somewhat like the mountain bonus, though, as it does encourage you to build cities in different locations than you might otherwise do so.

It would still be interesting to see if there would be some way to actually encourage you to spread your religion around, but so far it seems like that really depends on religious beliefs, and those are difficult to work with. It's not particularly hard to add additional beliefs to religion if you're creating specific religions for a scenario, but there are no obvious triggers to use to detect if someone's founded a religion in the game. I'll have to keep looking and see if there's any way to use dummy buildings to gain some of these bonuses...

Magma_Dragoon: I'd be curious to see the code you came up with for that ability. At the very least, I'd like to get a better understanding of how some of the faith-related functions work, and it could be useful as the second part of my UA. My other uniques already encourage the player to build up a lot of faith, so having cheaper units and buildings to spend that faith on would be interesting, particularly as you'd then be encouraged to constantly send out waves of missionaries and all to spread your religion...

Oh it isn't an ability, it was just an update to eras setting faith cost multiplier to 1. But it got me thinking, that it would be a nice UA for a civ that has a religious focus.

Hmm... does that only affect that particular civ, though, or all of the civs in the game? I didn't think the cost multiplers were civ-dependent...

I think it's global, eras feels like a thing that would be global. But I haven't tested it yet and I'm not super familiar with the game db scheme, there could be an era table for each player.

Nope. Will probably require lua or dll modding, but I don't know enough to say for sure.

I think I see how to do this. I would need to

create a trait
create a new boolean column in traits called NoEraFaithCostIncrease, default false, make it true for the new trait

in CvCity.cpp change this

Code:
int iMultiplier = GC.getEraInfo(eEra)->getFaithCostMultiplier();

to this
Code:
if (!GET_PLAYER(getOwner()).GetPlayerTraits()->GetNoEraFaithCostIncrease())
     int iMultiplier = GC.getEraInfo(eEra)->getFaithCostMultiplier();
in both the GetFaithPurchaseCost function for buildings and the one for units

???probably some other things???

I'm not sure if CvTraitClasses can be rebuilt from the updated xml or if that needs to be done by hand. Would make sense for it to be rebuilt onmodload, but idk.

I suppose changing these files means the modded trait would be incompatible with any other mods that alter those files. Maybe it could be done with lua in a less invasive way?

Oh, how about a lua script that refunds the difference when purchasing something with faith? I know nothing about lua.

I now know something about lua! It requires hardcoding the base cost of each faith purchase item, but it should be possible.

Stayed up waaaaay too late last night, and thus going to be rather incoherent today... so can't really give much of an evaluation of the civs. Still, some of the concepts looked neat.

I'd probably agree one giving the kappa a guided missile UU (the idea of spamming missiles amuses me, for some reason), although it seems exceedingly powerful, and the UA seems interesting with its aquatic focus. I'd have been tempted to make the Observatory UB require swamps instead of mountains, if that's possible. Oh, they took out the Mountain requirement... being able to spam Observatories might be troublesome, although they have a smaller science bonus.

Alice's civ looks a bit worrisome, with some pretty big boosts to the production of land units. I have a feeling they'd outproduce the Oni, who only get a small boost to training from the Brewery. Hmm. Might've been interesting if they'd incorporated a combat strength penalty, making them more numerous but weaker than their rivals, as suits Alice's hordes of dolls.

I like Yukari's UA -- the Indirect Fire promotion does seem a nice way to represent using gaps. :p On the other hand, the UB and UU kind of feel like they just tossed on a bunch of extra bonuses... increased range and double fire for the machine gun? Hmm...

All in all, I like the UAs for the most part, although I think they went a little overboard trying to make them cool and powerful. X3

----

As for me, with Graal's sound pack out now, I think I'll have to work on testing Kanako some more. I'm kind of happy with how the current set of UA/UU/UB is... just need ot figure out if the UB needs to be spiced up or not.

Still need to fix up the text on the Human Village so I can post it... I HATE doing all that annoying grunt work with the text. It's my weak point... X3

Top Bottom