The3 - Great Alexandria

Theos said:
I assume long-term Memphis will be abandoned (it's in Alexandria's city radius)

Yes. I figure we can keep it around until the end of the expansion phase.

Theos said:
Otherwise we'll have to wait for another sign-up.

If he doesn't take it you and I can always play a 2 person SG until someone signs up. :) I've played a 3 person SG before and it actually went very well. Granted it was an OCC game. :D

Any other takers?

lurkers comment: sorry guys, cant play, take me out of the roster... :blush:

I'll just lurk.

Lurkers comment: Just finished your game because I thought it interesting. 1810 with 17 wonders only 3 ancient. Also launched at that date. Fun game! Good luck guys.

Barbslinger said:
1810 with 17 wonders only 3 ancient.

Wow! Impressive, and with a space launch as well.

Theos said:
I think we need to aim for the earliest possible victory ...

Our best bet is to get the available cultural improvements built before the wonders. When we're in Republic I suggest we save up cash so we can rush builds like the library, cathedral, etc. The doubling effect will help us get an early win.

Methos

Since I'll be settling the first cities in my turn, do we have a dot map plan? If you have one or time to draw up one, I'd like to see your opinion before I start.

I’m not the best at planning cities. First off I feel we should build towards Persia to trap them in. So head that way first. I also suggest we grab up those lux’s ASAP. With a builder type game we’re going to want max pop which means we need lux’s.

There’s still too much fog to the south to know where to settle. Anyway we can use the warrior down there to clear that some.

CAII wouldn’t let me place a planned city on a tile that was fog covered, so I added a yellow dot there instead.

Take it for what it's worth. I only placed a few towns to the south as I feel we should stop Persia from expanding north.

I like all the cities to the south. With silks nearby to the south-west we'll want a city there soon as well else Xerxes will grab them. Plan to settle 1, 3, 4 then the resources silks then gems then horses then grapes to the north I think.

Anyway, seeings as there's 2 of us for the moment, I think 20 turns/player is better to give a bit of a bigger gap between us.

Here are emy builds if you want to compare. I built the temple right out of the gate.

Attachments

• the3-barbslinger.jpg
    the3-barbslinger.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 192
Theos II's reign

2150 BC (0): Everything looks okay...

2110 BC (1): Warrior-scout pops a hut and learns Bronze Working.
IT: Alexandria is hit by disease :(

2070 BC (2)
IT: Alexandria receives second bout of disease. Memphis completes Granary, starts Worker, the sooner to improve tiles sufficient for settler factory. My plan is to make Memphis a 6 turn factory (2 turn warrior, 4 turn settler).

2030 BC (3)
1990 BC (4)
IT: Memphis produces a Worker, making military until it reaches size 4.

1950 BC (5)
1910 BC (6)
1870 BC (7)
1830 BC (8)
IT: We learn Writing and start Code of Laws at 90% sci/10% lux, aiming for a Philosophy, Republic slingshot. I'm thinking that getting into Republic before we complete The Pyramids and start our Golden Age will be very useful.

1790 BC (9): Disperse a barb encampment to feed our deficit science.

1750 BC (10)
1725 BC (11)
1700 BC (12)
1675 BC (13)
1650 BC (14)
IT: Memphis produces its first Settler. To Warrior->Settlers from here on out.

1625 BC (15)
1600 BC (16)
1575 BC (17): Found Heliopolis by the furs and game.
IT: Persia settle their third city right by the silks we wanted (more :( )

1550 BC (18): Xerxes now has Iron Working but we can't afford it without effectively giving him Alphabet AND Writing. He doesn't have any contacts yet I'm sure, so I hold off.

1525 BC (19)
1500 BC (20): Warrior-scout down south stumbles across a barbarian camp.

Code of Laws due in during IT, as is Memphis's second settler. Heliopolis is building a Worker but this can be changed. Workers busy building road towards future cities. Important to build cities near Persia to curtail his expansion in our direction. After Code of Laws, Philosophy at max to get Republic. Warrior-scouts out to find contacts.

Alexandria's culture is 236.

BTW, here's a MM plan for Memphis to produce a warrior and settler every 6 turns whilst only using Alexandria's cow for 2 of those turns:
Turn 1 (size 4) - Cow, Oasis, FP, FP (+5 food, 5 shields, 0 waste)
Turn 2 (size 4->5) - Game, FP, FP, FP, pick up Hill (+5 food, 5 shields, 0 waste) completes warrior
Turn 3 (size 5) - Game, Oasis, Plains, Plains, Hill (+1 food, 8 shields + 1 waste)
Turn 4 (size 5) - Game, Oasis, Plains, Plains, Hill (+1 food, 8 shields + 1 waste)
Turn 5 (size 5) - Game, Oasis, FP, FP, FP (+5 food, 5 shields, 0 waste)
Turn 6 (size 5->6->4) - Cow, Oasis, Plains, Plains, Plains, pick up Hill (+3 food, 9 shields +1 waste) completes Settler

When Memphis isn't using the cow, we obviously want Alexandria to be using it.

Here are the Alexandian lands:

And here's my dot map (with Memphis abandoned so it doesn't clutter):

I'm not sure if putting in a city to fight for the silks is the right think to do. There are ways to fit 2 better cities in that space, but then we won't ever get silks except by trade (until Xerxes declares on us, I guess). Also a city between 6 and 7 to use the Oasis and fill in the gap once Memphis is gone.

Finally, the save: The3 at 1500 BC

Methos up for 20 turns unless somebody else expresses an interest.

Theos said:
Methos up for 20 turns unless somebody else expresses an interest.

I got it, unless we have any takers. I'm thinking #5 is probably our next spot to build. Persia is probably going to aim for there as well so we need to beat them to it.

The only problem I have with the 6 turn warrior/settler factory is they will be regular warriors. I guess eventually when we get barracks up somewhere and veteran units we could always disband the regular warriors for their shields.

I believe it will be possible to culture bomb to gain control of the silks but it'll take a while. I'm wondering if instead it would be better to let Persia keep both silks and pay them for them? This would keep them friendly toward us.

Would anybody like to take the next turnset?

I'll check this evening and if no one has picked it up I'll play 20 turns.

At this level I wouldn't even bother traded techs until we're positive we'll get Philosophy. This often puts me 5 or 6 techs behind everyone. Typically a couple turns before I get Philo I'll trade either Writing or Code of Laws around and bring myself up to the tech leader.

With a builder style game we'll be the tech leaders through the whole game. We just need to make sure the rest of the world doesn't advance through the ages as we will be doing.

I'll play tonight if no one else has grabbed it.

I would play a turn or two but in the early going I feel I would have too much advance knowledge. I'll wait until you get through with expansion.

barbslinger said:
I would play a turn or two but in the early going I feel I would have too much advance knowledge. I'll wait until you get through with expansion.

Sounds great! Lut us know when you're ready. I'm really liking the idea of Theos variant.

Methos said:
Sounds great! Lut us know when you're ready. I'm really liking the idea of Theos variant.
I really enjoyed playing it. It turned into a runaway for me in the tech race researching in 4 turns and leaving the pack 10-12 techs behind which then further fueled my tech pace.

Top Bottom