Trade Reputation / breaking deals

Schalke 04

Knappe
Does breaking a treaty with an AI has negative consequences on future treaties with this or other AI?

In my current game I have a lux deal (for a lump sum of cash) and a RA with an AI going. My military campaign against another neighbour was finished earlier than I thought. Now I want the head of the other Leader on my pointy stick and don't want wo wait for that. Therefore I would have to break running treaties. So: what kind of diplomatic malusses would I have to expect if doing so?

Does breaking a treaty with an AI has negative consequences on future treaties with this or other AI?

In my current game I have a lux deal (for a lump sum of cash) and a RA with an AI going. My military campaign against another neighbour was finished earlier than I thought. Now I want the head of the other Leader on my pointy stick and don't want wo wait for that. Therefore I would have to break running treaties. So: what kind of diplomatic malusses would I have to expect if doing so?
Denounce that civ first. Then after few turns declare war. In this way civs friendlier to you might denounce that civ as well & you'll suffer less penalty.

If you are going around delcaring war, they're going to label you as a warmonger soon, so breaking a treaty should be fine, and no as far as I know there is no malus for that (unless its hidden)

In theory each breach of the agreement would make successive agreements more costly to you (e.g., insurance for breaking the deal in the form of a lump sum of gold up front, or lower and lower prices for whatever you have to offer). As your word becomes worth less and less, so will your bargaining chips. Declaring war on the non-breaching party and then destroying them would probably exacerbate this effect.

In practice, however, you should be much more worried about the AI denouncing you at random, then declaring a war on you in which you never see a single enemy unit before they offer you peace at the cost of all of your gold and luxury resources.

It's the DoW that will draw their ire, not the broken deal. If you sell Cotton for 300G, then two turns later a barb wanders in and pillages it, you can sell it right back to the same AI once you repair the improvement for 300G again. This is assuming nothing else has changed. You can go as far as pillaging your own resource repeatedly for the purpose of selling it over and over again. Cheese, yes. Bad trading reputation, no.

Top Bottom