Transferring saved games from Mac to Windows, with mods

btgwynn

Warlord
Good morning,

I haven't been able to find anything answering this, and I imagine it's probably impossible, but I'm hoping someone knowledgeable will read this and confirm that suspicion, or, even better guide me to a solution.

I play CIV 4 BTS on both Mac and Windows, and recently I was traveling, so I took my Macbook. I had a good game that got to the late 18th century before it reached a point that my poor laptop couldn't handle it any more. I thought maybe it could be picked up on a windows machine by transferring the save over. The big problem is that I was running the BAT for Mac mod, which is, of course, not available on windows.

If anyone well versed in the workings of the code can tell me if moving that game across OSs is possible/impossible/exceedingly difficult, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

BAT for Mac was adapted from BAT for Windows by Xyth. Usually this involves fixing various things that are OK on Windows, but fail on the Mac, and those fixes don't necessarily break Windows compatibility. It may therefore be possible to install and run BAT for Mac on the Windows version of BtS, but I have no idea whether this will work. If it does, you should be able to load the save and continue in Windows. If not, you will have to compete the game on your MacBook.

Xyth may be able to tell us more about what he did to make BAT work, and whether his changes are likely to have broken it on Windows ... or you could just try it.

MAC BAT probably won't be compatible with any version of BAT for Windows as a few key xml files were changed to provide fixes that Windows version itself didn't have at the time.

Unfortunately I also believe I naively removed many of the schema files from the mod as they are not needed on Mac, but essential to modular loading on Windows. I'm afraid this means MAC BAT most probably won't run on Windows.

For the next version of BAT (2.4) I'm working with the project lead to hopefully create a version that will be compatible on both platforms.

Xyth,

Sounds awesome, I look forward to it. I'm sure you hear it all the time, but I sure appreciate all the work done by you and everyone working on BAT, BUG and the rest.

Top Bottom