Travelers question on SE Asia.

Hello fellow travelers! Asia is a part of the world I havent explored much (with the exception of few weeks in Japan) so some input would be appreciated.
There are two possibilities ahead of me. Either in mid December of this year or begining of February of 2017 I should be in Hong Kong (in both cases coming from Australia) and instead going straight to European cold I am contemplating options for a visit somewhere in SE Asia first.
So that I arrive home by the mid March latest.
In the first case I would have up to 3 months at my disposal in second case (and a bit more likely) at least one month.
There are couple options on my mind at the moment like Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam and even India but I have hard time to decide since I dont know that much about either. I would be asking my real life friends/colleagues too on the top of my own research but more info is always better. Cheap is a factor here and so is security. Any thoughts CFC?

December to February is cool season in SE Asia. Weather is gorgeous, but not oppressively hot (30sC/80sF) or humid. Unfortunately, it's also high season, so prices are higher, crowds are bigger. Late Feb can already get hot, so depending on your tolerance for heat, that may be an issue.

Depending on where you're coming from, you may need time to acclimate if you really want to enjoy the experience. I'd suggest going early, sitting put somewhere you like (beaches? mountains?) for a week or so before doing too much moving about.

I'm based in Laos and have decent knowledge of Thailand. If you give me more details about what you're interested in, I can fill you in a bit more.

I can't recommend pretty much any country in SE Asia enough, although it depends on what you want from travel and what your acumen is. Hong Kong, for instance, is super easy to travel, has an incredible public transportation system that is as idiot proof a system as anything could possibly be, and some great food, but it's also pretty sterile. It is a shopping hall mecca and a really modern, clean city, but don't go expecting any cool architecture like Europe or anything because it's just too young a city. The nightscape is fantastic though. Just be prepared for shopping malls. They built them over pretty much every single subway entrance/exit so that you have to walk by a bunch of opportunities to part with money.

Vietnam is the opposite. There is no public transportation, there are no traffic lights, no traffic rules, you just cross the street assertively and hope for the best, people on every corner at night will try to sell you drugs, it's a country still getting its feet under it. The motorbike fumes will hit you hard at first, you'll get used to them eventually. Same with riding on the back of a bike. It's so, so fun, find a local who knows the area and just enjoy the wind in your face. I had a blast and met some super cool people I am still in touch with and would like to go back.

Pretty much anything is relatively cheap all things considered. Hong Kong, Singapore are at the pricier end, Malaysia, mainland China are sort of in the middle, Vietnam, India, Thailand all at the cheaper end. I stayed in hostels for like 10-15 USD a night, private room, and in Vietnam had a fancy dinner with a friend at the top of Ho Chi Minh's tallest skyscraper for a grand total of like 30 or so USD, including alcohol.

I wouldn't worry about safety really anywhere in that region of the world. The only safety things you have to worry about are drinking a crap ton of water and wearing sunscreen. I love heat but dear lord I was soaked through by noon some days. I was there in summer though. Oh and bug spray, although if you're in urban areas it's not an issue really.

If you have any other specific questions let me know.

I dont have any people to meet with the exception of Bali where my old friend stays half a year (the other half he lives in the US on his green card) but I am not sure Bali/Indonesia is the place although its a perhaps a classic destination and sort of a "must see" in regard to the region. Also I dont have much special interest - like say I am into yoga but I am not looking for a Guru. Still India has a special appeal to me.

I guess what I am looking for is a combination of culture and nature together with experiencing different mentality - kind of like taking a holidays from the western stress and way of judging of things and strongly mental perception.

Often what I do is to look for some UNESCO world heritage sites both cultural and natural and travel around those.

P.S.: How to get around in Asia by plane? Any tips for low cost flying in the region?

Last edited:
For your heritage site fix I would head to Siem Reap, Cambodia, and spend 2-4 days there exploring the temples. People say you can spend a week or longer there, but personally I think you'll be all templed out after a couple days. You can see the main temples in 2 days, most hostels/guest houses should be able to provide you with a map that has the usual routes outlined. So on one day you do one route, and on another you do another. It covers most of the main temples people come to see. Some people will tell you that biking around from temple to temple is cool, but I wouldn't do it. I ran into a Polish guy who tried to do that and he was exhausted and only got to see a couple of the temples.

You can rent a tuk tuk to take you to all the sites. IIRC I paid $5 for 12-14 hours of tuk-tukking. On the second day I paid $10 USD, because I wanted the tuk tuk driver to take me to the Landmine Museum, which is a bit out of the way... but well worth it. It's not a very happy place, but I highly recommend it. So anyway, the way I did it, is I followed those 2 recommended routes, and told the tuk tuk driver to stick to them, with some minor modifications. I had a list of temples I wanted to see, and some I didn't mind missing. The driver looked at my plan and suggested his own changes. Before we set off we had a plan we both agreed on, and then he spent the day driving me from temple to temple, and at one point to a restaurant for lunch.

One thing to keep in mind for your trip is that for instance your Thailand tourist visa will expire after 30 days if you arrive by plane.. and technically it's supposed to be 15 days if you arrive by land.. but when I entered by land coming over from Cambodia, they just gave me a 30 day visa anyway. So I dunno if that's standard or if they were just lazy. Anyway, overstaying your visit can be bad, so make sure you don't do it. In a lot of cases I bet nothing happens, but I would definitely plan your trip such that you never overstay your visa anywhere. On my trip I had everything planned out so that my flight home was 14-15 days after I crossed the border back into Thailand from Cambodia. So basically my flight home was supposed to be about 18 hours before my visa was due to expire. However like I said I ended up with a 30 day visa.. Either way though I would plan everything so that your visa doesn't expire anywhere. Look up each country's rules and stuff. For Cambodia you will need to bring 2 passport-style photos with you I believe. I even had to bribe a guy at the border because I didn't have any. So look into all visa rules and requirements for each country and make sure you're ready and that the timing works everywhere.

I loved the beaches and islands in southern Thailand, but they can get pretty touristy. One of my favourite parts of my trip was a kayaking trip by the western coast in Krabi province. But I also really enjoyed visiting some of the popular beaches. Some of them got pretty packed (Maya beach) but some of them weren't bad at all (Railay). There's a lot to see on the south-western coast, a lot of islands and beaches worth visiting. There's even a really old forest/jungle near there. I was going to go hiking there, but due to all the rain they got at the time some of the park was shut down so I never got to go. Either way, this is a really nice part of Thailand. Relaxing on some of those beaches makes you feel like you're in paradise. On the eastern coast is a party island that I would recommend, although it might not be your cup of tea. I went there last on my trip and went to a rave in a jungle, in the middle of the island. Danced all night to good house and techno. Good times and a great way to finish my trip. If you're interested, look up the full moon party island. I'm too lazy to look up the name :p

Oh, I recommend you take a cooking class somewhere in Thailand. A half day or day long one. I did one in Chiang Mai and it was very memorable. Plus I learned a lot and got a cool cookbook out of it. My favourite souvenir from the trip I think.

If you're in Bangkok and want a fun part of town to walk around, I had a brilliant time getting lost in Chinatown. It wasn't really that amazing I guess, but it was fun just getting lost in the side alleys, checking out the stores, the food, etc. Out of all the parts of Bangkok I visited, that was my favourite part of town to walk around in. Other than that you want to see the Grand Palace. It's beautiful. Floating market is neat.. Khao San Road is backpacker central. It's not must see but if you want to meet other backpackers, just kick back and have a beer, etc. that's not a bad place to do it. I met some people from Liverpool there just by chatting them up in a bar, and they gave me some tips on the rest of my stay in Bangkok. If you miss Khao San Road you're not missing much, but.. if you're in the area you might as well take a look. And if you "like to party" check out Soi Cowboy or Nana plaza. Walking through these places is.. interesting. Stay away from the establishments unless you know what you're getting into, though. I was just there to walk through the world's largest sex complex, since a week before that I walked through the world's largest religious complex in Cambodia. Yin/yang and all that. I also had a brilliant time at the Jim Thompson house & museum. I reckon it will be right up your alley, I'd look it up. Other than all that Bangkok has a couple other minor things to see, but I wouldn't spend more than 3-4 days in the city. The closest thing of note is probably Ayutthaya. I took a $2 train there and explored the ruins on.. foot I think. If you like ancient ruins and temples, and you're in Bangkok, you should probably head there.

Feel free to look through my trip report (linked in my sig) and ask any questions about any of the posts/photos you like.

edit: Oh and I almost forgot but read up on common scams. Be ready for them and know how to avoid them. Also read up on local customs, what not to do, what to do, etc. i.e. in Thailand if you drop money, DO NOT stand on it to prevent it from flying away, etc.

Last edited:
Pondicherry India is pretty nice that time of year along with lots of other interesting sights and experiences thereabouts.

Pondicherry India is pretty nice that time of year along with lots of other interesting sights and experiences thereabouts.
Have you been?

It's so, so fun, find a local who knows the area and just enjoy the wind in your face. I had a blast and met some super cool people I am still in touch with and would like to go back.
I'm curious, where would one go to meet locals? A bar?

Have you been?
I have not been to Pondicherry, but have friends who regularly make trips to India. Winter to spring is a good time to go, It is before the annual monsoon.

A lot probably depends on how much you object to 'touristy' places and how much you're looking for SE Asia party tourism rather than something resembling culture.

In any case, Siem Reap and Cambodia more generally is probably the best starting point. You can head south or east into Vietnam, north into Laos or west into Thailand.

Of those three I've just been to Vietnam, but know a number of people who have been to all three (SE Asia is to Australians what Mexico apparently is to Americans). The consensus generally seems to be that Laos is missable compared to the other two.

A strong recommendation at the moment is Burma, which has really only opened itself up to tourism in a big way in the last 5 years. It has lots of culture to explore, is ridiculously cheap, and is less touristy than e.g. Thailand or even Cambodia (although that is rapidly changing).

What are you doing in Australia?

Meanwhile I bought a Lonely Planet guidebook on Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos and north Thailand and did some research as well:

Last edited:
Lonely Planet guide will have good information, but it's good for some things and not so good for others. Parts of it should be used the way you're supposed to use wikipedia in an academic setting - as a starting point for research only.

If you only use LP guide to plan your trip and nothing else, you will always end up where all the other tourists are. Which for a lot of big sights you probably want to see can be unavoidable.. but for example the restaurant section is usually out of date and a tiny part of what's available. I wouldn't rely on it, but if you're pressed for time it can lead you to some restaurants of note. Same with accommodations - it might point out a couple decent backpacker-style accommodations and a couple interesting hotels, but you don't want to rely on that. If you end up in a smaller or remote town with not many accommodations, it can be a decent resource of pointing out obvious places to sleep and eat. But again from my experience there's always gems missing, and some of the recommended places aren't actually as advertised.

The best part of the LP guides is the "Plan your trip" part at the beginning and the "Understand" and "Survival Guide" parts at the end. You should read through all of that. It's usually a good summary of the country, customs, climate, common scams, common itineraries, top sights, food, health considerations, etc.

Other than that there's useful maps with points of interest in the regional sections. But if you have a smartphone and wifi access, you will probably find better maps online. Regional transportation information is also useful, but again not always complete. It can be good for figuring out how to best get to the city centre from an airport, how to get to a remote town, descriptions of available modes of transportation, etc. but it doesn't list all the options or even the best ones.

To get information on hikes it's hit/miss. Sometimes there will be a writeup of popular hikes, sometimes it will not really say much or give you much information about logistics.

Sometimes the best place to find a bite to eat in a foreign city is to find a place that's not listed in a LP guide. Follow the crowds, your nose, online reviews, or any combination of those. One of my favourite restaurants in Tokyo was a tiny place in a back alley I was walking by, when I was trying to find a LP recommended pub. I really wanted beer at the time, but then I overheard somebody say: "I'm sooo glad we stopped here" in English. So I turned my head to the left and there was 1 free seat. So I sat down and forgot about the pub. Got a large beer and the best skewered chicken I've ever had. And other things. And it was amazing. And the other patrons around the small bar were friendly and we exchanged some chit chat and I got some recommendations on which skewers to try. Even had some guy give me free sake for some reason. The pub would have probably been forgettable

Always wanted to visit Thailand. Hopefully in the next year or two I can go :)
From what I am learning about this part of the world its a "must do" thing. Thailand seems like a good start to explore becouse of the solid admixture of the Western culture plus is cheap like hell. Cambodia has supposedly the nicest people though: the Khmers and the biggest temple complexes, Bali is dubbed the island of gods etc.

I read recently that new rules mean that you have to have $750 USD or so cash on you when you enter Thailand. I have no idea if that's really true or not, but I would look into it. They are trying to prevent "Western beggars" from coming to the country, backpackers who show up with no money and sit on the streets and beg, so that they can continue their travels. If the rules have changed they are probably a bit more nuanced, either way def. something you should look into.

Top Bottom