Troubleshooting and F.A.Q.

I have encountered a problem in multiple games that is starting to prevent me finishing them, as it seems to cause the game to crash once things are far enough advanced. It's like a MAF, only it can happen upon freshly loading the game, and sometimes I can reload and get past it, only for it to happen again a few turns later. It shouldn't be to do with the computer's limitations (hopefully!), as I'm playing on a MacBook that's less than a year old and the games are standard speed/normal size. I attached a crash report and a save. I am currently unable to get beyond the current turn on the save. Thanks for any help you can provide!

I'm able to load and play that saved game without any crashes for at least 10 turns. Tried reloading 5 times, still fine. The crash you got isn't an MAF. It could be a number of things, but it'smost likely related to a civil war. And sure enough, one occurs on that turn in your game. Looking back through my change log, I fixed a civil war error that could cause that exact crash back in 1.23.1. Are you perhaps running 1.23? 1.23.2 is the latest 'stable' version, I suggest downloading and (re)installing that, then trying to load and continue the game.

If that doesn't help, let me know.

After updating to 1.23.2, I still get a similar crash, only this one can happen at any time, usually when I'm in the middle of a turn. The one from this crash report just happened in a new game that was less than 100 turns old, but I also had the same thing yesterday when resuming the game from the last report.

Attachments

• crashreport.txt
    54.8 KB · Views: 99
After updating to 1.23.2, I still get a similar crash, only this one can happen at any time, usually when I'm in the middle of a turn. The one from this crash report just happened in a new game that was less than 100 turns old, but I also had the same thing yesterday when resuming the game from the last report.

That seems to be some sort of Python error that is causing a crash instead outputting a message. Could you check that the relevant entries in your CivilizationIV.ini file are set as described in the first post of this thread. That will hopefully avoid the crash and give a more useful error output instead.

OK, I changed the .ini file, and got the attached crash report on turn 1 of a new game. Also, I get the following message when loading BTS and HR, and need to click OK to continue loading:

"CvUtil: 167: Syntax Warning: assertion is always true, perhaps remove parentheses?"

Attachments

• crashreport.txt
    59.7 KB · Views: 58
OK, I changed the .ini file, and got the attached crash report on turn 1 of a new game. Also, I get the following message when loading BTS and HR, and need to click OK to continue loading:

"CvUtil: 167: Syntax Warning: assertion is always true, perhaps remove parentheses?"

Something has gone wrong, none of that should be happening. Certainly not because of those 3 entries in the .ini file. The crash report indicates that the name of your civilization is missing or invalid. I think you need to start over. First check that BTS launches and plays fine before attempting to load HR.

I noticed that the crash was sometimes happening upon loading the screen of a city with no culture. I found the no culture fix a few pages back, and since adding that I haven't had any issues.

Ok, so been trying to play this mod for awhile now, and thought I had everything updated and fixed. Then this happens... Freakin' again.

Spoiler :
Civ4ScreenShot0017.JPG

Can someone direct me to the appropriate fix please. Can't seem to find it in this thread. Much appreciated.

Ok, so been trying to play this mod for awhile now, and thought I had everything updated and fixed. Then this happens... Freakin' again.

Can someone direct me to the appropriate fix please. Can't seem to find it in this thread. Much appreciated.

The fix is here.

Trying to play after six months away-- but CIV won't load. I suppose this is the new Mac OS causing problems? I believe my actual CIV IV-- not BTS-- is non compatible, per message. What is the fix or workaround here, Xyth? Want to get this figured out before upcoming Beta is posted.

Found the directions, switched the folders for El Capitan, but still crashes. Will try to post a report.

Does it make a difference having Windows 10, or that I have the complete game downloaded from the Amazon store? I'm pretty sure I've followed the installation process correctly, but whenever I load the mod it's still the BTS screen.

Does it make a difference having Windows 10, or that I have the complete game downloaded from the Amazon store? I'm pretty sure I've followed the installation process correctly, but whenever I load the mod it's still the BTS screen.

I haven't tried Windows 10, but it shouldn't make a difference. Neither should getting it from Amazon. Sounds to me like a double-nested or incorrectly named folder. That's what usually causes this issue. Make sure you've checked everything listed here.

Bug ?
Having Asatru as state religion, with the right tenets, and having an Asatru missionary spreading the religion does not create its temple... and I believe it should.
In the savegame here http://herrdebby.netsec.be/HR124b.CivBeyondSave there is a missionary right next to a city. I tested twice (on Mac OSX Mountain Lion).
(I hope I have not missed something obvious...)

Bug ?
Having Asatru as state religion, with the right tenets, and having an Asatru missionary spreading the religion does not create its temple... and I believe it should.
In the savegame here http://herrdebby.netsec.be/HR124b.CivBeyondSave there is a missionary right next to a city. I tested twice (on Mac OSX Mountain Lion).
(I hope I have not missed something obvious...)

Are you playing the latest beta? It has a bug with the Proselytism tenet that causes this.

Hi, I've started playing this mod a few days ago - it's really quite good. Thanks for all the hard work put into it!

Anyway, I've noticed from the past two games that, while the mod normally runs smoothly and quickly, around the start of the Industrial Age (I believe) and beyond it suddenly slows to a crawl between turns, occasionally taking over a minute to load. I actually quit the first game because I thought I simply picked too large of a map (Standard), but the next game it occurred again - right around the same time - on a Small map. I don't believe anyone on the map built a huge number of units suddenly (I know I wasn't). It seems kind of strange it happened twice around the same time.

Unfortunately I was having such a good time I forgot to make a save around the time it suddenly started slowing.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi, I've started playing this mod a few days ago - it's really quite good. Thanks for all the hard work put into it!

Anyway, I've noticed from the past two games that, while the mod normally runs smoothly and quickly, around the start of the Industrial Age (I believe) and beyond it suddenly slows to a crawl between turns, occasionally taking over a minute to load. I actually quit the first game because I thought I simply picked too large of a map (Standard), but the next game it occurred again - right around the same time - on a Small map. I don't believe anyone on the map built a huge number of units suddenly (I know I wasn't). It seems kind of strange it happened twice around the same time.

Unfortunately I was having such a good time I forgot to make a save around the time it suddenly started slowing.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Does the sluggishness go away or reduce if you quit BTS and reload? If so, it could just be that BTS is running low on memory after playing for a long time. If not, I'd really need a saved game to solve it. No autosaves from around that time?

Also, are you playing 1.23.2 or the new 1.24 beta?

Does the sluggishness go away or reduce if you quit BTS and reload? If so, it could just be that BTS is running low on memory after playing for a long time. If not, I'd really need a saved game to solve it. No autosaves from around that time?

Also, are you playing 1.23.2 or the new 1.24 beta?

I believe 1.23.2, or the version the download topic refers to. Sluggishness stays after quitting BTS and reloading. I'm playing a third game so if it happens again, I'll try to post a saved game. Wasn't sure if this happened to anyone else or not.

Thanks for the help.

Top Bottom