TSG 227 After Actions Thread

Nizef

Emperor
GOTM Staff
In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state your victory/loss date (preferably in the post title) and describe your path to glory in this post! Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game.

- Did you play peacefully or warlike? Did you use your UU?
- What technologies did you prioritize?
- What Social Policies did you choose and in what order? Which Ideology did you choose?
- How many cities did you have in the end and where did you settle them?

Turn 197 victory.
Scout->scout>granary>monument>GL
Writing->Philosophy->Civil Service->Astronomy>Physics>Chemistry
Honor Filled Patronage(philanthropy) Commerce(Trade wagons) (Rationalism opener)

Settled in place got a worker from Rome barely. Bought a second to improve tiles while building GL. Lost warrior trying to stop Rome settling the silver to the south. After GL and Nat college sent 4Spears and two catapults then a first settler to settle on the silver to the south(T100). Finished Rome(T111 Genocide) then went after songai(T128 genocide). upgraded spears to impi built two more impi and completed my army. After that to Persia(T140 genocide) with Astronomy finishing a few turns later. Got lucky and sailed west finding Monty. Took his capital(T153) upgraded to Trebuchets took London(T168) then North to Carthage(T183) and utique(T191). Took Carthage upgraded to canons with logistics and range which decimated Ethiopia in 3Turns could have been two as Addis Ababa had 5Hp after 2Turns and I used a cannon shot on a unit blocking my impis.

Took Patronage to help with happiness from the CS on initial continent. Took commerce to build long roads on my continent maybe a bad move. Finished with 3 GS that I was saving to bulb dynomite or rifling but didn't need. Would have bulged astronomy but it was not needed as my units where still healing from Persia when I hit it.

Grabbed GL Oracle Chichen Itza and Notre Dame

Attachments

• Screenshot (8).png
    Screenshot (8).png
    8.5 MB · Views: 79
  • Screenshot (9).png
    Screenshot (9).png
    7.5 MB · Views: 73
I won turn 176. I decided to go Liberty mainly, but also grab the left side of Honor for extra XP. I figured those would stack nicely with the Zulu UA of needing less XP to level up in the first place.

I only ever built two cities, my capital and the one from the free Liberty settler.

t1 - settled on SW hill (for extra Production)
t3 - pop ruin :D
t9 - 75gold ruin

Beelined Writing, and built the Great Library to pop Philosophy

t57 - got a pantheon just from meeting religious CS, I don't think I even had a shrine at that point. Got Goddess of Festivals

I settled my expo next to Cerro de Potosi. I wanted to place it on the shore, but Rome had already expanded and claimed the 3 silver tiles, so I had to settle 1 tile NE of my ideal location.

t95 - captured Rome with 4 CBs and 2 Spearmen

proceeded to raze Antium and wipe out the Romans completely, around turn 100 or so

t104 - Religion: Tithe, Production
t105 - Oracle

Upgraded my spearmen to Impi and sent them south

t114 - took Gao

Got a Great Admiral from the Liberty finisher, who sailed west and discovered the Aztecs at the same time my Trireme got there through shallower waters

t133 - took Persepolis
t133 - popped Astronomy with a GS (from Great Library points)
t148 - took Tenochtitlan
t149 - finished Statue of Zeus in my secondary city (the one next to Cerro de Potosi)

got Navigation and started building Frigates to send towards Carthage

t159 - took London with CBs and Caravels. They had the Great Wall so Impis were slowed, and anyway they were busy fending off defenders coming from the south.

Upgraded all my CBs to XBs

t165 - took Carthage with Frigates, Caravels, and land units coming from London
t176 - took Addis Abbeba and won

Had some pretty cool promoted units. The best one was a scarcher-upgraded-to-XB with Logistics that ignored terrain cost. I also had an Impi that got all the way to double attacks, which was killing it in Aztec lands but unfortunately died in the war against England.

Attachments

• tsg227 t176.jpg
    tsg227 t176.jpg
    657.7 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
I made a very ill-advised choice and for some reason went for Freedom as my ideology, instead of Order or Autocracy. I like to go for the less popular ideology sometimes, so I can pass it as official world ideology in the World Forum and really mess with all the other AIs.

Moderator Action: Moved you posts to the After Action thread. Once you open a save, we ask that you do not post in the Announcement thread due to concern for creating spoilers for other players. Thank you for participating and providing feedback for the community. leif

Last edited by a moderator:
Turn 216... not my best game. I got very sloppy, didnt tech Astronomy fast enough and took a long time searchng for other civs. After I wiped out my continent Rome->Persia->Songhai, I sent my armies and found Carthage. Slaughtered Carthage, but she had already wiped Ethiopia and had the Great Wall. We declared peace while I healed units and surrounded Addis Ababa. Built and bought Frigates and easily handled England. Built a large enough army that I quickly took all 3 caps within 15ish turns.

But again, I fumbled through the jungle. Good God do I hate jungle warfare. I wish I took better notes and screenshots, but here's my final save and final screenshot.

Attachments

• Sid Meier's Civilization V (DX9) 8_25_2023 1_52_31 PM.png
    Sid Meier's Civilization V (DX9) 8_25_2023 1_52_31 PM.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 35
  • TSG WIN TURNShaka_0216 AD-1530.Civ5Save
    1,015.4 KB · Views: 6
Turn 216... not my best game. I got very sloppy, didnt tech Astronomy fast enough and took a long time searchng for other civs. After I wiped out my continent Rome->Persia->Songhai, I sent my armies and found Carthage. Slaughtered Carthage, but she had already wiped Ethiopia and had the Great Wall. We declared peace while I healed units and surrounded Addis Ababa. Built and bought Frigates and easily handled England. Built a large enough army that I quickly took all 3 caps within 15ish turns.

But again, I fumbled through the jungle. Good God do I hate jungle warfare. I wish I took better notes and screenshots, but here's my final save and final screenshot.

Jungle and Great Wall must be a nightmare! I was lucky that England had the Great Wall, and their Capital was easily reachable from all sides by sea.

Jungle and Great Wall must be a nightmare! I was lucky that England had the Great Wall, and their Capital was easily reachable from all sides by sea.
Oh man I'm jealous. It wasn't fun. I think my biggest mistake was city placement. I mentioned in the first 100 move thread that I had I feeling my 2nd location should've been the coast tile next to Ptossi, and not the river. Frigates both ways would've helped my time too.

Attachments

• Sid Meier's Civilization V (DX9) 8_23_2023 5_45_53 PM.png
    Sid Meier's Civilization V (DX9) 8_23_2023 5_45_53 PM.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 36
Oh man I'm jealous. It wasn't fun. I think my biggest mistake was city placement. I mentioned in the first 100 move thread that I had I feeling my 2nd location should've been the coast tile next to Ptossi, and not the river. Frigates both ways would've helped my time too.

My 2nd city wasn't on the coast either, because it would have been too close to Antium. So I settled it 1 NW of Potosi, and after I razed Antium I had silver tiles in the 2nd and 3rd rings.

I noticed with the other games that the opposing civs seemed to be settling and playing much better than they did in my game, and they settled very passively too. I also totally forgot about the great admiral liberty trick, it's been years since I did that. Back then I was just trying to get world congress first, now I never pick admiral. Well, this is the first time I've ever tried for time in this kind of setting. Lesson learned!

I noticed with the other games that the opposing civs seemed to be settling and playing much better than they did in my game, and they settled very passively too. I also totally forgot about the great admiral liberty trick, it's been years since I did that. Back then I was just trying to get world congress first, now I never pick admiral. Well, this is the first time I've ever tried for time in this kind of setting. Lesson learned!
I didn't even think of the GA until I got my choice of free Great Person, for some reason I didn't need a GS and a GE didn't appeal either since there were no interesting wonders available. So I thought what can the other GPs do for me, a GA can swim on ocean so he would help me find other civs quicker... bingo

DomVic T269 All Impi and CB/XB (with some minor support from Frigates at the very end but was unnecessary). I got the Shaka victory award so I guess I never won with Shaka before and never got to realize the awesomeness that are Impi. Impi are ridiculous; the well promoted ones were just tanking the city shots, the city was barely doing more damage than they healed each turn and sometimes less. I took the capitals in the order: Rome, Songhai, Persia, Aztec, England, Carthage, Ethiopia (who Carthage had already taken so never actually fought Halle).

Continuing from T134 in Opening Actions where I took Rome. I cleared our continent before meeting any of the other civs so no massive diplo hit from that. As soon as I met the civs across the sea I traded for as many luxes as I could. Thank goodness they had some and were willing to trade (unlike those on the home continent - I don't think I was able to trade a single lux with them) so that fixed my happiness issues while I could build happiness wonders, policies and buildings.

Then on to the other continents. Monty was easy, But then had to trudge through jungle to London and Liz had longbows and actually used them well. I lost a couple of XB and Impi. Even though most of my XB had logistics and range they couldn't take advantage of range because of where London was located. Sailed across the sea to Carthage. This is where I used a Frigate to take out some of Dido's ships threatening my land troops crossing the ocean. Took Utique because it was on the way to Addis Ababa. Impi and XB made short work of them all. I did leave one lone barbarian worker alive next to Addis Ababa to tell the tale of Shaka's glory though.

After finishing Honor I took a couple in Patronage to keep the happy CS; also Aristacracy from Tradition for happiness. Then two in Commece to save on all those roads. Never opened Rationalism or made it to Ideology.

Only founded 3 cities myself; never even built the one on the Silver that I had originally planned on being my first expo; couldn't afford the happiness hit and it wasn't needed. Burned most of the cities on my own continent; all that unsettled land really hurt, I generally like to settle on any good spot. Only took capitals on the other continents except Utique so ended up with 13 cities.

A fun Dom game!

Attachments

• Victory.jpg
    Victory.jpg
    481.2 KB · Views: 32
  • T269 Home.jpg
    T269 Home.jpg
    521.1 KB · Views: 26
Just got a turn 242 domination win. Last one to fall was ethiopia with his jungle + great wall. Was easy though because I planted some citadels to get right next to his capital, with the easy great general generation with Zulu. Also had 2 artillery with logistics that made short work of his capital.
I went rome -> persia -> songhai -> london -> aztecs -> carthage -> ethiopia.
Interesting to read the very fast win times here.

I was trying to have some more fun choices and less optimal speed this time. For example I chose monastaries while pagoda's would have been better.

Finished with a turn 169 Domination win.

The early game was a liberty start with scouts followed by a monument and worker. Early ruins were pop (t3), barbs (7), map (11), animal husbandry (18), scarcher and faith (21). I took sun god as a pantheon.

Settlements: I settled city 2 on the middle silver on the way to Rome. I settled city 3 by the lake to the east with access to horses and gold with a great general.

Wonders: build great library turn 50, and pyramids after that. Mausoleum netted two city state quests and useful early gold. Terra cotta warriors finished on turn 86 and I began the march on Rome after that.

I filled in three exploration policies as well. The Liberty great person was an admiral to help plan the rest of the military schedule.

I built a few galleass to upgrade as soon as Oxford finished (Navigation). These quickly took out Carthage and London. Half of the original army too out the Aztecs and the rest drove towards Addis Ababa. A few additional Impis were sent from the home cites west. This was fortunate because with the great wall and 30% extra city bombard strength it was a tough final fight.

Shaka108-Rome.png

131Persia.png

Aztecs147.png

Addis169.png

Domination victory on turn 387.

Social polices were Tradition opener, right side of Honor, finish Tradition, Exploration opener, Rationalism opener and the one on the top left, Freedom(6), finished Exploration, start on Commerce. I don't remember when I finished the left side of Honor, I think that was before I opened Commerce.

Initial build order was scout, scout, shrine, settler, (my memory gets a little fuzzy at this point) archer, ikanda, spearman, spearman, library, (bought a worker), Hanging Gardens. My first expo was south on the silver and near the natural wonder. Soon after, I had enough gold to buy a settler and I send him north to the coastal gold tile. Eventually I settled a 4th city on the nearby island with the copper and lots of fish. My first expo build Petra and also somehow manage to get Colossus. My pantheon was God of Festivals, so with the free culture I could put off building a monument in Ulundi for a really long time. The first 2 expos built monuments right away. The last expo got a free monument as soon as a settled it.

I declared war for real against Rome around turn 210. (I had previously stolen a worker but didn't really fight because my army was stronger but his city was too defensible) I have no idea how Rome was so strong that early in the game (about 50 strength by turn 200). He did not have Red Fort, I built that later. I had to go in with a half dozen cannons and a bunch of crossbows, impi, and muskets, and I lost a lot of them. But Rome had previously conquered Songhai and Persia, so after I wiped out his army at Rome I swept thru the continent and captured Gao and Persepolis. I liberated a Songhai city and razed most of the Roman cities. Unfortunately, Caesar hadn't finish the job with Persia, and Darius was a nuisance the rest of the game; I should have taken him out, but I was starting to meet the leaders on the other continent by now and was not ready for them to hate me yet.

Next I spent about 70 or 80 turns just building up my empire and exploring. Somewhere around turn 300 Carthage and Ethiopia asked me to join them in a war against England and I said yes. Dido and Haile didn't do much; I took London with several battleships and a destroyer. London had the Great Lighthouse and Forbidden Palace. I immediately made peace because Liz had the same ideology as me and I didn't want to weaken her so much that they would eliminate her. I started an infantry and mobile SAM swimming across the ocean towards Ethiopia (it would have been nice to have marines for that, but I hadn't researched that yet. When I they were close and I was ready to declare war, I bribed Haile to declare war on Carthage and the Aztecs. (then I denounced him, and everybody else joined in the denouncements) Much to my surprise, he actually captured Carthage while I was laying siege to Addis Ababa. So I was able to take it from him w/o ever declaring war on Dido.

Since Ethiopia fell so fast and I got Carthage almost for free, I wasn't prepared to capture Tenochtitlan since it wasn't coastal. I had to swim an infantry, rocket artillery, and tank over there (all I really needed was the infantry) which took about 8 extra turns. While waiting for them to get there, my battleships one-shot'd all the defenders. (I was about 20 techs ahead of Monty at this point)

I was disappointed that nobody built Prora. I don't think anyone even adopted Autocracy

20230915205259_1.jpg20230915205245_1.jpg20230915205205_1.jpg20230915205149_1.jpg20230915205127_1.jpg

Edit: D'oh! I just realized two battleships and an infantry unit could have conquered the Aztecs *while* I was fighting Ethiopia. Saved at least a dozen turns. That's why domination is my weakest game; I forget that I can have more than one army/fleet fighting different campaigns.

Last edited:
Well done, everyone!

So I've usually played pangea on deity so this is very different and old habits made me build no ships at all, let alone opt for a great admiral. In fact I didn't even place Ulundi on the coast, craving all the wheat and wine instead. (I settled 1E. At least I didn't compulsively settle on the river which would have been a viable option in Civ3. :old:)

I messed up trying to steal a worker from Zürich. Apparently, I still hadn't learned that ranged units will shoot at workers instead of taking them. :cringe:

Early build order: scout,scout,granary,monum,shrine, library2600, warr,arch,settl
Pantheon: Goddess of wine gave an early culture boost. I founded Zoroasterism too, but I don't think that made a huge difference.
Policy order: Alternating btw Liberty and Honour policies, then Patronage for happiness. You can see in my minimap below that I saved way more conquered cities than some of the skilled players here. This was probably a waste of energy and of happiness.
Tech order: potter,animal h,wri,cal,arch,mining,mason,wheel,constr,sail,opt,math,dram,curr... Beeline to astronomy would have been interesting since I had a pretty big task force that couldn't get off the continent. 1090 AD seems waaay too late for Astronomy. I should probably not have been interested in crossbowmen or even in trebuchets. 💤

In summary, an interesting learning experience with Continents and the low difficulty level. I must remember that an unknown map is usually not pangea, statistically. I wasted many turns splashing around on coastal tiles in the southwestern islands. (Exploration is fun, though.)

Victory came on turn 247, after trudging through the jungle just like others here:

AdisA.png

Top Bottom