Twillight of Byzantium

You can get hit by a worm without having anything to do with what you clicked. :)
Well im not to hip on viruses but my protection picks up viruses as soon as there detected and it popped up as soon as i went to the link.and like i said before it might be wise to run a complete virus check to those who went to the link I know im going to.dont know much about worms and how they work.dont get me wrong im not saying the link caused it im just saying that when i clicked on the link i was advised there was a virus detected on my computer.I know a lot of viruses work through attachments but im no expert on this subject.

I clicked the link without any viruses comming up. :confused:

RODP - Constantine who? The original Constantine? In that case, no. He would be too early for this scenario.

RODP - Constantine who? The original Constantine? In that case, no. He would be too early for this scenario.
The person who made the attachment said he just got a new computer his previous thread. it would be in his interest to check his new computer for viruses.being new you most likely have to do a lot of downloading off the net.I know i did when mine was new.I did a complete virus check just to be sure and nothing was found.better to be safe then sorry.I dont no if virus protection software can give you bogus warnings.but it did delete 2 files.wish i wouldve taken a screenshot but i didnt think of it.but everything seems okay now.

dferrill - I really don't think the pic caused the virus. Look what Mirc said. :)

I think he ment Constantine XI Palacologus, the last emperor of Byzantium.

Well he's not in. Byzantines use the leader that was at the beginning of the scenario.

Wow that's beutiful rifleman! I'll defiently include it if I make an update. :)

@ yoda - a little while ago, I made this version of the Venice city graphic. I thought you could use it.

-

Whatever floats your boat, er city... :lol:
Nice stuff rifleman.

Hello,

I had wanted to play this one for a long time; looks like a short, action-packed scenario with a lot of gusto and a great in-game feeling. I thought I would try my luck as the Byzantines at emperor level

(1354/1400) - 23 turns

What a whacking to start with! My empire is surrounded by ennemies that won't even discuss peace: Ottomans, Serbs, Bulgars, Latins, Hospitaliers. That is a lot considering the Ottomans are just massive, and Byzantine cities are scattered all over with a desperately isolated Philadelphia and a remote Mistra. There is a feeling of despair in Constantinople as the game starts in 1354; my only early advantages are obviously Golden Age giving very good production and trading, some rebel Greek soliders in Macedonia and 4 excellent cities with lots of infrastructure (Constantinople, Adrianople, Thessalonica and Mistra).

In Thracia around Constantinople I do not think it is possible to avoid the capture of Alexandropolis by the Ottomans in the 1st year. They just massively storm from Gallipoli and my navy is much too inferior to try and cut them off from Anatolia. The Turkish armies storm into Europe clashing with the Bulgars a lot, Serbs less. Blagoevgrad falls and by 1400 the battle is intense with Varna and key Plovdiv having being re-taken by the brave Bulgars. Constantiople itself is too powerful and no one dares attack it; all action is concentrated around Adrianople. I have to fight off some norther Bulgar attacks, and constant massive Ottoman ones. Without any external help I manage to hold-on, then finally anihilate the main Ottoman army besieging me. A leader pops-up and I now have an army of my own. By 1400 the Constantinople-Adrianople axis seems safe, I have lost the horses farm to the west but re-opened the quarry mine and kept safe iron, silk, wool and wheat supplies. Yet, I am completely isolated and dare not attempt a re-conquest of Alexandropolis which would open-up the way towards Thessalonica. There is also that feeling that should Ottomans concentrate on me, I would not resist long.

In Macedonia the setting is very different; Thessalonica is a very strong city and I have lots of loyal troops around. I cannot compete at sea and before I am able to re-enforce the island Thasos falls to the Ottomans which cuts me further from Constantinople. The island of Skopelos is later attacked by the Hospitaliers and I am very lucky to get away with it. Inland the struggle with the Serbs is constant and fierce; I quickly conquer Athos and later on Larissa, fortifying the gulf of Thessalonica. The Serbs counter-attack heavily from the norht targetting Thessalonica and, isolated again, I have a very hard time rebuffing them. By 1400 I have managed to re-open my iron mine and fortify it, but fighting around Ohid is torrid and costly.

In Hellas I am not seriously challenged by the Latins at Mistra which is a strong position. I fortify it and start envisaging conquest on Pirgos or even Corinth.

Philadelphia is desperate but heroic, surrounded by hostile Turkish moslem. I sell all un-necessary buildings, invest in Trebuchets and Crossbowmen. ~1390 an Ottoman attack almost brings the city down, but I manage to hold-on and recover. Ottomans are on the rampage in Anatolia and except for Aydin south, they surround me but push their conquests further east.

More broadly, I quickly realize that I must make the best use possible of my Golden Age and also form alliances while I can. I decide to try and be the first to discover Astronomy which I manage and I get Invention as a bonus. I use this scientific advantage to form alliances with Venice (vs Ottomans and Hospitaliers), Genoa (vs Ottomans and Latins) and Napoli (vs Latins). It is difficult to know what impact they have had upon their expiration ~1400. Hospitaliers have taken Paliapolis and Samos which probably prevented them from storming against me in Hellas or Macedonia; the Sicilians hit the Latins hard in conquering Argstolion which also probably helped not being attacked around Mistra so far. What sort of damage was done to the Ottomans by the Italians is unknown.

In 1400 Byzance forms new sets of alliances with an aim this time at bringing the Serbs down and conquering most of Macedonia; I convince Pirates, Bosnians, Wallachians to attack them on all fronts. Simultaneously I am wary of the vicious Papal naval raids against Thessalonica and I convince Florence, Sienna and Napoli on an alliance to march on Rome. My biggest fear however is the fact that Venice and Genoa have become too scientifically advanced to be talked into continuing the fight vs Ottomans. If they turn on me I am done.

Ressources is an issue since all my cities are cut-off from Constantinople-Adrianople. I invest in ports and the Mistra iron is available in Macedonia while conquest of Larissa enables the training of Knights. Constantinople has never lacked of iron, but horses are not available and I have to rely on my early trained Knights army corps for mobility. Finally I do not possess any salpeter exploitation within my borders so far and need to conquer Ohid (Serbs) for this - and other strategic reasons.

After 23 turns I have only 8 colonies. I am ahead in science though slowing down, and still leading VPs (10,650 vs 5,775 to Ottomans). This is going to be a tough one to win and the key is diplomacy; if my plan of my Byzantine-Ragusa-Wallachia-Bosnia anti-Serb alliance works fine I should gain key ground in Macedonia with an aim to target rich and latin Hellas in the end. Yet Ottomans are massively strong and I fear some sort of back-stabbing by Venice or Gneoa, or both...

Wow, a very interesting read St Exupere! :goodjob:

I hope you will keep me updated.

Indeed.

I feel that maybe this mod title is inaccurate or mis-informing beings it's about the time period that the Byzantine empire actually fell and were conqered. To me, "Twillight" sounds like a golden age description. :)

Top Bottom