UK Politics - BoJo and chums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ostentatiously wearing a poppy but not a mask, despite being surrounded by mask wearing old people (at COP26 yesterday). However there is no doubt he is a massive weirdo.

He is BEAUTIFUL!!

Unrelated, it's eight days to Remembrance Day and people are already going spare over people on television not wearing a poppy.

It's not Remembrance Month, right? I am right with that, I'm pretty sure.

In the UK it is Remembrance Day 11 November with optional two minutes silence at
11:00 to mark WW1 armistice, and Remembrance Sunday on 14 November 2021.

It is customary to buy and wear a poppy if one is going to church on that Sunday.

IIRC that was the last time that I saw our MP.

Whereas Black history had the whole month of Bloctober.

Well, yes, but then you don't need to be told that black people are relevant all year round, not just for one week in November.

Well now in the brief ten minutes of GB News I watched earlier,
I didn't see Mercy Muroki wear a poppy or complain about it.

This thread about fake culture war outrage.

This is not even a perception of sleaze: this is the Tory party literally voting in favour of corruption and overriding Parliamentary rules.

That radical lefty organ Radio 3 is reporting that "A tory MP convicted of egregious breaches of parliamentary rules is let off by the government".

(Quoting from memory, the bolded word is the only bit I am sure is right, the message is correct though)

Ostentatiously wearing a poppy but not a mask, despite being surrounded by mask wearing old people (at COP26 yesterday). However there is no doubt he is a massive weirdo.
*Looks at the Boris' eyes* Is this a sequel to that 28 days later film?

No, I am not admitting that.

It is about dishonest UK governments not knowing what is going on and misleading their electorate.
Such as proposing Brexit, a major government policy if there ever was one, based on false information?

*Looks at the Boris' eyes* Is this a sequel to that 28 days later film?
I though about taking the mickey out of that, but I have been to so many conferences, the day after the important work of "networking" (read, getting pissed up with people you meet there), and then sitting through a day of dry talks, that I look rather like that.

Even after all this time? ;)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/59155576

Anyone been keeping an eye on this story with Yorkshire and their failure to discipline anyone who racially abused Azeem Rafiq? Gary Balance has since come out and said that he is one of the players who used the P word. And mostly this was in response to Azeem calling him the Z word (Ballance is from Zimbabwe). But on the face of it, they appear best chums. Azeem stayed with Ballances family and Ballance was invited to Azeems wedding. In any case. This is a pretty clear infraction IMO. Even if it was banter, you don’t throw that sort of language casually around as you will almost certainly end up upsetting or offending someone else. So Ballance should be given either a verbal or written warning. And Azeem should also be disciplined IMO.

I have to say I agree with the smattering of tories who have come out to criticise the Yorkshire board. And I suspect the ECB will be forced to act. If they don’t, then all their posturing of taking the knee and so on will count for very little if they fail to heavily sanction one of the biggest and most influential counties whose board failed to act on a case of clear racism.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/59155576

Anyone been keeping an eye on this story with Yorkshire and their failure to discipline anyone who racially abused Azeem Rafiq? Gary Balance has since come out and said that he is one of the players who used the P word. And mostly this was in response to Azeem calling him the Z word (Ballance is from Zimbabwe). But on the face of it, they appear best chums. Azeem stayed with Ballances family and Ballance was invited to Azeems wedding. In any case. This is a pretty clear infraction IMO. Even if it was banter, you don’t throw that sort of language casually around as you will almost certainly end up upsetting or offending someone else. So Ballance should be given either a verbal or written warning. And Azeem should also be disciplined IMO.

I have to say I agree with the smattering of tories who have come out to criticise the Yorkshire board. And I suspect the ECB will be forced to act. If they don’t, then all their posturing of taking the knee and so on will count for very little if they fail to heavily sanction one of the biggest and most influential counties whose board failed to act on a case of clear racism.

The 'Z' word? I haven't read what Azeem is supposed to have called Ballance. I'm not aware of any racial slurs for white Zimbabweans beginning with Z. Zimbabwean isn't a racial slur.

I'd agree with said Tories if they, pretty much to the letter, all didn't have a history of leaning into racist commentary themselves. Dorries in particular. It just smacks of political point-scoring.

And mostly this was in response to Azeem calling him the Z word (Ballance is from Zimbabwe)
I had to look up the "Z word" you're referring to, and it's not exactly common. Most of the Google search results refer back to this mess. The only two actual references I can find (after searching for it, and it's relevance as a slur) are from a Zimbabwean news site and a random Twitter account I'm not going to link because it has so few follows (personal preference - I tend to only link large platforms, because not everybody with 300 followers needs linking across the Web for no reason). But it's certainly not used as a slur in either case.

This isn't a case of "both people said bad words", I don't think. I see no reason why Azeem needs to be disciplined, bearing in mind that the linked story is explicitly Ballance's public statement after his involvement was revealed (i.e. PR).

Owen Paterson has resigned as an MP after a row over his conduct led to a government u-turn.

The last two years have been an indescribable nightmare for my family and me. My integrity, which I hold very dear, has been repeatedly and publicly questioned.
I will remain a public servant but outside the cruel world of politics.​

His wife died by suicide last year, which is terrible for anyone, but I fear I have no sympathy for a politician who gets caught with their nose in the trough, especially when he has been lying about it. There will be a by election, but he got 62.7% last time so I would not expect it to be competitive.

Is the "Z-word" "Zimbo"? That's not a slur.

It seems you're right.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertain...cism-scandal/ar-AAQjAl4?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531

Don't think thats a racial slur any more than Aussie or Yank are.
Apparently Yorkshire felt that it was a racial slur and that if Azeem was still playing for Yorkshire he should have faced disciplinary action for using it although Ballance using the P-word, long recognised as a racist slur in the UK, and making other remarks did not merit disciplinary action.

As for them seeming best mates afterwards its not uncommon to try and get on with your colleagues even if you don't like how they treat you, "grin and bear it".

Almost anything can be classed as a racist slur these days. After all, it's the victims interpretation of the abuse directed at them. Not a straw poll amongst interested parties.

Sounds to me like Balance and the wider Yorkshire team were far too casual in their banter. Will be interesting to hear what Azeem has to say at this meeting that's been called.

You do have to be careful of condemning on this sort of stuff though. I remember at my university an Asian guy played on one of the pool teams. Everyone had nicknames. And his was chicken tikka massala. Whether he was given it or whether it was chosen I don't know. But I can see how from the outside that might be considered by some as racist.

Not really much ambiguity on use of the P word though. Even casual use is a complete no no.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom