UK Politics - BoJo and chums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Four posts back, Edward.
Owen Paterson has resigned as an MP after a row over his conduct led to a government u-turn.

The last two years have been an indescribable nightmare for my family and me. My integrity, which I hold very dear, has been repeatedly and publicly questioned.
I will remain a public servant but outside the cruel world of politics.​

His wife died by suicide last year, which is terrible for anyone, but I fear I have no sympathy for a politician who gets caught with their nose in the trough, especially when he has been lying about it. There will be a by election, but he got 62.7% last time so I would not expect it to be competitive.

For some reason, I missed Samson's unsourced post:

Looks like four UK Parliament by-elections in total:

James Brokenshire
David Amess
Owen Paterson
Claudia Webbe

Surely David Amess's seat will be uncontested?
I'm not sure. How can anyone claim to be the right automatic inheritor to David Amess?

I'm not sure. How can anyone claim to be the right automatic inheritor to David Amess?

The precedent was set with the by-election after Jo Cox's murder. The Tories and other major parties didn't field candidates, so the Labour party candidate was only up against some independents, the BNP and a few very minor parties. It would look abysmally hypocritical for Labour (and the other parties) not to reciprocate this for David Amess's constituency. Would also be stupid from a pragmatic standpoint - it's a very safe Tory seat, so they're not going to win anyway, so from a PR standpoint it's better to be seen to do the honourable thing, and let the Tory candidate run unopposed.

It seems you're right.
Yay! But seriously, “Zimbo” is a term of affinity used like “Rhodie”—the former tending to be more of a non-racial word.

Anyway, the “P-word” is interesting to me because the name Pakistan itself is an acronym made up of the 5 Muslim-majority regions of the British Raj by Muslim independence activists who feared a Hindu-dominated independent India.

Id never actually heard the word Zimbo before any of this. Like with most things i think what really matters is the way in which the word is used. Simply saying the P word, the N word, or whatever, doesnt necessarily mean someone is being racist. The moment you make it personal though and use it actively it becomes a serious problem. And in this instance Azeem was being called a P***. So yeah, pretty bad. The insinuation though is that he said pretty bad stuff towards Ballance (not necessarily Zimbo - although it could be that - who knows).

Its also quite amazing that they are having to use parliamentary privilege to out all of this. Im a bit suspicious of Azeems motivation. He has just accused Michael Vaughn of saying something racist over 10 years ago. I have a lingering suspicion this has more to do with the fact that Yorkshire didnt renew his contract than anything. And he is using all and every means at his disposal to try and get his own back. Which is not a good look. But then neither is allowing casual racist slurs as an ordinary part of dressing room talk. What a mess!

Have to say this Patterson thing is pretty hilarious. This government has been known for screeching U turns. But this is perhaps the most farcical of the lot. If Labour and Liberals have any sense they will both stand aside and allow an anti sleaze candidate to stand against the tories.

Id never actually heard the word Zimbo before any of this. Like with most things i think what really matters is the way in which the word is used. Simply saying the P word, the N word, or whatever, doesnt necessarily mean someone is being racist. The moment you make it personal though and use it actively it becomes a serious problem. And in this instance Azeem was being called a P***. So yeah, pretty bad. The insinuation though is that he said pretty bad stuff towards Ballance (not necessarily Zimbo - although it could be that - who knows).

Its also quite amazing that they are having to use parliamentary privilege to out all of this. Im a bit suspicious of Azeems motivation. He has just accused Michael Vaughn of saying something racist over 10 years ago. I have a lingering suspicion this has more to do with the fact that Yorkshire didnt renew his contract than anything. And he is using all and every means at his disposal to try and get his own back. Which is not a good look. But then neither is allowing casual racist slurs as an ordinary part of dressing room talk. What a mess!

Yorkshires chairman has resigned making some fairly damning criticisms of the club board and senior management. Ismail Dawood has also said he experienced racist remarks from team mates whilst at Yorkshire.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/ukne...acism-claims/ar-AAQlAH2?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531

edit: And another Yorkshire player has confirmed hearing the racist remarks Vaughan denies making.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/...ys-he-heard-vaughan-s-racist-comments-1287618

Last edited:
Yeah im not convinced about the Vaughan story. How anyone is supposed to remember that much about a conversation 10 years ago is beyond me. It might have got lost in translation i suppose. "Too many of you lot, we need to do something about it" could even be a compliment - saying too many good asian players playing for Yorkshire, the English need to step up.

Seems a bit strange that only now its being talked about -10 years after it actually happened. Based on his punditry he does say some stupid things. But racist? I doubt it.

I don't see how the length of time really matters. It's the same as any other case - so long as there is corroborating evidence, that's all that should matter. There are plenty of reasons why a person might not speak out about abuse they're receiving at the time - especially from colleagues.

I don't see how the length of time really matters. It's the same as any other case - so long as there is corroborating evidence, that's all that should matter. There are plenty of reasons why a person might not speak out about abuse they're receiving at the time - especially from colleagues.

There are legal time limits though. Three years for personal or psychological injury. One year for breach of human rights. Domestic abuse 6 months. Abuse by police - 6 months or 6 years. etc etc.

I think if the defendant is a minor then a time limit is problematic (or even pointless - it should be ad infinitum). But we are talking about adults here. And if they never aired a problem 10 years ago i dont see why we should pay much attention now.

Yeah im not convinced about the Vaughan story. How anyone is supposed to remember that much about a conversation 10 years ago is beyond me. It might have got lost in translation i suppose. "Too many of you lot, we need to do something about it" could even be a compliment - saying too many good asian players playing for Yorkshire, the English need to step up.

Seems a bit strange that only now its being talked about -10 years after it actually happened. Based on his punditry he does say some stupid things. But racist? I doubt it.

If racism is accepted as casual banter by the club and thats where your career is thats a powerful incentive to just grin and bear it.
I'm not really worried about what the players said and don't particularly want them to suffer because of it, but given that Yorkshire thought this type of thing was just banter and acceptable I think they have to acknowledge that it isn't acceptable and won't be tolerated in the future. It was up to the club management to set the standards.

If racism is accepted as casual banter by the club and thats where your career is thats a powerful incentive to just grin and bear it.
I'm not really worried about what the players said and don't particularly want them to suffer because of it, but given that Yorkshire thought this type of thing was just banter and acceptable I think they have to acknowledge that it isn't acceptable and won't be tolerated in the future. It was up to the club management to set the standards.

Well yes. I don't disagree here. Yorkshire have behaved deplorably. And deserve everything they get. It is turning into a bit of a witch hunt though. The irony here is that Vaughan was very quick to stick the boot in with Ollie Robinson about a tweet he wrote 5 years previous to being an England player. Not so fun now the boot is on the other foot Michael.

I think if the defendant is a minor then a time limit is problematic (or even pointless - it should be ad infinitum). But we are talking about adults here. And if they never aired a problem 10 years ago i dont see why we should pay much attention now.
To be fair, we only are because people are making news out of it to even sell. But that's a whole other problem.

How long till the next election? Any chance that Starmer will be replaced [afterwards, I mean we all know how it is taboo for the labour party to try to replace a leader before an electoral loss ( :vomit: ) ] with someone who actually gets people interested again?

I miss Corbyn.

The precedent was set with the by-election after Jo Cox's murder. The Tories and other major parties didn't field candidates, so the Labour party candidate was only up against some independents, the BNP and a few very minor parties. It would look abysmally hypocritical for Labour (and the other parties) not to reciprocate this for David Amess's constituency. Would also be stupid from a pragmatic standpoint - it's a very safe Tory seat, so they're not going to win anyway, so from a PR standpoint it's better to be seen to do the honourable thing, and let the Tory candidate run unopposed.
*thinks*
Yes, the part about it being a safe seat so it being better-looking to pretend to be honourable is the key point. Lowlier things have happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom