Uninstalling the latest patch

lietkynes

Hello sword !
Hi,

I liked the game more before the last patch. The AI using ICS tactics is so boring that I stopped playing Civ5. Also my mod only works with unpatched Civ5 and I don't have time/will to upgrade it.

Is there a way to uninstall the latest patch somehow ? (I purchased Civ5 through Steam).

i'm sure there's a way, but the thing is, if you do manage to remove it, the next time you run the game steam will just reinstall the patch again.

Of course there is always an alternative.

Find a torrent file and download a steam cracked version of the game. Since you've already bought the game, it's not even a crime to do so.

Of course there is always an alternative.

Find a torrent file and download a steam cracked version of the game. Since you've already bought the game, it's not even a crime to do so.

I haven't thought that. You are right (but it's very sad).

I haven't thought that. You are right (but it's very sad).

It IS a crime. I would not recommend that.

Instead, express your disapproval of Steam to 2K and to Valve. Also, see PM from me.

It IS a crime. I would not recommend that.

As far as I know it depends on what country you are in. In some European countries for example it's not a crime if you already hold a valid license for the software...

Having said that, I would not recommend it either

Thanks Tifereth. Yes, I was speaking from an Americo-centric perspective, and it may well be that the law differs in other countries.

However, as a general principle, I think it is just bad for gamers to make ANY use of illegitimate copies of games. We, the gaming community are the real key to eliminating piracy, and the supposed need for intrusive distribution practices like Steamworks. We can only move toward that ideal by promoting an absolute intolerance of piracy of all kinds.

Even if it is legal in your nation, please don't do it. Only make use of legitimate copies and if the maker/distributor has imposed some sort of functionality (e.g. auto-patching by Steam) that you disapprove of, then do not simply go round this by making use of illegitimate copies. That diffuses the power of your consumer disapproval. Rather, you should harness that power, become part of the collective of gamers speaking out against this trend in gaming . . . Sending the same PM to you Tifereth.

sending a letter of 'express' disapproval is all well and good. However, if you really don't like the game post patch, a letter isn't going to change the game - action is.

Anyway, downloading a copy of the game is not a crime as long as you do not sell it on and you have a valid licence key. It could I suppose be argued that you are passing it on if you are using a download client that uploads content as it downloads, however this feature can be disabled (at the expense of slower download speed).

It's like buying a cd and then making a copy for your car so it doesn't get scratched.

Moderator Action: While I appreciate the trying to help the OP aspect of this torrent talk, please stop this discussion. CFC has a zero tolerance policy on piracy and while laws may differ in different countries, we try to respect the Steam and 2K Games terms of service.

Anthropoid said:

Yes, I was speaking from an Americo-centric perspective, and it may well be that the law differs in other countries.

If something is legal, you can do it.

However, as a general principle, I think it is just bad for gamers to make ANY use of illegitimate copies of games.

No. It is always flame war but... I paid for it, so I can not hurt anybody by playing game with "no cd patch" or without connection to internet.

Even if it is legal in your nation, please don't do it. Only make use of legitimate copies

I can not do this. In most cases I am unable to make a copy of original cd - without special software, you will get information "invalid cd in drive".

Do not get me wrong. Piracy is not ok, but using "no cd" versions of your games and using copies of your original cds is not a crime in my opinion.

But as moderator said, Steam and 2K Games can have different opinion about this so I will write nothing more ;)

You can disable "auto patching" in steam. If you have a boxed copy and can get it to load the game (without steam downloading the game from it's sight) then you will always have the vanilla copy. You can't pick and choose which patch you get though. If you purchased the game from steam though, a little forsight was needed. You could of "backed" up each time the different patches were in effect. I am not sure if it is possible under a "windows" OS to go back and do a restore and that will do the same thing. If it is; then just refuse any "new" patches from Steam.

You can disable "auto patching" in steam. If you have a boxed copy and can get it to load the game (without steam downloading the game from it's sight) then you will always have the vanilla copy. You can't pick and choose which patch you get though. If you purchased the game from steam though, a little forsight was needed. You could of "backed" up each time the different patches were in effect. I am not sure if it is possible under a "windows" OS to go back and do a restore and that will do the same thing. If it is; then just refuse any "new" patches from Steam.

You are wrong my friend, that's what I assumed as well when I bought the game, so you are in good company, still it was a wrong assumption.

The first thing I did after I downloaded Civ5 was set the options like shown in the pic below, and it has stayed like that since day 1. Yet steam happily downloades Civ5 updates, that steam option is ignored by Civ5 and 2K also confirmed that.

The only option you have to keep your client not updated is to put Steam in offline mode, but I cannot do that because I have dozens of games on Steam and most of them are multiplayer.

I don't blame Steam at all by the way, they give developers the option, I blame 2k/Firaxis because they chose to negate that option to us.

Hi,

I liked the game more before the last patch. The AI using ICS tactics is so boring that I stopped playing Civ5. Also my mod only works with unpatched Civ5 and I don't have time/will to upgrade it.
Why don't you try Play with Me mod ? It makes ICS difficult & adds some cIV elements. :)

Top Bottom