Unit Buildings (Prerequisites)

Should there be Prerequisite Buildings for units?

• Prerequisite building for each individual unit?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Prerequisite building for similar groups of units?

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • No Prerequisite buildings?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other? If so please state what.

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters

Psychic_Llamas

Wizard in the Making
This is a thread for discussing whether or not there should be unit specific buildings in the WHFB mod (similar to in FfH).

Eg, to build an archer, crossbowman, longbowman, you must first build an archery range.
eg, to build a swordsman, axeman, spearman, you must first bulid a training yard.
eg, to build a griffon, pegasus, you must first build a Griffon Avary ete etc.

IDEAS
-Prerequisite buildings arnt necessary to build all the specified units, but instead grant those units an extra EXP bonus or specific promotion -- (by Woodelf)
-some units (ie spell casters, UU's, and very obscure units, like elephant riders) should still have preprequesit buildings needed to build them, but not recieve the "Expert" promotion like other units do.
. -instead have another building which can be built after the initial required building has been built which gives those units the 'expert' promotion
-No prerequisite for Warrior.
-Hunting lodge building for Scout, Explorers and other hunter type units (eg waywatchers)
-Archery range for archer, crossbowman, longbowman etc.
-Training yard for swordsman, axeman, spearman etc.
-Stables for Horseman, knight etc.
-Stables AND archery range for Horse archer etc.
-Seige workshop for all siege weapons EXEPT the brettonians trebuche (which can be built without it)

Psychic_Llamas said:
This is a thread for discussing whether or not there should be unit specific buildings in the WHFB mod (similar to in FfH).

Eg, to build an archer, crossbowman, longbowman, you must first build an archery range.
eg, to build a swordsman, axeman, spearman, you must first bulid a training yard.
eg, to build a griffon, pegasus, you must first build a Griffon Avary ete etc.

I agree for most units .. but not standard units of that era .. so warriors etcetera will be free of needing a building imo

I think it depends on whether or not you want to be different or similar to FfH. The AI struggles at times building prereq buildings. The first several test versions of FfH (0.50, 0.6, ect) were a nightmare since the AI built scouts only! It has come a long way, but still you find AI using warriors to defend in turn 200. :(

I think you should go a different route and have the building give a bonus to xp or a free promotion or 2. SO an archery range would give archers +5xp and combat 1, garrison 1. Stuff like that might work well.

edit - voted other

My work is now done.... :D

Seriously, that would be a nice fundamental change from FfH.

Could it be coded that the building also changed the pow by 1?

not sure about changing base power you could make a promotion like "Well trained" or "expert" or something which is granted to units built with their buildings in the city.
but you would have to ask Olleus or one o' them lot what are smarter den me about the base power;) it would be cool though.

We just have to wait to see what the rest of the team think of this first before we get too excited.:D

Yeah, the well trained or expert promo sounds cool, especially if the only way to get it were from the building. No amount of xp or levelling up has access.

It is impossible to change the base power of units, the closest you can get is a % bonus. I think, however, that giving extra experience is better as it gives more freedom to the player.

Tough I voted yes for groupprereqs I think some units should not be part of that schema.
Experience instead of strength is ok- that way it was planned by Duke if I remember correctly. I'm not sure about Siegeworks as prereg for all Siegeweapons. Imagine a Trebuchet often was build in the field but a cannon needs a fabric for it. The bretonian UU would be really unique this way and not just another cheap cannon etc.

That AI can be taught to use these buildings in an 'Intelligent' way.

Yeah, the AI can be taught, but the AI won't waste time building an archery range in non-core cities. Hence finding warriors and scouts mid to late game defending cities. I hate that personally.

Maybe only some prereq buildings for very exclusive units (woodelevn Wardancers, Dwarven Slayers, Blackorcs...).

And some buildings that give either a production bonus to certain units (siegeweapons for example) or give promotions/exp like the barracks and drydock do.

Top Bottom