"Unit Request Tournament" hosted by utahjazz7

Do you like the "Unit Request Tournament" idea?

• Yes

Votes: 42 97.7%
  • No

Votes: 1 2.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

utahjazz7

Deity
Introduction
I've been interested in hosting a unit lottery since Kinboat held his first back in, what? 2004, I think. But, I've never wanted to be forced to make a unit that I didn't want to. I think I've come up with a solution: a unit request tournament. Rather than have a random number generator pick from all of the submissions, I will select out the best requests and set up a tournament. The tournament pairings will be set up by randomly seeding the best requests. The winners of the tournament pairings will be determined by a random number generator.

Process
Submission Deadline
Everyone has until July 7, 2007, to submit one request.

Setting the Field
After July 7, 2007, I will select the best requests and set up a tournament field. The number of requests making it into the tournament depends on the number of requests, but is ultimately at my sole discression. For example, receiving around 16 requests would probably lead to a four request tournament; around 30 requests would probably lead to an eight request tournament.

Tournament
Sometime after the tournament field is selected and pairings determined, I will announce the tournament field. As the winners are determined, I will announce who advances through the tournament until the winner is ultimately announced.

Submission Rules
Requests per Person
Each person is allowed one requst. Any additional requests will result in a disqualification.

Either Or
Because I will be selecting the units which make it into the tournament field, no "either or" requests are allowed. "Either or" requests will be viewed as multiple requests and result in a disqualification.

Unit Types
Requests can be for any unit type, even if I've never done one before (e.g., ships, planes).

Seconding
You may second a request, if you wish, but it will only make the request more likely to make the tournament field in that the number of requests to choose from is smaller by one request. The same result would come from not placing a request, as seconded requests will not increase the overall number of requests and therefore not affect the size of the tournament field.

Discussion
Other than making one post to request a unit, do not post in this thread. Additional posts will result in a disqualification.

Selection Criteria
Unit Type
If you look at the units I've made, you'll notice that I'm most interested in making foot units and the occasional mounted unit. Still, if I see another unit type that sparks my interest, I'll include it in the field.

Need
I'm more inclined to make a unit that someone has a need for. A scenerio, a mod, whatever. Feel free to explain why you want the unit, or how the unit will help you.

Images
One of the strongest factors in determining which units I make is how the unit looks. If an image looks cool, I'm more likely to want to make it into a unit. As you can gather from that, images are important. I probably will not select a request unaccompanied by an image.

Uniqueness
The more unique the unit is, the more likely it is that it will be selected.

Possibility to Make
While I feel somewhat comfortable with my modeling skills, I will not select a request that I don't believe I can complete. Dragons and other crazy, fantasy beasts are probably out, sorry.

Micellaneous
Whatever else leads me to select a request. The above are just to help you make a reques with a good chance of being selected.

Announcements
Disclaimer
This is my first time running something like this. I reserve the right the make changes and updates as the process unfolds. Please, be patient.

Reserving a spot for a request...(Im leaning toward the Mayan hunters from Apocalypto)

My reason for requesting this unit, is I would like a "Darker" Meso unit as a Mercenary..the current Meso units are great for the most part, but I would like to add a mercenary that isnt "Ritualistic" looking, as the Meso units here tend to be very colorful and ceremonial

please note that I DO NOT expect the level of detail in the head piece and adornments...jawbone shoulder pads (among other details) would probably be a SOB to model...its just the idea of his style...and I want the crests/plumes/feather things on his head

great idea Utah...seems more interesting than the normal type of unit lottery...

since I only get 1 post, I also wanna say the Robs request was one I was concidering as well...another one I could really use for MWNN...good to see it in the running

this is a great idea :D

i request a police swat team, more than 1 person in the unit if possible

i will use this for my urban war scenario

Blue uniform with black vest may show up better than just black

There are many uses for such a unit, because there are few civilian shooter units in the game. ex the zombie scenario could also use this unit, or battle for NY

Awesome Idea utah!

Alright, I've always thought that your Rohirrim was your best work (not to mention the rest of your horse units, which are all among the best available IMHO) So not surprisingly, I'm requesting a cavalry unit.

What I'd like to see is an Imperial Tagmata from the time of Byzantium's defense against the March of Islam. As a base, I suggest this Angus McBride painting -

The historical unit served as cavalry for the empire after Cataphracts became economically and otherwise impractical. The Civ unit would serve as a great flavor unit for any Middle Eastern medieval civ - Arabs, Mamlukes, Persians or Turks. And it would be great as a more maneuverable upgrade to the cataphracts for the Byzantines.

I would think yoda and ed could find a place or two for this in an upgrade to MEM II.

And in a stunning shocker no one thinks this is a bad idea.
I too am thinking to ask for something meso-american or maybe african.
---
Ok I reguest a meso-american mounted unit. Should I win, I leave the specifics to the unit creator. It can be mounted on a horse or Llama. I am not particular if it is Aztec, Mayan or Ican. I would slightly prefer the unit to be pre-gunpowder.

I just would love to replace some of these european looking mounted units with semi-indigenous ones.

That said, to make the unit more specific (though I do not care all that much if the details are varied).

I request Spacer One's unit, but placed on a bareback horse (blanket, no saddle) or on a Llama. Silly thought it be, I would slightly prefer the Llama.

Definitely a good idea - sounds fun. Although if the pairings are determined just by a random number generator, presumably once you've selected the field you could resolve all the pairs in a matter of minutes and determine the overall winner. Or would you draw the process out a bit to add excitement...?

[EDIT] I'm going to wheel this request out again. The Tuareg Warrior! He will be made one day!

I need him to update my African scenario. I'm thinking of a foot unit, rather than a camel one, with a sword (although come to think of it, a camel-mounted Tuareg Warrior would be pretty awesome too).

Great idea!! Reserved, I'll probably request a late Greek unit.

This is the first poll I've seen with 100% votes for an option!! :D

Reserved! Oh, boy, this is going to be fun! :bounce: Thanks Uncle Utah!

While I like alot of other requests, I think you could be the right person to make this :) (more images in spoilers)

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

And you can see them in action in this movie! :drool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_KlINBUYc4&mode=related&search=

Mirc you will get discualified when you post more than once.

I will request an Muslim Knight. Basicly because we need one. The Ansar Warrior is too light, and the old Horseman by Utah fits better as a Horseman type unit.

I'm thinking some kind of mix between these different riders.

Great idea!! I'd like an Indian Chakra thrower for Indian civs to use in the Anno Domini Classic mod please. There's not many Indian units around; this would be a really great addition.

Here's an image; I'm sure you'll agree that he looks cool :cooool: !

Here's my submission:

I've wanted this guy for a long time. He's originally from WoT (a Shienaran), but I also think he could make a good upgrade from my Marauder unit for the Ungols in WH. (Plus I'm really hoping you make this guy, so you can then release the surcoat figure in your figures/props thread... something else I've been wanting for a while :))
- the surcoat would only need to cover the upper leg, not full length to cover all of his legs

Oh... and this is a GREAT idea. Thanks for doing this utah. :thumbsup:

You'd probably never guess it from my nom de guerre but I'm requesting a monkey warrior from Hanuman's army. He'd be useful in a lot of fantastical type mods, and would be an important UU in the Bharata mod I'm slowly developing.

These guys kick butt like SEALs or SAS. They've got paradrop ability (Hanuman jumped from India to Sri Lanka and also from the Himalayas to the plains while carrying a whole mountain peak for protection from missile attack). They fight in any uniform from their birthday suits (available in a range of hues) to royal armor. Their weapon of choice is a big stick/mace, but they also love boulder tossing and improvised incendiary devices.

If one of these guys makes it through the tournament, I'll happily provide some appropriate sound files of angry monkey chatter (courtesy of the Balinese Kecak ceremony).

Thumbnail

And now for something completely different - a man with a tape recorder up his nose. No, that's not it.

The one thing all decent fantasy mods are lacking today:
a traditional witch!

The flying monkey is optional; a black cat, a kettle or a teapot may suffice as her parafernalia.

Armed Citizen/Citizen militia (Basically a civillian with a rifle) I leave the final form up to your discretion, but something along the lines of a cowboy or something like that would be preferable.

I need this unit for the Final Fantasy mod, and I'm sure other mods, such as EFZI could use this as well.

Just some modern U.S infantry. There reall isn't any. (I do need this.)
Cubsfan6506

This, I think, would make a great unit...

If posible, I'd like a hurricane/cyclone unit, that spans across the eight squares around it, and is most likely at the height of aircraft. All I would need is a rotating.flc and die.flc; those alone can be used for every animation that exists. :)

Would like to see this unit made; posted on THE unit request page, but nothn's happening. :confused:

Top Bottom