Unusual tips!

S.O.T MAHak

Warlord
Like:

1. When you are early exploring, if you find a river zoom in to see which way it's flowing. If you follow it's direction you will eventually find where it exit into a body of water.

2. I don't know if anybody else noticed but it seems to me that since the new patch, if move a horseman/knight/cavalry/etc onto a hill/forest tile it will use 3 movement points instead of 2, like pre fall patch.

Anybody else got some unusual tips to share?!

#2 Is intentional and has been in place since Vanilla CD version.

Hills base cost is 2.
Forest is +1 on top of base terrain.

So here is a very unusual tip:

If you are playing multiplayer and don't like something on turn zero, move your settler, and then next turn type "barbs!" delete your settler and gracefully (perhaps the wrong word for sure) and exit the game. See, you didn't quit the game, you lost the game! Screen with giant buried statue appears, a complete game has been played!

Believe it or not, losing a settler on turn 1 does happen in MP... the barbs will spawn AND move beginning of turn before you can react, and if you move your settler on turn 1 without the warrior on it there is a chance of this happening!

what happens more often is ppl cheating like you suggested, and it will happen even more thank to you

So here is a very unusual tip:

If you are playing multiplayer and don't like something on turn zero, move your settler, and then next turn type "barbs!" delete your settler and gracefully (perhaps the wrong word for sure) and exit the game. See, you didn't quit the game, you lost the game! Screen with giant buried statue appears, a complete game has been played!

Believe it or not, losing a settler on turn 1 does happen in MP... the barbs will spawn AND move beginning of turn before you can react, and if you move your settler on turn 1 without the warrior on it there is a chance of this happening!

That is awful, and does not actually ever happen. Don't endorse horrible multiplayer behaviour.

I think somebody who plants the city, plays a few turns, and then quits is much worse than somebody who deletes the settler at the start.:mad:

In public games with random strangers, most of the time somebody will quit early in the game. If a player has a bad start and they want to leave the game, they will play a littlefirst while being hopeful (thinking they find El Dorado or something strong close by to make up for bad start) before quitting.

Once they quit, the game is contaminated by an AI civ. With all humans and 1 AI, some lucky player will get to exploit the unintelligent AI and it throws the game balance off. Sometimes it is a race to who can click the fastest to get deals done with the AI.:eek:

So a 5 human game to me is much preferable than a 5 human + 1 AI game.;)

To try to bring back on topic... I'm not sure if this was introduced on BNW or is working as intended, but once you meet the first AI, open up a trade dialogue, choose other players and you'll see a list of all AI in the game. May help planning ahead on diety.

This is clearly a bug, introduced with the latest hotfix (see the Bug Reports forum).

In the past, Firaxis has consistently tried to stamp out instances where unmet civs are revealed. (Remember when you could see which unmet civ founded a religion, or when CSs would howl about an unmet civ that was bullying them?)

I just read this from reddit earlier, could be great if someone can confirm it.

Putting a city on top of a marble will instantly give you 15% Wonder production bonus WITHOUT having to research masonry.

If your scout encounters an AI road outside it's borders, connecting two cities that don't have contiguous borders, pillage it. It is not considered an act of war. Their trade route will be disrupted until it is repaired, but they still have to pay maintenance on the roads. It's a fun little passive-aggressive way to stick it to the AI with zero consequences.

I just read this from reddit earlier, could be great if someone can confirm it.

Putting a city on top of a marble will instantly give you 15% Wonder production bonus WITHOUT having to research masonry.

That is correct.

At the WC, propose nuclear non-proliferaton. A lot of the AI civs like that so they will vote for it. On the turn before or the turn of, rush buy every nuke you can.

If you plan it right, you will be the only country in the world with usable nukes.:mwaha:

Thanks to the OP for the tip about the rivers.

My tip -- when building a settler, a city cannot starve. That means you can assign citizens to tiles that maximize production without worrying about whether or not the city has enough food. This can shave a turn or two off the time it takes to build a settler. (Just don't forget to immediately correct the situation once the settler is built.)

If you want to sell strategic resources to AI, try to sell it by one for 2g each.
For me that worked in 50%, once I sold 6 early iron for 12 gold per turn. (which is a lot early).

The only downtime is that it is annoying to make 6 deals instead of one :)

(Also sometimes you can trade strategic resources for luxury, but that should be obvious.)

If you want to sell strategic resources to AI, try to sell it by one for 2g each.
For me that worked in 50%, once I sold 6 early iron for 12 gold per turn. (which is a lot early).

The only downtime is that it is annoying to make 6 deals instead of one :)

(Also sometimes you can trade strategic resources for luxury, but that should be obvious.)

To add on to this, if I am trying to trade a LUX for a LUX and the AI is not going for it, without some gold, I usually just throw on like 1 horses or 1 Iron and they will go for it.

This is probably a bug, but sometimes the AI will give you fair resource trades even when they hate you.

This applies to luxury/strategic trades as well. For example, if they have 5 oil, and you have 2 sugar, and normally they would only offer you 3gpt for the sugar, you can trade the sugar for 5 oil. Or if they have 2 salt and you have 2 sugar, they'll trade them evenly, but would charge you 16gpt for the salt, and only offer 3gpt for your sugar... I think it's a bug.

Anyway, one thing you can do with this is trade your own oil to people who you are friendly with for cash.

This aspect of it isn't a bug:

Monte doesn't value his horses. Pachacuti wants your horses. So you trade your iron, which you don't need, and nobody wants, for Monte's horses, and trade your horses for Pachacuti's gold. This can get you in trouble if Monte DoWs you though...

The fact that you can get good deals from people who hate you though, that might be a bug. Sometimes they don't value *your* excess resources, but they should always value their own.

Thanks to the OP for the tip about the rivers.

My tip -- when building a settler, a city cannot starve. That means you can assign citizens to tiles that maximize production without worrying about whether or not the city has enough food. This can shave a turn or two off the time it takes to build a settler. (Just don't forget to immediately correct the situation once the settler is built.)

Does that mean when under siege and the ai blocks all your food tiles your city wont starve if you make it build settler? If yes then this is great. I once had a city drop 3 pop during a siege.

Top Bottom