Upcoming vacation - server downtime

DaveShack

Inventor
Retired Moderator
I will be taking my family out of town from March 14th (22:00 GMT-7) thru 21st (~20:00). I would like to shut down the computer for those days. This system is getting to be pretty old, enough that leaving it powered on completely unattended would not be a good idea.

If a backup host can be available, it would be possible to keep the game active. Finding someone could be problematic, but wouldn't hurt to try. :)

Taking the game down isn't a huge issue if it's only a week. However, if someone else can host in the meantime that'd be great, of course.

Whoah, we are jumping the gun here. What about the D in MTDG?

We should first have a vote on whether Daveshack and his family are allowed to go on holiday.

:)

I for one vote to have him forcibly chained to his computer, and hooked up to a machine that makes him follow my every command.

But that's just me.

Whoah, we are jumping the gun here. What about the D in MTDG?

We should first have a vote on whether Daveshack and his family are allowed to go on holiday.

:)

:lol: I certainly was not expecting a response like that.

I feel like I need more information.

Are you going on vacation somewhere really cool?
I mean, if you're going to Hawaii or the Bahamas or something, I'd probably vote to allow you to go.

If you're just going to Minnesota to visit relatives, I think I'll have to vote with lermfish to have you chained to the computer.

:D

Seriously - thanks for the heads-up Daveshack. Hope you have a nice vacation!

In that case, they are "Honorary DaveShack" and must obey our every whim.

Update: A shorter trip is back on. :)

Someone will be home, so it won't be necessary to shut down the server. However restarting from a crash is a bit too complicated for them, so don't mess it up.

If it does disconnect without crashing completely, turns would flip over with turn autosaves but we could go back to the last player autosave.

How long for DS? I've asked a mod over at Poly if he could host while you were away, and he said he could try it out; might it not be safer to switch over, or are you only going afk for a few days? (In which case just restarting the server before you leave might be more prudent?)

Thank you for the heads up btw :)

Reboot the server before you leave and it should be fine...

Top Bottom